Irkutsk Travel Answers

change location

Long term accomodation in Irkutsk

by saghia Online Now Dec 16, 2007 at 9:04 AM

Hello. My girlfriend & I are planning to spend a couple of months in Russia basing ourselves in Irkutsk. I am looking for some general information about living costs, but especially renting a small apartment( as I hope this will cut the costs abit) & the possibility of teaching english to keep the bank balance from collapsing. I am from the UK & my girlfriend is Slovak( & speaks Russian, a big help)....we'd also like to get in touch with anyone living in Irkutsk, especially Russian, as it's always helpful to have friends. Thanks to all who reply. Andy

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Re: Long term accomodation in Irkutsk

by GyuriFT Online Now Dec 16, 2007 at 12:32 PM

I am a railway guy, so slightly out of topic for you but hope useful: how to get there.

You are lucky because Slovakia is the cheapest place to buy tickets to Russia. You should look into so-called CITY-STAR tickets from Slovakia to Russia via Ukraina. The ticket is valid 2 month and did cost 100 Euro round-trip to any Russian station with over 1500 km in Russia. The price was valid till December 9 and some increase is possible.

For two it will be not the twice but one and half time. Not sure, where your g/f lives but the direct car to Moscow is going from Zilina (4 times a week) and Kosice (every day).

Since price to Irkutsk and to the border is the same, you maybe should consider to visit China or Mongolia... or even Korea (if you can get a visa).

Going back is the same, Russian railway already did publish the fare, CITY-STAR Slovakia from Russia is 96 Euro till Cierna and 114 Euro till Bratislava for one person and 144/171 for two.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines