Isla Margarita Travel Answers

change location
HannIan's Profile Photo

UK - Margarita 1st time

by HannIan Online Now May 14, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Hiya,

We have just booked a 14 night holiday to Margarita for March next year. Before we booked it we had never heared of the island and struggled to find it on a map which made us want to go more!

Where are the best places to eat/drink? We are staying at the Playa Caribe Hotel I think, has anybody been? what is it like? What are the locals like? What are the typcal torist things to buy?

Any info we would love.

Thanks,

hannah and ian

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • graememooney's Profile Photo

Re: UK - Margarita 1st time

by graememooney Online Now Nov 2, 2007 at 2:55 AM

Hi Hannah & Ian. You're in for an unexpected treat. We went to Margarita in February having never heard of the island before either. I just happened upon the listing looking for inexpensive holidays south, primarily looking for Cuba and found it. We had a fantastic time and I've written a bit on my homepage about it as well as some pics. We liked it so much that we have now booked for jan 16-23 at the same hotel. If you're used to 5 star resorts/hotels you may be disappointed, but if you are looking for basic amenities and a great weather/topography location then you will enjoy yourself. I highly recommend the one-day jeep tour around the island; just don't spend the day before on the beach and get sunburned like I did, as there is an hour or two stopover at the westernmost beach which you will enjoy unless you are not fried :P The tour cost us20 USD each. The snorkelling tour we took was a bit less exciting but still worth it.

Last time and this stay we are booked in at the Palm Beach Hotel at Playa El Agua which I believe is not far from where you are staying (not sure). The stretch of beach there is amazing, but watch the undertow if you are one who goes out far in the water.

Exchange your cash at a tourist office that you will find along the beach. I don't recommend exchanging at the official exchange bureau as it will lose you a potential 30% on your cash.

I'll give you an update in January if you remind me :D

Graeme.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines