Isla Cozumel Travel Answers

change location

Dec. Cruise

by koolmom Online Now Nov 18, 2005 at 6:52 PM

I am bringing my children (13,9,7 )to Cozumel on their first cruise, What types of family things are available and open since Wilma passed through? Is everthing pretty much cleaned up & back to normal after the hurricane? I would love to know of websites to see updates pics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • andy3k's Profile Photo

RE: Dec. Cruise

by andy3k Online Now Mar 19, 2006 at 8:53 PM

I just came back from Cozumel. To be honest, the roads and many of the buildings look just fine but the non-existant beaches, fallen trees, and busted up buildings are still obvious. Yes, the green is starting to return to the trees and most of the hotels, restaurants, and shops are up and going. Still, I didn't see too much that would appeal to kids except maybe the horseback riding and the go-karts that are available if you look for them. Chankanaab, the state park where kids are usually directed, is still closed, as is several of the beach clubs.

My best recommendation for kids is taking the ferry (45 minutes and11 per person each way) to Playa Del Carmen and hit the beach that is just to the north of the port (walking distance). You'll find beautiful plantlife, beautiful beach, and much less of Wilma's destruction. Another option, if it is available on your cruise or if you are an enterprising individual, is a visit to Puerto Aventuras. It's more commercial but has beautiful scenery and a marina including dolphins, sea lions, manatee and more.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines