Irving Travel Answers

change location

Super 8 Hotel DFW Airport North

by dragonannie Online Now Sep 26, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Thinking of staying here when we have an overnight layover in Dallas. We will probably arrive about 9pm. We won't have a car so are there any restaurants within walking distance? If not, are there any reasonably priced airport hotels which would be more suitable? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Super 8 Hotel DFW Airport North

by mccalpin Online Now Sep 26, 2007 at 3:48 PM

This is not a real populated area, but because there are businesses around, there are also some restaurants - but do check on the hours as they probably do more lunch than dinner traffic.

About 0.4 miles to the east of the hotel is the intersection of Estes Boulevard and John Carpenter Freeway (better known locally as "114"). At this intersection are three places, according to maps.yahoo.com - "Ashley's Restaurant & Club", "Choice Restaurant", and "Pizza Inn". I invite you to look them up for hours. There are several other places within a mile.

You can do the same thing by going to maps.yahoo.com , entering "4770 W. John Carpenter Frwy, irving, texas" as the hotel's address, then "Find a Business on the map" and look for restaurants...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Super 8 Hotel DFW Airport North

by dragonannie Online Now Sep 27, 2007 at 4:35 AM

thanks for the tip Bill - looks like I should think of another hotel. (Or pack some sandwiches!!)

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Super 8 Hotel DFW Airport North

by mccalpin Online Now Sep 27, 2007 at 7:38 AM

The problem is that we in Texas assume that everyone has a rent car, so there's little need to build urban type centers where you can walk to everything...

There is Las Colinas which is on 114 several miles (8?) east of the airport - this was actually built as a office/restaurant/hotel/canals complex...but the hotel here is the 4 Seasons...not a budget hotel...actually, you ought to look to see if there is another hotel in the complex itself. The problem is going to be that the phrase "Las Colinas" is used for a broader area than that complex :-(.

There are dozens of restaurants within a few hundred yards of the intersection of McArthur and 114, but I don't know about hotels; they seem to be a quarter to a half mile away from the intersection...except for the Hilton Garden Inn (see hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/e... ) that is perhaps 300 yards from a cluster of restaurants.

Or let's go back to someplace closer to the airport - the intersection of Esters Boulevard and Royal Lane (just north of your Super 8). Just south of this intersection is a Ramada Inn, a Wingate Inn, and a Red Roof Inn. Also just south of this intersection is a Denny's with a Piazza Inn a few hundred feet farther south. I am not sure, but I would assume that the Denny's is next door to one of the hotels. In any case, that gives you more to look for...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines