Isla Holbox Travel Answers

change location

Isla Holbox to Playa del Carmen

by oc200 Online Now May 20, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Hi, I'm new to the board.
The misses and I will be staying for 7 days in Holbox and moving on the Playa del Carmen for 6 more. What is the best way to get to Playa? I'm assuming I need to get to Chiquila by ferry first and catch a bus somehow?
What are my options?

Thanks ni advance.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: Isla Holbox to Playa del Carmen

by YVRDave Online Now May 20, 2008 at 12:29 PM

You would buss to Cancun Central Station and then on to PDC. It should be pretty easy.

Have fun

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • NorCal08's Profile Photo

by NorCal08 Online Now May 20, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Saludos. We are on our way to Holbox for seven days as well at the end of June. You can also arrange for private transfer if you don't feel like taking a bus, which can be up to a 3.5 hour ride between Chiquila and Cancun. This will be our second visit and having tried the bus, Iwe are opting for a quicker, more expedient trip between Cancun and Holbox. Have fun. Gary

• Re: Isla Holbox to Playa del Carmen

by oc200 Online Now May 24, 2008 at 9:36 AM

My hotel is offering a transfer service from the airport to the hotel and back for140 each way. Is that a reasonable price? They state that it will take approximately 3 hours. What do you guys think?

• NorCal08's Profile Photo

by NorCal08 Online Now May 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Personally, I have opted to spend the cash and get where I'm going. The cost you were quoted is commensurate with what I am paying. It really comes down to a question of whether time is more precious then money. There are those that will argue that not taking the bus will deny you the opportunity to mingle with local people. I don't suscribe to that line of thought and having taken the bus on our previous trip, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

by tikihut Online Now Jun 7, 2008 at 6:17 AM

holbox is great,so is playa del carmen just came back a few weeks ago from playa,I go a few times a year. as far as going to playa from chiquila,there were not any direct bus lines, we had to go to cancun and the take a bus to playa.the bus line is ADO.( that was a couple years ago)when you are in holbox be sure to go have dinner at mi capricho,It`s amazing,but make a reservation,the chef is french and kinda grouchy and they don`t take walk ups.if you don`t already have a place to stay casa las tortugas is wonderful.als be sure to bring baby oil,it`s the only thing to stop these evil bugs from biting,once the get you,you will have bumps the size of golf balls & they even chase you into the water!

by IHX Online Now Jun 26, 2008 at 7:16 AM

The buses from Chiquila to Cancun leave at 5:30am, 7:30am, and 1:30pm. The cost is 74 pesos, and they will either be Mayab or Noreste buses. In Cancun the ADO buses to PDC leave every 15 minutes or so and cost around 34 pesos.

Mi Capriccio was destroyed by Wilma in October 2005. It no longer exists. Alain and Sonia have a wonderful gourmet restaurant now in Cancun called DuMexique on the corner of Avenida Bonampak and Pargo. I highly recommend it. You will also need reservations at this restaurant, as they only have 6 tables. Alain is an incomparable chef. PH: 998-884-5919 or 884-5889

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines