Irkutsk Travel Answers

change location
aestashoraspaso's Profile Photo

Shamans

by aestashoraspaso Online Now Apr 26, 2005 at 6:41 AM

Privet! Hello! Hola
Well..I am going to be in Irkutsk from the 19th of june until 9th of july and I am thinking about to write an article about Syberian shamanism and traditional beliefs in the Irkutsk area. Any sugestion or help will be wellcome
Spasibo bolshoe!

I heard about a shamans' meeting at Olkjon Island but I couldn't confirm if that was only for one time or it's every year

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • zizu's Profile Photo

RE: Shamans

by zizu Online Now Apr 26, 2005 at 7:19 AM

Hola Sergio,
    yo es ke not tengo mucha idea del tema, pero hace poco leí un libro de Collin Thubron que se titulaba 'En Siberia', y hablaba bastante sobre el tema. Quizás te ayude,
    Agur!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kap2's Profile Photo

RE: Shamans

by Kap2 Online Now May 8, 2005 at 5:17 AM

Have you read Anna Reid's Shaman's Coat? Its a good account of Siberian shamanism... I shall meet a friend from Irkutsk in St Petersburg next week, i'll ask what he thinks...

Places you might want to visit, are also the Ashan, see my page for some details... there is a spring and the mountain, and a certain of Buryat people... and you can get an overnight train to Ulan-Ude, I haven't been but its a buddhist centre, not sure about shamanism... Anna Reid account can tell you more than I can.

• aestashoraspaso's Profile Photo

RE: thanks everybody...and the project is growing....

by aestashoraspaso Online Now May 9, 2005 at 6:48 AM

Well, I wish to say thank you to you for all that good advices and the time you have dedicated to answer my post
    Well...as I wrote in the title..this crazy project is growing and getting bigger. At this moment i have confirmed an article to talk about shamans and i will visit places as Olkhon island, Ulan-Ude, Arshan...
    The second part of the adventure is in relation with 'the tunguska event' that is near its 97th aniversary...Well, I can imagine it's difficult to find someone who lives near the area and could take and send me some photograps or, it would be great, if someone know very old people who lived that moment or have any story directly or indirectly caused for that....well, I will be so strongly gratefull i cannot express in words

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines