Ireland Travel Answers

change location
kbalokclark's Profile Photo

Where to live for 3 or 4 months???

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Hello, Ireland travelers! SO happy to find you! OK, my boyfriend and I are planning our first step in living our retirement dream, which is to live for extended periods of time in various European countries. Ireland is our first stop, as we both have Irish heritage. We want to stay for 3-4 months beginning in June; looking for a fun town to stay in so we can walk to restaurants, shops, etc. and immerse ourselves in the culture.(Want to avoid car rental except for touring.So expensive, I hear!)Suggestions so far have been Bantry, Dingle, Ennis, Cork...which all look so fun but it's hard finding (through Daft i.e.)a decent, resonable 3-bedroom (for visitors) apt or house that does not require a year's lease. Any thoughts re a good agency/resource who might dig in for us and find something? Are we too early in our search? Would we have a better chance looking as we get closer to take-off? Is the public transportation system as bad/unreliable as I have read? Thanks so much for any insights you can offer! ~Kathy

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Where to live for 3 or 4 months???

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Hi Kathy. Welome to Virtual Tourist. Are you citizens of the EU, USA, or someplace else? You will need to explore visa issues for long-term stays depending on your citizenship. You can put it on your Home Page here to help with future questions.

We use a couple web sites for rentals. You can also check town web sites. Try the following.
    www.VRBO.com
    homeaway.com/search/keywords...

They are both reliable, but do check reviews on other sites.

Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kbalokclark's Profile Photo

Thank you!

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Hello Beausoleil ~ (As a retired French teacher I love your username! :) )

Good point re visa! Never thought about that..Yes, we are US citizens. I will research visa requirement and go from there. Am hoping 3 or 4 months will work without one, but will find out. Thanks for the web site ideas, too. WIll follow through!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM

This will be helpful:

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_...

As well as this:

embassyofireland.org/home/in...

Looks like you're OK for 90 days with just a passport but do the reading. Also, proof of your ability to support yourself for those 3 months is important. You may have problems getting a visa for a longer period of time as those are usually issued for students or persons on business.

Re: Where to live for 3 or 4 months??

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Oh Goodfish, thanks for the websites.I did find out out no need for visa to enter Ireland, but the details re staying for 3 or 4 months was confusing. These websites look more official than what I found, and therefore may spell things out more clearly. Thanks again.

by goodfish Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM

You're very welcome - hope you get it all worked out!

Sounds like a fun adventure: we'd love to stay in Italy for an extended amount of time someday but we'll probably have to keep it within with that 90-day limit.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

The best place to look for any visa information for any country is that country's embassy website, preferably the embassy in your own country.

You are right that the website of the Irish embassy in the US:

embassyofireland.org/home/in...

is not clear about visa requirements if you wish to stay for longer than 90 days but are neither studying, working nor pursuing business interests. The best thing to do is to contact hat embassy directly and ask for the official requirements for S citizens who wish to stay in the Republic for more than 90 days.

Re your comment 'living for extended periods of time in other European countries':

As a US visitor you can only visit EU countries in the Schengen Zone (26 of them) for 90 days in any 180 day period. You can stay 90 days but must then leave the Schengen Zone for another 90. You can't e.g. leave for one day and then re-enter for another 90.

If you want to stay for longer than 90 days you will need to apply for a different visa from the relevant country's embassy. Google for the country's website in the US to find information.

The same applies to any non-Schengen countries you are considering. You need to look at that country's official embassy website for information about visa requirements for longer stays (you will usually find visa information uunder 'consular services').

Ireland and the UK are not in the Schengen Zone but they do have a 'Common Travel Agreement'. That means that there are no border formalities between the Republic and Northern Ireland, or between the Republic and the UK mainland.

US citizens may visit the UK for up to 6 months without a visa.

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Hi Kathy. Glad you like my name. It's my husband's family name and I've enjoyed it for nearly 50 years now. 8^)

You can see what the requirements are and the countries currently in the Schengen Treaty at this web site. http://www.schengenvisa.cc/

We've explored an extended stay in France but not Ireland and since they're not Schengen, anything I know wouldn't apply. Assuming from your original post that you want to spend time in other countries too, you can stay in all the Schengen countries for 90 full days. Then you have to leave for 90 full days. You can repeat this cycle for 180 days (6 months) in and out of Schengen. Since the UK and Ireland are not in Schengen, it's a good place for the 90 days outside when the time comes. With a bit of planning, you won't need to bother with a visa, but if you do, contact the embassy of the country you want to visit. You'll probably have to make an in-person visit as part of the application process. I know our closest French embassy is in San Francisco . . . a fun trip!

BTW, when you decide to go to France, try the Gites de France for your lodging. We've used them for years and love them. http://en.gites-de-france.com/

Do you realize you can click on the names of any of the folks who have answered you here and go directly to their Home Page? That way you can click on their Travel Pages (see the tabs) and check places you might want to visit. I notice you have some great VT members in your reply section above so take advantage of a great shortcut.

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

"Suggestions so far have been Bantry, Dingle, Ennis, Cork."
    Forget the first two. You need somewhere with a public transport structure that gives more than one bus route and a long way from anywhere else. I love Bantry but it needs a car. So does Dingle which will also be near Dublin rent because most houses are tourist biased.

Ennis would be a good option as a working town with a good infrastructure and transport links to Limerick and Galway plus a local bus service to the local rural communities. To be honest I am a little biased as this fairly local and a favourite place

rent.ie/houses-to-let/clare/...
    daft.ie/clare/houses_to_rent...
    myhome.ie/rentals/clare/prop...
    property.ie/property-to-let/...
    let.ie/property-to-rent/clar...
    globrix.ie/property/rent/co-...

Cork.. City location as would be Galway and Limerick (be careful of really low rental areas around cities as you would anywhere in the world).

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Jonellis ~ Good ideas! I need to check out my grandmother's Irish heritage and be sure of its degree. Thanks so much for taking time to respond and offering this idea!

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Wow! GREAT suggestions! Some websites on there I have not heard of. I tried the ones I hadn't known about and am already getting some leads, so thanks so much. Also good insight re towns....I know...Ennis is another one I keep hearing recommended so we are back to looking at that. The transporation aspect is important...plus I love the online descriptions about the friendly people there and the beautiful surroundings (OK, so true about most Irish towns!). So, as our newest snow blizzard is revving up here in Saratoga Springs, NY, I am going to put on another pot of coffee and settle into my research with more focus/insights now, thanks to you and my other new-found VT friends! (Hmmmm...and I just may add a little Bailey's to my coffee to celebrate this progress....Nothing wrong with that, right?)

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 5:38 AM

SO helpful!!! We will check this out and be smart about our plans. Would hate to mess things up by not being informed and prepared re visa requirements. I am so grate all of you are taking time to respond so thoughtfully. I was in my analysis-paralysis mode and doing some evil, industrial strength,stress eating of chips and dip while e-searching. You guys jumped in and probably saved me from having to buy TWO seats on the plane, just for myself!

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

You can gain a few pounds; you'll walk it off once you get to Ireland. ;^)

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Ha! So true! OK....Please the ranch dip...

by goodfish Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

A margarita would go good with that. Large and no salt, please. :)

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I like your style, Goodfish. I like your style. Cheers!

by goodfish Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I am about 1 hour away from Beer O'clock. Yay.

by kbalokclark Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

...and I am about 1/2 hour away from wine:30

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations