Isla Amantani Travel Answers

change location

Isla Amantani tea

by seatech Online Now Aug 31, 2004 at 9:18 PM

I'm currently cataloging my trip to Peru and would like to remember what the tea was called that we drank for aclimatising to the altitude? I think it was Matte de Muenier. Anyone know?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Amorcitaa's Profile Photo

Re: Isla Amantani tea

by Amorcitaa Online Now Sep 1, 2004 at 5:22 PM

the name is Matted de coca...and it`s very good for altitude problems...:)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • p4trizi4's Profile Photo

Re: Isla Amantani tea

by p4trizi4 Online Now Sep 7, 2004 at 11:26 AM

It is mate de muna or mugna it is special plant that grown really in altitude. so de mugna.... Coca leaves grows more close to the jungle. greatings Patricia

• Re: Isla Amantani tea

by Mario_from_Peru Online Now Sep 7, 2004 at 1:05 PM

The right drink is mate de coca. Coca plants grow in mid-high valleys of the eastern side of the andes, in the zone we call "selva alta" (high jungle) or "ceja de selva" (eyebrow of the jungle), but you can find coca leaves everywhere in the andes. It is common to find little bags (the same size of an eyeglasses case). The price is 0.50 soles for one of this bags. In the industrial version you will find boxes with 25 sacks similar to tea sacks, the prices is around 2 soles, and 0.10 for one sack. A good coca tea (I think) should be prepared using ten leaves (in Lima I use the little sacks, but don't like them). One more tip, remember that coca leaves are not drug. Muña is also very good and helpful for stomach problems. Good complement for coca. Enjoy my country.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Isla Amantani