Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• jayacqua's Profile Photo

Travel concerns given current events

Moscow Apr 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Hi,
      I have a layover in Moscow between NYC and Prague, and I heard that the airport is not exchanging US currency. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

more
    • About hotels

Respublika Kareliya Mar 31, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Is there any hotels or accommodation in KEM or LOUKHI ? Please tell me

more
    • Rent a car and driver

Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Mar 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Can you rent a car and driver in Yuzhno Salinsk that will pick you up and drop you back to the cruise ship terminal in Korsakov? If so any idea how much per hour or for 4 -5 hours? Thankyou.

more
    • english speaking 1.5 day world war 2 tour

Volgograd Mar 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM

we are 2 couples coming at the beginning of July , could we get offers for a 1.5 guided tour based on world war 2 events ?

more
    • Travel by car

Russia Apr 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I'm planing on going to Russia this may, and i need few informations. Traveling by my own car, i'm wondering how much do taxes on the border cost (i'm staying for about 3,4 days)? Is it cheaper if i come through belarus then baltic countries?

more
    • nuppe's Profile Photo

Visum and boat

Saint Petersburg Mar 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I have heard you don't need a visum/visa if you go to St. Petersburg by ferry and leave Russian within 72 hours. Does that mean that I can arrive with boat and leave with plane, or would I have to leave the same way as I arrived?

more
    • russian visa from u.k

Moscow Apr 3, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Hi all,
      i need an visa company in the uk who would also supply me with invitation letters,i spoke to someone at such a company last year,but having recently just moved i can`t find anything,i`ve looked on line and phoned a few,but with no luck, any help would be much appreciated, i1ve booked flights and accomodation for june 1st.
      regards gargoylesrus

more
    • MirkaKripac's Profile Photo

Russian Visa Support Documents - Tourist Voucher, Invitation

Russia Yesterday

Hi,

Please do you have an advice how to get the Russian visa support documents?
      We would like to travel on our own, staying in apartments booked through airbnb.com.
      Do you know some reliable companies providing this service?

Best,
      Mirka

more
    • Americans in Moscow

Moscow Apr 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Hi all,

I am planning to travel to Moscow this summer but due to the current situation is it safe for Americans to travel to Moscow? So far people have warned me that it is not safe for Americans to travel to Moscow at this time, is this true?

more
    • Address in Smolensk

Smolensk Apr 2, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Hello,

I am trying to verify an address can somebody help me. My email is redbells91360@gmail.com

LIDER 2 Garden Street Smolensk , 25a (square Zhelyabov )

Thank you,

Nicholas

more
    • Welcome to Republic of Mari El !!!

Respublika Mariy-El Apr 13, 2014 at 11:20 PM

The Republic of Mari El is included in Privolzhsky Federal District and is situated in the centre part of the Russian Federation. Its territory is 23.4 thousand square Km, the population is 698.3 thousand people.
      It borders on the Nizhny Novgorod Oblast in the west, on the Kirov Oblast in the north-east, on the Tatarstan Republic and the Chuvash Republic in the south.
      The population of the Republic of Mari El consists of Mari people – 43%, Russian people – 47,5%, Tatars people – 5,9%. Over 50 nationalities are living on the territory of Republic. The official languages are Russian and Mari.
      The Republic of Mari El means “Mari country» translated from Mari language. It is a wonderful land with beautiful nature, riches lakes and forests. There are over 600 pure and deep lakes in the Republic where most of them are karstic origin, about 476 rivers having total extension over 7 thousand kilometers.
      About 50 percent of the territory of the Republic is covered with forests. For century, the forest was place of habitation, source of food and sacred temple for Mari pagans. Today, the Mari people is one of a few peoples of Europe, preserving the paganism practically in permanent form as an official national religion. There are about 520 pagan sacred groves in the Republic of Mari El.
      Modern the Republic of Mari El is dynamically developing territory on which contemporary architecture adjoins with numerous historical and cultural sites.
      The most popularity gained a capital city of the Republic of Mari El – Yoshkar-Ola (from translated Mari language means “Red city», beautiful city) with its excellent architectural ensembles - Tsarevokokshaisk Kremlin, Patriarch's Square, area of the first tsarevokokshaisk leader/voevode Obolensky-Nogotkova, where there is an unique musical clock with icon of the Mother of God « Troeruchitsi» installed above the arch in the tower, magnificent palaces of sports.
      Today the capital city of the Republic is modern comfortable city having its unique colour and individuality. The city is actively develop, embellish new parks and squares, areas and boulevards. In renewal city combine local colour, tradition of chief town of a uyezd and old European design. Also, Yoshkar-Ola attracts its compact structure and all sights are located walking distance from each other.
      The Republic of Mari El is original, charming and always attractive for lovers of travel and active sport.
      The Republic of Mari El is region with which met once, difficult to leave.

more
    • Worried about visit to St. Petersburg in May

Saint Petersburg Mar 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Going to St. Petersburg in May (2014). We are Canadian, in our 60's and going on our own for 5 days. Already have our VISA. Coming in from Helsinki on train. Frankly we are very concerned about what we might face when we get there given all that is happening ..... Should we be worried? Our consulate website basically says nothing except that they have limited services now. (They closed the St. Petersburg branch)
      Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

more
    • willsk22's Profile Photo

Birthday in Irkutsk

by willsk22 Online Now Jul 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I am travelling from Beijing to Moscow via UlaanBaatar to see family in Moscow for New Years.

However it is my Birthday around the time I will be in Irkutsk, my question is- whilst it's not a milestone birthday and I will be on my own, is there a decent bar scene, so I can live a few glasses to myself! Not really that bothered about birthdays, but as I'm travelling I thought doing something in Baikal in the day and staying somewhere nice on the evening would be as good as spending it slugging another night out on the train...

Any ideas or suggestions most welcome.. Oh I am a 36 yr old British male btw.

Regards,

Will

5 Answers Aug 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    • Irkutsk at 2am... what to do? help!

by AndrewFraser Online Now Jul 8, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Hello.

I'm getting the train across to Ulan Bator, and get into Urkutsk at 2.32am. I only have that day and the next day there, before getting the train on. (Don't ask... visa mess up).

Can anyone give me advice on what to do - is there somewhere I should stay in Irkutsk at that time cheaply for a few hours? Or is there a way to make my way directly to Listvyanka... and any recommendations on where to stay?

Thank you so much. It probably looks like I'm being lazy. But I've done lots of looking into this and figure I can work something out. But given my limited time, it seemed wisest to ask the experts for a recommendation!

Thanks again,
      Andy

2 Answers Jul 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM
    • Nuclei's Profile Photo

How can I order "smoked omul"?

by Nuclei Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Dear Friends,

Do you know any online shopping site or any shop/company in Russia that I can order smoked omul. This is the best fish I ever tasted. I could not find any VT member in Listvyanka and also the VT members in Irkutsk seem inactive.

Appreciate any help.

4 Answers Apr 20, 2011 at 4:35 AM
    • Lisvianka / Lake Baikal - shopping & gifts

by Catrin2011 Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I will do a trip to Russia in May (as part of a longer trip with the Transsib). We have booked a homestay in a Russian family located in Listvianka at Lake Baikal via a travel agency.

We are now wondering what the place Listvianka is like? Are there any shops to buy food, souvenirs etc.? Is there maybe even a bike rental? Are there local tour operators that arrange day tours, like walking tours or something similar?

Plus: What kind of gifts should we bring with us from Germany for the guest family?

Thank you for your answers in advance!
      Catrin

8 Answers Apr 19, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    • Indian restaurants in Irkutsk

by srivastava Online Now Feb 6, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Is there any Indian restaurant in Irkutsk? Google search is silent.

3 Answers Feb 21, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    • Terje1966's Profile Photo

September

by Terje1966 Online Now Aug 3, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Hello
      Can anyone tell me about the temperature/weather situation in the beginning of september?
      Is it possible to get from Irkutsk to the north end of the lake and back
      at that time of year in 3-4 days?
      Any other suggestions for things to do that includes seeing the lake in 3-4 days??

• night Bajkal lake

by jareklegnica Online Now Jun 28, 2008 at 4:15 AM

Hello
      I am planing sleep 1-2 night on Bajkal lake 12-13.07.2008
      I am looking a chaep sleep. Anyone could recomende something me? What city on Bajkal lake ? and on the other hand I am looking realy cheap sleep in Irkuck ?

3 Answers Sep 17, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    • American Consulate in Irkutsk

by Lenok69 Online Now Jun 16, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Is there an American Consulate/Embassy in Irkuts? If there is not, what is the closest location where people from Irkutsk get their USA visas? Thank you

3 Answers Jun 16, 2008 at 11:10 AM
    • plbk's Profile Photo

Visa support letter/Invitation - Irkutsk region

by plbk Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 4:22 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a visa support letter/invitation from anywhere in Irkutsk or Ulan Ude?

Thanks

2 Answers Feb 21, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    • Long term accomodation in Irkutsk

by saghia Online Now Dec 16, 2007 at 9:04 AM

Hello. My girlfriend & I are planning to spend a couple of months in Russia basing ourselves in Irkutsk. I am looking for some general information about living costs, but especially renting a small apartment( as I hope this will cut the costs abit) & the possibility of teaching english to keep the bank balance from collapsing. I am from the UK & my girlfriend is Slovak( & speaks Russian, a big help)....we'd also like to get in touch with anyone living in Irkutsk, especially Russian, as it's always helpful to have friends. Thanks to all who reply. Andy

1 Answer Dec 16, 2007 at 12:32 PM
    • Moving to Irkutsk

by seancora Online Now Oct 1, 2007 at 7:59 AM

My husband and I are moving to Irkutsk and are interested in knowing about the cost of living in Irkutsk and surrounding area. We have lived for about 7 years in Russian towns, so we do not want to live like tourists. Our goal is to blend and live more or less like the locals. Any info on the range of rent costs or costs for buying property there would be appreciated. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Cor

3 Answers May 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    • How long to stay in Lake Baikal?

by sonickitten Online Now Mar 30, 2007 at 4:41 PM

HI, My partner and I will be stopping at Lake Baikal and were wondering how long to stay there, we are outdorrs type people with all our own camping gear is there neough to do to stay for a week or more? Is it a relaxing place etc?

Cheers

• jerrylyons207's Profile Photo

IWhere to watch FAC Cup Final in Irkutsk

by jerrylyons207 Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Hi

I will be in Irkutsk on May 19 2007. Does anyone know of a good bar that will show the English FA Cup Final on TV?

Also if there are any fans of Zvezda Irkutsk on this site please feel free to contact me.

Thank you

Jerry

• Looking for Hotel prices in Irkutsk and on Lake Baikal

by Percival504 Online Now Oct 20, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Hello to all, again. I am now trying to find prices for some of the hotels everyone has so graciously recommended. I have tried to book a hotel online, but I have not had any success. Can anyone make a recommendation. I have been told to expect to spend200.00 a night, does that sound correct?

1 Answer Oct 21, 2006 at 4:42 PM
    • African-American visiting friends in Irkutsk -- need advice

by Percival504 Online Now Sep 19, 2006 at 2:20 PM

Hello all and thank you in advance to those who reply. I will be traveling to Irkutsk in November to meet a dear friend. I am somewhat concerned about neo-nazi activity and I am trying to determine the safest place to stay (a hotel) and the best way to get around town without using public transportation. From what I have been able to learn from reading news reports and other sources, neo-nazi activity seems to be confined to areas that are less than desirable -- is that true? Are there any car services in Irkutsk that I could arrange in advance? Is there an office of the American Embassy in Irkutsk? All replies will be greatly appreciated.

4 Answers Sep 20, 2006 at 9:35 AM
    • Parus Travel Agency, Irkutsk

by AdriaanAdam Online Now Aug 8, 2006 at 1:31 PM

Does anyone know the Parus Travel Agency in Irkutsk and have you had any dealings with them?

• ZoT's Profile Photo

car rental or alternatives in Irkutsk

by ZoT Online Now Jul 28, 2006 at 3:39 AM

According to what I have read on VT, it seems that 1) visiting Baikal lake is a must; 2)it's a good idea going off the beaten path and visiting the most "unexplored" parts of it. That's why I was considering the option of getting a car in Irkutsk or Listvyanka for a couple of days. Does anybody know where I can do it? Or, are there alternatives like hiring a guide or a taxi driver?

Thank you in advance!

1 Answer Jul 30, 2006 at 2:20 PM
    • Apartments

by Remmy54 Online Now Jul 19, 2006 at 3:55 PM

Can anyone please tell me if their are any tourist apartments for rent in Irkutsk?

• Etmeu's Profile Photo

Hotel at Irkutsk airport

by Etmeu Online Now Jul 13, 2006 at 4:26 PM

Does anyone knows the name of the hotel right near Irkutsk airport, and if possible their phone#?

Thank you.

Eric

2 Answers Aug 11, 2006 at 1:17 PM
    • bafgkm's Profile Photo

Can I apply for Mongolia Visa at Irkutsk consulate?

by bafgkm Online Now Jun 29, 2006 at 11:53 AM

Hello!

Does anybody know that if I can apply for Mogolia visa at Mongolia consulate at Irkutsk?
      I've read related infomation on LP, just wanna make sure.

Thanks for your replay in advance!!

Best,
      Martha

1 Answer Aug 8, 2006 at 8:11 PM
    • ZoT's Profile Photo

finding an accomodation in August: hard?

by ZoT Online Now Jun 20, 2006 at 3:20 AM

Privet to all VT'ers,
      I've read on my Lonely Planet guide that finding a (budget) accomodation in Irkutsk without booking in advance might be hard. Is that true? I will travel there in mid August.
      Also, any suggestions about good accomodation (B&B, hostels, apartments) will be much appreciated.

ZoT

5 Answers Jul 8, 2006 at 12:17 AM
    • Camping

by acedia Online Now Apr 15, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Is camping possible around Baikal? Are there any camping facilities near the towns? I am visiting Baikal in the second half of June. Thank you.

• fal1206's Profile Photo

Siberian Painters discovering trip

by fal1206 Online Now Nov 30, 2005 at 2:51 AM

Bonjour,
      I plan in march 2006 to go from IKT to Ulan Ude Chita and Then Khabarovsk to meet local painters in their workshops (spending about 3 to 4 days in each town).
      I am french tourist interested in Siberian painters and i already did those cultural trips several times in the past, it s an amazing way of discovering those cultures.
      (my profesional activity has nothing to see with those trips)

Would you like to join me ?
      If you like art and painting,
      if you are from Sibir
      Ir you are available in march 2006
      if you can translate from russian to french/english
      Contact me to discuss further into details on how to deal with that.
      Poka

• malkey's Profile Photo

Looking for a B & B or Homestay in/near Irkutsk

by malkey Online Now Nov 29, 2005 at 12:17 AM

I can't stand any more of those cold, creepy, impersonal hotels. Any information on finding a decent B&B or homestay with locals in or near Irkutsk (or Baikal) would be most appreciated.

• EllenMorg's Profile Photo

Booking a train out of Irkutsk

by EllenMorg Online Now Aug 27, 2005 at 8:09 AM

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is at the moment travelling by ferry from Japan to Shanghai. He is planning to get all the way back to England by surface transport. He is travelling from Shanghai to Beijing, then by train, arriving in Irkutsk September 6th. He has tickets booked as far as Irkutsk.
      He has been trying to secure a ticket from Irkutsk to Moscow and onwards to Riga.
      Reading others' tips it seems it should be possible to book these tickets when he arrives in Irkutsk - he plans to stay there for a few days. Can anyone confirm that this should be ok. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done this trip or something similar so that I can pass on any advice.
      Many thanks
      Ellen Morgan

10 Answers Feb 9, 2006 at 3:30 PM
    • Blue frames for the windows?

by explore77 Online Now Jul 22, 2005 at 12:23 PM

So it is my turn to ask the experts. On my many trips to Russia i have come across a "mystery" for me... and nobody have been able to give me an answer... but maybe there are no answer? I have noticed, mainly in the country, that the window frames are painted blue! why blue? was it fashion 100 years ago when it was painted last time or does it have something to do with nationalism? Or is it me who is just going crazy? Well the last explanation can not be rulled out! :op I appologize that i have no photo of it on the computer, but if anyone knows what i am talking about and have an idea... well feel free to answer.
      thanks to all for the possible answer.

3 Answers Jul 28, 2005 at 4:17 AM
    • pashkapushka's Profile Photo

How do I get to Irkutsk from Moscow??

by pashkapushka Online Now May 21, 2005 at 4:47 PM

Pls tell me...

thank you.

5 Answers May 31, 2005 at 8:48 PM
    • Hotel in IKT

by tomkta Online Now May 17, 2005 at 4:32 PM

Hi all - any suggestions for a reasonable clean hotel in Irkutsk where I can stay first night after arrival on train? I believe I will need a hotel that will take care of registering my visa and allow me to be on my way to Olkhon Island the next day. Thanks!

1 Answer Mar 10, 2006 at 10:53 PM
    • aestashoraspaso's Profile Photo

Shamans

by aestashoraspaso Online Now Apr 26, 2005 at 6:41 AM

Privet! Hello! Hola
      Well..I am going to be in Irkutsk from the 19th of june until 9th of july and I am thinking about to write an article about Syberian shamanism and traditional beliefs in the Irkutsk area. Any sugestion or help will be wellcome
      Spasibo bolshoe!

I heard about a shamans' meeting at Olkjon Island but I couldn't confirm if that was only for one time or it's every year

3 Answers May 9, 2005 at 6:48 AM
    • IKT-Beijing flights

by tomkta Online Now Mar 23, 2005 at 11:07 PM

What reasonably reliable airline(s) should I contact for an Irkutsk-Beijing flight in August? Does anyone have a suggestion for an agency/website to book this? Also, I'm interested in Trans-Mongolian rail travel Beijing-Irkutsk via Ulaanbataar, where I will be stopping over for a week.
      Thanks

1 Answer Mar 24, 2005 at 12:59 AM