Isla Holbox

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• jet ski or wave runnerpulling a raft

Cancún Apr 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM

We are staying at RIU Palace Peninsula. We saw a jet ski/wave runner pulling an inflatable raft with several people inside. Is there a company in Cancun offering this? How do I find out more information?

more
    • things to do with kids

Playa del Carmen Apr 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Are there any special events happening in June 2014

more
    • Liv4thebeach's Profile Photo

Cheap place to stay on South end of beach

Tulum Apr 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Does anyone know of good place to stay on South end of beach close to Sian Ka'an reserve? We stayed at Rancho San Eric last year and loved it but it is $210/nt. we really just need privacy and a place to sleep. Pretty easy going. Thought about staying with "naked beach guy" on the reserve but I think that's a little much for me.
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
      Thanks!

more
    • jet ski or wave runnerpulling a raft

Cancún Apr 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM

We are staying at RIU Palace Peninsula. We saw a jet ski/wave runner pulling an inflatable raft with several people inside. Is there a company in Cancun offering this? How do I find out more information?

more
    • Travel Between Hotels

Puerto Morelos Apr 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Hi, I am going to Puerto Morelos in a few weeks for a wedding and wondering if there is a bus that goes between the hotels? I am staying at the Ocean Coral and Turquesa and need to get to the Azul Sensori.

Thanks!

more
    • Gift Certificate

Cancún Apr 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Do you know where I can buy a dinner certificate in Cancun for a good restaurant...? My friends is getting married in Cancun and I want to send  them a nice gift :)

more
    • fishing in playa Del Carmen

Playa del Carmen Mar 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM

If staying at campground at xel-ha are you able
      To put your boat in the water easy. Can you easily
      Drive on sand with truck??

more
    • May weather

Cancún Yesterday

Hello I'm going to cancun on 5th may to the 16th. Iv looked online at weather reports for this time and everyday is meant to be raining and thunderstorms , I'm gutted :( does anyone know if they last all day?

more
    • must do 's in playadel carmen area

Cancún Apr 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM

hello my wife and i r traveling to cancun for the end of june and was up in the air about wat things we must do in a short 7 day vacate ? and wat package would be best worth it ?

more
    • hagarx7's Profile Photo

Where is good place to stay

Playa del Carmen Mar 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I want to visit the lay del Carmen and surrounding areas and would like to stay on the beach. I also want quiet...not clubs til 5 a.m. or construction at 7 a.m. I plan to get a car. What is a good hotel? I am open to all inclusive or non, but must having parking.

more
    • Canabis conviction

Cancún Apr 4, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Can I go on holiday to Mexico if I've been convicted of canabis please. Travel agent never said . Scared as going in a few weeks for two weeks

more
    • GinetteM's Profile Photo

Crossing on the ferry with a 35 feel long motor home

by GinetteM Online Now Mar 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Can someone tell me if we can cross the motor home on the ferry.
      We have already spend 5 month in our motor home in Mexico a few years ageo my question is about taking the ferry to get to Holbox..

1 Answer Mar 21, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    • GinetteM's Profile Photo

motor home

by GinetteM Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Can i get there with my motor home 35 feet?

3 Answers Mar 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    • Travel to Holbox

by Marc_lippy Online Now Oct 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Looking for any possible travel direct from Mujeres to Holbox ( ie water taxi private boat) We are Going 2nd week Nov 2013

• Boat going directly from Isla Mujeres to Isla Holbox?

by Anne2013 Online Now Aug 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Is there a boat that goes directly from Isla Mujeres to Isla Holbox? Is it possilble to charter or hire local fisherman to take you and doe anyone know how much the trip will cost?

2 Answers Aug 18, 2013 at 3:52 AM
    • safety question

by Lolalou Online Now Jul 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I am traveling to Holbox next week. I am concerned regarding safety (I am traveling with 4 children) and Dengue which I keep reading about. Any real cause for concern?

1 Answer Aug 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    • transportation

by jtoffeequeen Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Is there a boat that goes between Isla Mujeres or mainland (Cancun side) to Isla Holbox? Possilble boat charter or hire local fisherman to take you?

1 Answer Mar 27, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    • Looking for name of local band

by rantanplan Online Now Apr 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Hello,
      when I went to Holbox last year we came across a local band playing at one of the restaurants. They consisted of 4 older gentlemen and one woman and they sounded a bit like Buena Vista Social Club. Any idea what they are called and if there is a way to get in touch with them?

Thanks everyone!

• wpfpenn's Profile Photo

Holbox in mid January Hurricanes and Mosquitoes???

by wpfpenn Online Now Dec 3, 2011 at 1:15 AM

hi there

i am really wanting to visit Holbox as it sounds and looks amazing BUT my wife has a problem with mosquitoes

we live in Ibiza in spain and experience them here but is it unbearable in Holbox in January ?

Are they a problem after dark ? or is mainly sunset ?

Also are we late enough to be clear of Hurricane season ?

Or is it all worth it for the holiday and the location and peace we will have there???

many thanks for your help

4 Answers Dec 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    • Getting there

by georgehill Online Now Oct 25, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Does anyone have the name of a car service that will take me from Cancun to the ferry to Isla Holbox?

3 Answers Nov 18, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    • Details about Isla Holbox

by jrustici Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Hi everyone and thanks in advanced for your help. I have a few questions concerning my upcoming Honeymoon to Holbox.
      1) We are planning on doing a Whale Shark Snorkle, all the companies I see are out of Cancun, is there a company straight from Holbox? If so what is the name and do we need to arrange a boat before we get there (end of June)?
      2) I understand its in the gulf and probably doesnt have reefs, but is the a dive shop on the island? My fiance and I are Marine Biologists and can be easily entertained diving on sand flats or seagrass beds :)
      3) When is sea turtle nesting or hatching season? Are there certain beaches you can go to in an attempt to see them?

Does anyone have any other advice for us? We like to travel without the nuisance of Tourists (ironic right?) and we do like to be with the locals and get off the beaten path, which is all why we chose this wonderful Island.

With the foot of snow we have on the ground and more to come June can not be here soon enough!

1 Answer Feb 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    • Hearing a lot about biting insects at Holbox

by beardenboy Online Now Dec 29, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Traveling with my wife and daughter (1 year) to Casa de las Tortugas in mid-January and we're getting a bit nervous reading so many posts about trips being cut short due to the biting insects, etc. We're used to bugs and traveling 'off the grid', but we're nervous about our daughter. Does anyone have any recent information or reports from Isla Holbox? We'd rather not spend our vacation swatting insects or (worse yet) rubbing DEET all over our daughter, but we just don't know what think. Some say it was the best time, etc. and others say it was a nightmare. Is the truth someplace in between?

2 Answers Dec 31, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    • When is a good time?

by Elisatravel Online Now Feb 11, 2009 at 10:45 PM

When is a good time to come to Isla Holbox? I know the flamingos are there begining April and the whale sharks in the summer. Mostly I am interested in taking a group there to visit the dolphins.

But I react badly to mosquito and tabano bites. At what time of year are there the least biting insects?

3 Answers Feb 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    • Isla Holbox to Playa del Carmen

by oc200 Online Now May 20, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Hi, I'm new to the board.
      The misses and I will be staying for 7 days in Holbox and moving on the Playa del Carmen for 6 more. What is the best way to get to Playa? I'm assuming I need to get to Chiquila by ferry first and catch a bus somehow?
      What are my options?

Thanks ni advance.

6 Answers Jun 26, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    • Bus schedule to Merida

by Mike4284m Online Now Mar 30, 2008 at 5:49 AM

I'm having some trouble finding scheduled times that buses leave Chiquila. Does anyone know how often they run from Chiquila to Merida? Is there someplace that has the schedule listed? Thanks!

3 Answers Jun 26, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    • Questions about Holbox

by lissa21 Online Now Mar 26, 2008 at 7:37 PM

My husband and I are thinking of visiting late June/early July and his only concern is the water. He wants crystal clear blue water like in the Caribbean. Everything else about the island seems perfect and exactly what we are looking for. Can anyone comment on the clarity and "blueness" of the water? We are thinking of staying at Villas Paraiso del Mar. How is the food? My husband is a picky eater. And, is the suite worth the100 more than the junior suite?

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Jun 26, 2008 at 7:28 AM
    • Diving or snorkling with whale shark ?

by bsillard Online Now Mar 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM

I would like to be on Holbox in august and to dive with whale shark . I have PADI certification. Is it possible or snorkling is just possible?

4 Answers Jul 24, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    • bus from Merida to Chiquilá

by madstar123 Online Now Feb 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THE BUS IS?

3 Answers Jun 26, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    • Road_runner's Profile Photo

Cancun-Holbox

by Road_runner Online Now Jan 6, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Hi
      We arrive in Canun 7;30 pm, would it still be possible to make it to Holbox that evening ? If so, what would be the best way ?
      Thanks
      Valerie

3 Answers Feb 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM
    • photozrus's Profile Photo

ferry to isla holbox

by photozrus Online Now Dec 16, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Is there a ferry, boat or water taxi from Isla Mujeres to Isla Holbox?

2 Answers Jan 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM
    • Best things to do in Holbox

by maggiesam Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 9:03 PM

We are going to Holbox for one week at the end of November. Anyone have suggestions of the best things to do or see? Would appreciate any tips. Thanks.

3 Answers Oct 23, 2007 at 4:28 PM
    • LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo

Whale Sharks

by LuisGuimaraes Online Now Jun 26, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Hey!

In Cancun, theyre selling tours for one day to Isla Holbox, for 200 USD, including snorkelling with whale sharks, transportation there and meals.

Do you think this is a good deal, or would it be cheaper to get a bus and a boat to Holbox, spend a night there, book a snorkelling tour and come backto cancun..?!?

Thanks...

4 Answers Jun 26, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    • Tip to travel from Cancun Airport to Holbox Isla

by petiteifairie Online Now Feb 8, 2007 at 7:30 AM

I need tips/help about getting to Holbox from the Cancun Airport. I know I can take a bus to Chiquila from downtown Cancun bus terminal but I can't find any information about getting from the airport to there. Also is it better to take the taxi to to Chiquila.

Thank you in advance for any info you may have.

4 Answers Mar 8, 2007 at 9:20 AM
    • Local Advice for Isla

by Fran_Kitch Online Now Feb 3, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Hi. I am actually a frequent visiter of Isla Mujeres and I am so disappointed in what is has become. I found info about Holbox and it seems to be what IM used to be. I was hoping to hear from some locals, if they post here. I am putting together a plan to visit. I am not into the big resorts. A nice small hotel without all the "extras" will do fine. I also noticed the larger hotels seem to have the restaurants. What about local restaurants that aren't run by foreigners?

Thank you for any info!
      Frances

5 Answers Mar 22, 2008 at 5:51 AM
    • Mosquitoes and Hurricane damage

by pterminal Online Now Jan 29, 2007 at 11:58 AM

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Isla Holbox in mid-July of '07 and have two concerns:

1. Has the island recovered from damage sustained by Hurricane Wilma?

2. Are the mosquitoes unbearable? From what I read, they come out in droves at night. They don't bother me but my girlfriend is constantly attacked and I don't want her vacation ruined by them.

It would be most appreciated if anyone could provide any information regarding either of these.

Thanks,
      -pterminal

1 Answer Feb 21, 2007 at 12:34 PM
    • September & October In Holbox

by Bifter Online Now Aug 3, 2006 at 7:21 AM

Hi All,

Me and my girlfriend are visiting Holbox for the first time arriving on September 19th and staying for 2 weeks. We have booked 1 week at Villas Delfines and have booked nothing else. Has anyone else been at this time of year?? Any advice on hotels, trips.... or with any stories that'll make us smile. my email is richard_conway@hotmeil.com

Thanks

Richard & Emily

3 Answers Aug 8, 2006 at 1:45 AM
    • lolacat's Profile Photo

Best time to travel?

by lolacat Online Now Apr 19, 2006 at 9:28 AM

Hi! :-)
      I have been researching a lot about Isla Holbox and will be going with my boyfriend soon. I'm wondering when the best time of year to go is? We were thinking in November or December...any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
      Stacy :-)

2 Answers Apr 23, 2006 at 1:25 PM
    • Tanyaslc's Profile Photo

Where to Stay??????

by Tanyaslc Online Now Jan 19, 2006 at 11:52 AM

My husband and I are planning a trip to Isla Holbox in January 2007. Where is the nicest place to stay? Villa Delfines, Villas Paraiso Del Mar, Xaloc, Casa Sandra?? I've seen some bad reviews for Faro Viejo. Any information would be appreciated. Also - how long/bad is the drive from Cancun? How about fishing - how much does it run?

5 Answers Jan 26, 2007 at 10:37 PM
    • Isla Holbox

by Nashville_gato Online Now Feb 16, 2005 at 6:34 PM

Greetings from Music City. We're heading down to Isla Holbox over Spring Break and wanted to hear anyone's recommendations for where to eat, who to hire for fishing, getting to the nearby islands, etc. Also, if you have advice on hiring a taxi to get from Cancun Airport to Chiquila, I'd love to hear it. The hotel at which we're staying has an airport pickup, but it seems much too expensive. Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated! Thank you all so much!

2 Answers Mar 24, 2005 at 1:51 PM
    • Isla Holbox/Xaloc

by thomas.t Online Now Jan 4, 2005 at 5:30 AM

Hello, has anyone stayed at the Xaloc Resort at Isla Holbox and can tell us something about it? It should be very nice. Thanks and best wishes, Thomas

1 Answer Feb 16, 2005 at 6:36 PM
    • Isla Holbox: Mosquitos in January?

by Nieks Online Now Nov 29, 2004 at 5:02 AM

Hi, I've spent a week at Holbox in August 2001 and I loved it. The only thing I didn't like were the huge amounts of mosquitos that appeared in the evening. I want to go to Yuactan in January and maybe also to Holbox. My question: are there always many mosquitos at Holbox and if not, is January a good month to go there? Thanks, Niek

2 Answers Mar 17, 2006 at 7:37 AM