Ireland Travel Answers

change location
kbalokclark's Profile Photo

P.S. re Where to Live

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM

.....Am also open to any suggestions re fun towns in the west or south. Thanks again, so much!

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: P.S. re Where to Live

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM

It may depend on what you mean by 'fun towns'. Nightclubs and partying? Theatre, arts, culture? Lots of friendly pubs to meet people and enjoy music-making?

It might help people to make suggestions if you can give an idea of what you'd like to find/experience.

University towns are usually pretty buzzy, in my experience: Galway certainly is, and I think Cork probably is as well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Hi Kathy!
    Re location: Like jonellis I think you should consider staying on the east coast near to Dublin, he mentioned Swords but nearby Malahide would be even better – it’s on the coast, it’s more of a village than a town, has lovely coastal and estuary walks, a marina, golf courses, plenty of restaurants, it’s near Dublin airport and has good bus and train links into the city.
    Also on the east coast but south of Dublin you could consider the village of Greystones, in Co Wicklow. It has much the same assets as Malahide, (a small harbour but no no marina and not near the airport) but a slightly more rural feel yet only a few miles from the town of Bray and only about 25 miles from Dublin city centre. There is a direct Aircoach link from Dublin airport too so no hassle on arrival and departure!
    According to Wikipedia, in 2008, Greystones was named as the world's 'most livable community' at the LivCom Awards in China – see more info here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyst...
    Re property: Most of the property rental companies like daft.ie, rent.ie, etc, have sections for short-term rental but they will be based on ‘holiday’ prices whereas long-term rentals will be at a cheaper rate. My advice would be to contact the agent or owner directly about a property that you like and see if you can work out a deal for three months. We’re in a recession as you know so any business is welcome and many owners would be glad to get three months rent as opposed to no rent!
    I live in Dublin but I’m from Co Wicklow so if you need any further info about the east coast don’t hesitate to ask! Anne Marie

• kbalokclark's Profile Photo

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hey, Leics ~ So late in responding! Good point, re meaning of fun! Well, thinking of good restaurants, fun pubs, quaint little shops, music and artsy stuff. SOmeone said to actually avoid university towns (ex; Cork) because of student presence...but as a retired teacher/professor, I love students! Fun energy! Plus I think university towns tend to stretch a little more to make things interesting for students and their families. I don't know! Am thinking of Ennis now, though...One point someone made about that is a better transportation system. Well, everywhere is beautiful and all people are friendly in Ireland I hear, so really can't make a wrong decision.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I wouldn't say that 'everywhere' is beautiful in any country..not that all people are friendly..but Ireland certainly has more of both than many countries.

I really liked Galway. Like you, I see absolutely no reason why university towns (anywhere) should be avoided: I've found them buzzy and interesting wherever I've encountered them. But it's all a matter of personal preference.

I hope you get the visa thing sorted out swiftly and easily: then you'll be able to make some proper plans. :-)

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Well, that is true...but it just seems that the land is so beautiful, from looking at the pics. Maybe at least generally above average in overall beauty. :) So glad you are of like mind re university towns. And yes, I think we are all set re visa info. I talked with a realtor this morning about rentals in Ennis..She said we are planning too early and should wait until a month before we are leaving to find a place. SO I guess we shall see how it all rolls out....

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM

The rental market is fairly "fluid" as they say, whilst a house might be for sale for months (or years) the turnover of rental properties tends to be under 6 weeks. As you are looking for short term it might be worth emailing some letting agents to keep an eye out on your behalf.

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Tony, we are finding that to be the case! I have emailed and even talked with some rental agents and they said they would keep us in mind. The last person I spoke with said we are looking too early and should wait until May to book a place from June through August. But we did find one for those exact 3 months in Galway this morning. Any insights re Galway, anyone? How is it compared to Ennis? Thanks for your thoughts, Tony!

Galway?

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

...The house we saw advertised is right in the Galway City Centre....so easy to walk to restaurants, pubs, shopping, etc....but I wonder how the area would be to actually stay in. Thoughts?

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Thanks so much, Annemarie! Great, thoughtful suggestions!

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

You're welcome Kathy, I can see you are determined to head for the west so in that case Galway would be an ideal choice! You'll have all the benefits of living in a lively small city - in fact it is often designated as Ireland's 'party city' with plenty of bars, restaurants, theatres, etc. In addition you will be able to join organised trips to wonderful natural areas such as Connemara, the cliffs of Moher, the Burren and of course the Aran Islands. There is a reasonable bus service around the city and to some neighbouring towns and villages, and a train service to other towns and cities.
    If you want to run the locations/adresses of the houses by me I could possibly give an opinion on them but if you want to keep them private that's fine. AM

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Galway is fine, If its central it could be "Student" accommodation, vacant for summer. some is decent some is less "select". What's the address?

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Annemarie, hoonestly we are open to anything...It's just that we keep hearing from people to aim toward the west or south. We actually were looking at a place in Kinsale, as it looked so beautiful and fun. We spent yesterday morning checking out other places in that area. I do love all the thought being so close to the ocean or any body of water, really. WHat's cool is other VT friend have those great insights into transportation situations, which is important.We did hear back from a guy who is renting from June through August in Galway located on Court Avenue, Woodquay, Galway City Centre. Only a couple OK pics of inside so he is going to send more hopefully. He said the area is nice, quiet, and safe. Do you know that area at all? I dunno..I think we might sit tight and, as you say, negotiate for something nicer as we get closer to June.Thanks for being willing to offer your thoughts on locations! Seriously. So helpful Annemarie!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations