Isla Catalina Travel Answers

change location
windoweb's Profile Photo

Anyone been here?

by windoweb Online Now Jul 25, 2008 at 2:34 AM

My husband Mike and I will be in La Romana March 2009. I would like to possibly go snorkeling at Isla Catalina. Is it worth the trouble? We have been to Punta Cana and did the excursion to Isla Saona. It was great. How does this excursion compare?
Thanks,
Cath

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Re: Anyone been here?

by marielexoteria Online Now Jul 25, 2008 at 2:37 AM

For once, Catalina is smaller than Saona and perhaps with another kind of beach/flora/fauna. I haven't been there, but I think you should go for it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • windoweb's Profile Photo

by windoweb Online Now Jul 26, 2008 at 4:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. We will take our snorkel gear and prepare to go.

by marielexoteria Online Now Jul 26, 2008 at 10:34 PM

I might do that this winter (visit Catalina, I barely can swim hehe), so I'll let you know.

by windoweb Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 8:05 AM

I found information on cost from our resort Casa del Mar La Romana. It is only40 per person for a half day snorkel trip. I hope to go on the excursion while there in March.
    Cath

by marielexoteria Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Awesome. While you're at La Romana, be sure to include Altos de Chavón and one of the best kept secrets of the DR: La cueva de las maravillas (the cave of wonders), if time and$ allow it.

Altos de Chavón is a Mediterranean inspired village constructed in the 1960s (I think). It has an amphitheater where concerts are held and a school of design.

The cave of wonders is a place where Taíno aborigins used to live and hide and what not. They left carvings on the stone (no photography in the cave is allowed) and people tell me they have modernized the facilities to make it more tourist friendly (as in they have installed pathways and elevators so that the disabled can enjoy it too). If you're going by yourselves, take a bus going to San Pedro de Macorís or Santo Domingo and tell the cobrador (the guy collecting the fares from people) to leave you there (they all know where it is) or take a taxi for more comfort.

Happy travels :)

by windoweb Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Thanks for the wealth of information. I will share it with my husband and family who are traveling with us.
    Cath

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Isla Catalina