Ireland Travel Answers

change location

Need help with trip planning to Ireland

by sherrybrown Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Hey to all,

I have decided to stick to a smaller region of Ireland on our first trip.

We are flying into and out of Dublin and renting a car for the duration of our trip. We have 6 days and looking for less tourist areas, yet with good photo oppourtunties and of course looking to do the "pub crawl." We like to visit places the locals choose.

The Slieve League and Giant's Causeway have really determined the reason for staying Northern RATHER than Dingle and Ring of Kerry.

The area I am now looking at visiting is:

Galway

Newport

Westport

Dongeal (Slieve League)

Giant's Causeway

Carrick-a-rede

Old Bushmills Distillery

Dunluce Castle

All sugestions are very welcome.

Still only have 6 days :( !

Anyway,

Thanks again in advance,

Sherry

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Need help with trip planning to Ireland

by planxty Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Well, that sounds quite feasible although you still are putting quite a lot into six days but the plus side is that you can go like blazes for six days and recover later! As I believe I said before on one of your questions, I can really only speak for NI but I am sure some of our excellent members in the Republic will pitch up here to assist you with that section.

Depending on what time your return flight is, you may probably want to stay in Belfast or even further South (Banbridge / Newry perhaps) to give you an easy run on the last day.

As always, if you have any specific questions on the NI leg, please get in touch.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

As answered elsewhere

Day one Land Dublin collect car and drive to Belfast for the night, either Black cab tour or Titanic Exhibition Premier Inn?

Day two and three, Portrush to include the Causeway, Bushmills, Carricarede Dunluce Castle northantrim.com/locations.ht... (Avarest Guest House)

Day Four via Derry and Letterkenny to Donegal in the morning Slieve League in the afternoon. sleep Donegal (Drumcorry Farm)

Day five Aim for Westport, Ciede Fields and Achill island.

Day six long drive back to Dublin and an airport hotel ready for departure.

There will be photo opportunities along the way but the extra push to fit Galway would be just too far.

• WBeall's Profile Photo

by WBeall Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Hey we drove from Galway, Sligo, Derry, Bushmills,(Drove through Belfast) Newgrange, and Dublin in 7 days and we felt like we were rushing but, we did get to see most of the things we wanted and this was only the last 7 days of our trip out of 16. It’s really a small country so you can drive a long ways in one day BUT you will end up stopping because there are things you will want to take photos of. If you want to stay in Bushmills, which is where the visitor’s center and the start of the giants causeway is, as well as Bushmills Distillery, We stayed in an amazing BNB called Ardtrabane House and it was perfect. It is practically walking distance to the Giants Causeway. The rooms were super nice. If you look at my travel pages you can see more info on them. I know I am not a local but we had the same idea in mind by wanting to see the non tourist attractions. The Carrick a rede rope bridge is soo neat but make sure you go early in the morning or later in the day. We got there right after it opened and going across the bridge there was no one in line but when we were ready to come back there were buses pulling up and crazy long lines. This was still about an hour after it opened and in October. Lol Well If you have any questions let me know. All of this info is fresh in my mind and we spent a while over there. Good luck with your trip planning!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations