Ireland

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Charlie's Bar

Cork Dec 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I visited Charlie's Bar back in the early 80's. I would like to go back there if it is still open. I'm from Texas and hope to make a trip to Ireland in 2015. A visit to Cork is in my plans. Who can tell me about Charlie's Bar?

more
    • Mikhail_Shutov's Profile Photo

Where to go at night (particularly interested in Christmas night)

Dublin Dec 9, 2014 at 2:47 AM

We (me and my wife) are going to visit Dublin from 21st of December to 28th of December. We don't know where to go at Christmas Eve and at Christmas. We want to go to some pub os something alike and celebrate with other people to feel the Spirit of Christmas.
      We are not Irish :)

more
    • Great place to settle in Ireland for a few years with 3 preschool toddlers

Ireland Dec 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

We're traveling to Ireland for one to three years and want to set up in a small kid friendly town or quiet neighborhood of a city. We're partial to beaches over mountains, but with three kids we work from home (slow internet is fine) and stay close to home. So things like nightlife, restaurants, etc are all nice to have, but really not part of our equation. We'd trade a more kid friendly spot for one single adults might desire.

As for the neighborhood, I think many of us have a common vision of an idyllic child-friendly town or neighborhood. It would have people of all ages, and be as diverse as possible in Ireland. It would not be too crowded, nor too spread out. It would be a nice place to take a walk or ride a bike. It would be fine to drive to the grocery store once a week, ideally one with healthy, even organic food available.

As for further socializing the kids we would rent a home close to a nearby preschool. We have two boys and a girl, and would want them to all be able to attend the same school - with little drive time, if any. We are only talking preschool and kindergarten at this point. We want open minded and progressive, but not so open minded that one's brains fall out. We'd rather religion not play a big role in the school, but are not afraid of that as long as no one is too rigid. We like a school in a natural setting so the kids are in nature when possible, and a style that leans montessori as opposed to a teacher up front with a ruler...

Hope this helps bring some places to mind. Thanks in advance.

more
    • Planning the first trip

Ireland Dec 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

My wife, teenage son and myself are planning a trip to Ireland for June of 2015. This will be our first trip to Ireland, and we're looking for any advice that would help us not make the usual mistakes common for first-time visitors.

Our basic itinerary, as things stand now:

* Dublin; 3 nights, arriving on a Sunday and departing Wednesday
      * Cork; 1 night
      * Killarney; 2 nights
      * Galway; 2 nights

We'd be especially interested in understanding if we are allocating too much or little time in any particular area- I've a nagging thought that the 3d night in Dublin might be better spent elsewhere.

Our plan is to travel by rental car between cities. We're arriving at Dublin and departing from Shannon- again, as things are planned right now.

Any suggestions of places to visit outside of the standard "must see" attractions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

more
    • Charlies Bar, Cork, Ireland

Cork Dec 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I visited this bar back in the 80's. Is it still open and would someone familar with the bar contact me.?

more

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations

• Charlie's Bar

Cork Dec 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I visited Charlie's Bar back in the early 80's. I would like to go back there if it is still open. I'm from Texas and hope to make a trip to Ireland in 2015. A visit to Cork is in my plans. Who can tell me about Charlie's Bar?

2 Answers Dec 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    • Charlies Bar, Cork, Ireland

Cork Dec 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I visited this bar back in the 80's. Is it still open and would someone familar with the bar contact me.?

8 Answers Dec 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    • Great place to settle in Ireland for a few years with 3 preschool toddlers

Ireland Dec 12, 2014 at 9:35 AM

We're traveling to Ireland for one to three years and want to set up in a small kid friendly town or quiet neighborhood of a city. We're partial to beaches over mountains, but with three kids we work from home (slow internet is fine) and stay close to home. So things like nightlife, restaurants, etc are all nice to have, but really not part of our equation. We'd trade a more kid friendly spot for one single adults might desire.

As for the neighborhood, I think many of us have a common vision of an idyllic child-friendly town or neighborhood. It would have people of all ages, and be as diverse as possible in Ireland. It would not be too crowded, nor too spread out. It would be a nice place to take a walk or ride a bike. It would be fine to drive to the grocery store once a week, ideally one with healthy, even organic food available.

As for further socializing the kids we would rent a home close to a nearby preschool. We have two boys and a girl, and would want them to all be able to attend the same school - with little drive time, if any. We are only talking preschool and kindergarten at this point. We want open minded and progressive, but not so open minded that one's brains fall out. We'd rather religion not play a big role in the school, but are not afraid of that as long as no one is too rigid. We like a school in a natural setting so the kids are in nature when possible, and a style that leans montessori as opposed to a teacher up front with a ruler...

Hope this helps bring some places to mind. Thanks in advance.

7 Answers Dec 16, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    • Mikhail_Shutov's Profile Photo

Where to go at night (particularly interested in Christmas night)

Dublin Dec 9, 2014 at 2:47 AM

We (me and my wife) are going to visit Dublin from 21st of December to 28th of December. We don't know where to go at Christmas Eve and at Christmas. We want to go to some pub os something alike and celebrate with other people to feel the Spirit of Christmas.
      We are not Irish :)

3 Answers Dec 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    • Planning the first trip

Ireland Dec 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

My wife, teenage son and myself are planning a trip to Ireland for June of 2015. This will be our first trip to Ireland, and we're looking for any advice that would help us not make the usual mistakes common for first-time visitors.

Our basic itinerary, as things stand now:

* Dublin; 3 nights, arriving on a Sunday and departing Wednesday
      * Cork; 1 night
      * Killarney; 2 nights
      * Galway; 2 nights

We'd be especially interested in understanding if we are allocating too much or little time in any particular area- I've a nagging thought that the 3d night in Dublin might be better spent elsewhere.

Our plan is to travel by rental car between cities. We're arriving at Dublin and departing from Shannon- again, as things are planned right now.

Any suggestions of places to visit outside of the standard "must see" attractions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

7 Answers Dec 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    • Family weekend away

Cork Nov 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I am going to Cork at the weekend with my two kids aged 1 and 4
      We are doing Fota wildlife park on the Sunday but we are at a loss for what to do on Saturday. All suggestions greatly appreciated
      Thank You

2 Answers Nov 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    • CherrylAnn's Profile Photo

Suggestions for a quick getaway in Ireland: 5 days (28 Nov to 02 Dec 2014)

Ireland Nov 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Hi there,
      Myself and 2 friends are going to Ireland by end of November know! just about when everyone wants to be somewhere else!? :)
      We are more likely to be doing the daily tours with Irish Day Tours, their tours are amazing it seems and the reviews are great too!
      Just a bit challenged with the place to stay?
      We are convinced to better base ourselves in Dublin hence looking for a hostel/ B&B that is:
      1) central or close to bus stops/ train station
      2) strategic to pubs or night spots (hello Guinness nights!)
      3) has a great communal facility (because what is a travel good for without meeting people and making new friends)
      4) decent but not very costly
      And I know we need to be prepared with waterproof jacket/ coat and footwear too but other than that, any other great tips for a first timer like me would be very much appreciated.
      Thank you!

PS. s/o to Beausoleil for all the tips and guides so far! :)

Best
      CherrylAnn

14 Answers Dec 18, 2014 at 1:46 AM
    • Waterford Ferry

County Waterford Oct 30, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Hi we are staying in Waterford for the weekend, and hope to get the ferry over to see Waterford Castle at some stage.
      Can you tell me where to get the ferry and how often they run?
      Thanks!
      Melanie

3 Answers Oct 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    • MaggieDwight's Profile Photo

Bus Service over Easter weekend 2015

County Donegal Oct 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Hi we are planning on travelling from Belfast to Letterkenny and then onto Dunfanaghy for Easter Saturday and Sunday. Leaving Monday to Bundoran. Do buses run at this time and if so, which bus service can I look up schedules.

Many Thanks.

Maggie

2 Answers Oct 18, 2014 at 2:38 AM
    • Quick Stop in Ireland! Ideas Please!!

Ireland Oct 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Hello Everyone! I can use any and all help from the experienced Ireland travelers on here. I just recently booked a sort of last minute flight to Dublin and I'll have 2-3 days to fit in as much as I possibly can before heading onward to Scotland and Iceland. I'm a very motivated guy in my late 20's so I have no problem being on the go 24/7.Oh and I'm traveling solo. I will be arriving in Ireland very early morning on Nov. 6th and departing most likely on the 8th (haven't booked the scotland flight yet, incase I wanted an extra day). Was considering renting a car and just exploring for a few days but I wanted to get input on some of the "must-do's" while I'm there. Cliffs of Moher?, Giants Causway?, Dublin to do's, ect.

Any ideas?! Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

22 Answers Nov 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    • Off the beaten path

Ireland Oct 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Any specifics on shoes/clothes for wearing in first week of November? Can't bring much as only bringing carry-on.
      Doing a drive trip....so do you have suggestions for best 'off the beaten track' (non-touristy) places to go? Being a restaurant, pub, sightsee or general good places the locals go. We'll be in Dublin, Kilkenny, Killarney, Galway and places in between.
      Appreciate any thoughts on this as first time in Ireland, know we will see some of the 'tourist highlights' as it is a beautiful country but we do like 'off the beaten track' and locals areas a lot. We are very open-minded positive people who like to see/experience the 'real' peoples local places.
      Thank you....N&G

4 Answers Oct 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM
    • Day tours from Dublin

Dublin Oct 7, 2014 at 5:21 AM

HI everyone. I love nature views ang great atmosphire so I think Ireland will be very interesting for a visit. I wanna go next year in June but I want to order flights and hostels in advanced. I don't want to rent a car... I checked and saw this company paddywagon for day tours from dublin... Do you know by any chance if thats the best tour company there? should I book a hostel for 10 days in dublin and go each day for a tour? I first thought to book also a hostel in belfast but I see they're taking a day tour to the giant cosway and belfast too... should I book a hostel in galway for the aran islands? I wasn't sure if they're taking to that place from the day tour.... also someone recommended me to go to the hill of tara and they don't go there... do you know if it's possible to go there from dublin to a day trip by public trasportation? thanks!!

14 Answers Oct 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    • Ireland in December

Ireland Oct 1, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Is it worth seeing Ireland in December??

4 Answers Oct 1, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Looking for a good central hotel near good areas, restaurants, pubs but, quiet rooms. 3 star min.

Dublin Sep 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

We are looking for a good hotel (not B&B) in Dublin close to the good tourist areas, restaurants and pubs though, quiet and quiet rooms with NO room to room noise. It should be a minimum 3 or 4 Star and if you have a specific hotel, please advise. We looked at a recent VT posting for the Camden Court Hotel, 4 star and it looked good, thanks to Beausoleil. All other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks to all VT comments.

4 Answers Oct 10, 2014 at 2:17 AM
    • Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

Saturday 11th, October. Any special event?

Dublin Sep 26, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Hello.
      We are searching for an hotel in Dublin for our final leg of our trip to Ireland. I don´t know if it is normal, but many hotels are fully booked that night, and prices are very high...then the day after everything is available and less expensive. Is there any special event that is causing this, or is it normal? Or maybe it is just me and a case of "bad luck in my search?".
      It is not a big problem as we´ll have a hired car, so we can spend that night out of Dublin and arrive the day after, but we would like to know.

Thanks anyway...we are really looking forward the trip!!

8 Answers Sep 28, 2014 at 3:01 AM
    • 7 day itinerary for Ireland in October!

Ireland Sep 22, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Hello!

I am planning a trip to Ireland for this coming October.I will be there October 18th till the 26th.The 18th I fly into Dublin and the 26th I fly out of ...I am not sure yet! This depends on the final itinerary.I would like to visit and spend most of my time in the West.

I am not driving but looking into public transportation!

These are the areas I would like to visit:
      Doolin
      Dingle
      Cliffs of Moher-a couple of hours here
      Connemara
      Aran Islands
      Dublin -the most 2 days,possibly when I arrive at noon and perhaps another day?

Possible areas/cities:
      Beara with a day trip to Skelligs
      Belfast

This is a lot I know! I want to trim some of these places off the list so I can really enjoy my time.I just dont know which areas are better to focus on.
      I want to focus on certain areas but still be able to see the sights in such a short time!

Are these the places you would take your friends to see Ireland for the first time?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!

Sara =^..^=

8 Answers Sep 23, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Sim card at the airport.

Ireland Sep 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Hello all.
      We have an old mobile that we use when travelling. We buy a sim card at the airport and that allow us to communicate to hotels and restaurants....with a local number. We would like to know if it is easy to buy one of those sim cards at the airport in Dublin, and what company should I choose to have the best coverage all over Ireland?

Thank you very much.

6 Answers Sep 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Searching for an hotel in my way to the north.

Dublin Sep 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Hello all...it is going to be our first time in Ireland.
      We'll land in Dublin, then we´ll pick up our hired car and we would like to drive some kilometres to the north(not many, just to scape from the airport...) Do you have any suggestion for a nice hotel in that direction?
      Next day we plan to stop in Bru No Boinne in our way to Belfast. Any suggestion on the itinerary is very welcomed.

5 Answers Sep 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    • Aussie73's Profile Photo

Adelaide Square, Dublin 8

Dublin Sep 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Is this a nice place/area to stay and is it relatively safe to walk to Temple Bar etc from there?

4 Answers Sep 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    • MontagS's Profile Photo

cist of living

Dundalk Sep 2, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Hello
      do you think 1800€net would be enough to live and save some?
      Thanks in advance
      maria

1 Answer Sep 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    • Looking for an Irish Pub

Cobh Aug 30, 2014 at 5:49 AM

First time to Ireland and looking for a local pub to meet up with friends. Can you offer a suggestion ?

2 Answers Aug 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    • bed and breakfasts

Ireland Aug 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good place to review bed and breakfasts in different towns/cities? Does anyone have a b and b they would recommend in Dublin and Galway? We are looking for something that is moderately priced. Thanks.

3 Answers Aug 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    • How long should we plan for Dublin?

Ireland Aug 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

We will be flying in and out of Dublin for a 10 day trip. Our possible itinerary is to spend our first day in Dublin seeing what we can see before jet lag does us in. We were then thinking about taking a bus tour to Belfast/Giants Causeway the second day and then spending the second night in Dublin and on the third day renting a car and heading towards either Galway or Kilkenny (haven't decided exactly which way we want to go). Our alternative itinerary is to spend Day 1 and Day 2 seeing Dublin. Then we take the bus tour to Northern Ireland on Day 3. Then on Day 4 head out towards Galway or Kilkenny. My question is should we take two days to see Dublin or is one day enough time to get a good taste? Our plan was if we only spent the one day seeing Dublin we would schedule in about another half day at the end of our trip for a little more sightseeing there before we fly home the next day. Opinions??

10 Answers Aug 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Weather and Ireland

Ireland Aug 14, 2014 at 6:18 AM

We will be in Ireland and N Ireland from August 30 to September 11. Keeping an eye on the weather, I see that it's been around 15-20c for the past little while and likely to remain that way for the next couple weeks. So, what does that feel like? In my city, Edmonton Canada, thats hoodie weather, maybe short pants, but it's chill in the a.m. and nicer during the day. I need a few suggestions for my suitcase. Already packed the rain poncho and boots.

1 Answer Aug 14, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    • city tours

Kilkenny Aug 13, 2014 at 4:20 AM

Will be visiting Kilkenny City in Mid Sept was wondering if there are any tours of city and Area we could avail of .Please

2 Answers Aug 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    • Print of Men of The South

Cork Aug 13, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Do you have or do you know of anywhere I might get a print/copy of Sean Keatings "Men of the South"

pjcpersonal@yahoo.com

1 Answer Aug 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    • Seeking assistance for my mum transiting in Munich

Ireland Aug 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for your attention.

My mum will travel to China from Ireland, and the transition is Munich airport, the problem is she cannot speak English, and I have no time to accompany her.

Here may I ask for assistance from any possible friends to help my mum to find the check-in entrance in Munich?

Her flight ticket information is as follows:

28th Aug, LH 2515, from Dublin to Munich

28th Aug, LH726, from Munich to China

Looking forward to surprise!

Million thanks!

Ma

1 Answer Aug 11, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    • need an answer quick please :)

County Mayo Aug 10, 2014 at 8:13 PM

what is the best and cost friendly way to get from offaly to westport ?

4 Answers Aug 11, 2014 at 5:34 AM
    • where to buy aran sweaters in limerick

Limerick Aug 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM

where to buy aran knitwear in limerick city center?

1 Answer Nov 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    • where to buy aran sweaters in limerick

Limerick Aug 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM

can you recommend a shop that sells aran knitwear in the center of limerick city.

2 Answers Dec 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM