Irkutsk Travel Answers

change location

Blue frames for the windows?

by explore77 Online Now Jul 22, 2005 at 12:23 PM

So it is my turn to ask the experts. On my many trips to Russia i have come across a "mystery" for me... and nobody have been able to give me an answer... but maybe there are no answer? I have noticed, mainly in the country, that the window frames are painted blue! why blue? was it fashion 100 years ago when it was painted last time or does it have something to do with nationalism? Or is it me who is just going crazy? Well the last explanation can not be rulled out! :op I appologize that i have no photo of it on the computer, but if anyone knows what i am talking about and have an idea... well feel free to answer.
thanks to all for the possible answer.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Pablos_new's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Blue frames for the windows?

by Pablos_new Online Now Jul 25, 2005 at 5:04 AM

Colour they like????!!!!
    May be they all hate this colour. But some 15 years ago a container of blue colour arrived at local "sel'po" (сельпо - the word meaning of which is dark even for russians). And they all have bought it in reserve, cause next paint could come to the village in 5 years!

Some advanced villagers have relatives in town and they carried two tins of white paint in their bags all 600 km from "stolitsa". But neighbours called them "burgui" (bourgeois) and after that they hide those two tins for good times.

Funny? But that was soviet reality, dear!

P.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pablos_new's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Blue frames for the windows?

by Pablos_new Online Now Jul 25, 2005 at 5:09 AM

P.S. In not so far past the question: "Have you got (достал) wallpaper and paint for renovation of your flat?" means actually that one HAVE GOT some wallpaper and paint, and none is interesting in what color or style it was.

• RE: Blue frames for the windows?

by explore77 Online Now Jul 28, 2005 at 4:17 AM

Thank you for your replies and possible explenations for this "mystery" for me. So now it is not so big a mystery for me anymore. Just a small observation that i had made. I did also think that maybe it was the only color that they had that was available to them... but it was just not something that i really thought of. But thank you... and Dr Woland... thanx for the nice joke... and you know i am sure it is not only a joke... but something that really happens around the world. :D
    Keep up the good work and helpfulness here on VT and most of all... enjoy the summer.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines