Ireland Travel Answers

change location

10 Day Ireland Itinerary

by Rpfrantz Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Hello. My wife and I will be traveling to Ireland for the first time this year. We arrive in Dublin Sunday September 1 and depart from Shannon Wednesday September 11. Below is our tentative itinerary. Please let me know if it sounds reasonable or any suggestions. My main questions are: is 1 night in Kilkenny enough? Is day 9 too much driving? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Day 1 (sleep Dublin): arrive in Dublin check into hotel and do some walking around city center.

Day 2 (sleep Dublin): hop on hop off tour stopping anywhere that catches our attention.

Day 3 (sleep Kilkenny): pick up car in Dublin, travel to Kilkenny via Glendalough and Wicklow mountains. Tour Kilkenny in the evening.

Day 4 (sleep Killarney): travel to Killarney via Cahir, tour Cahir Castle. Check into B&B in Killarney.

Day 5 (sleep Killarney): Muckrose House, Torc Waterfall.

Day 6 (sleep Killarney): Gap of Dunloe.

Day 7 (sleep Dingle): leave Killarney, Slea Head drive to Dingle.

Day 8 (sleep Dingle): Horseback ride in Dingle or kayak in Dingle Bay.

Day 9 (sleep Ennis): Connor Pass to Tarbert Ferry and do Loop Head Penninsula to Ennis.

Day 10 (sleep Ennis): Cliffs of Moher and Burren National Park.

Day 11: Depart from Shannon.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Re: 10 Day Ireland Itinerary

by Dabs Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I'm sure others will pop in but I thought I'd comment on day 5, we visited Muckross House and Torc Waterfall in the morning before driving the entire Ring of Kerry, some people take two days to drive the ring but since you are spending both nights in Killarney it doesn't sound like you are stopping midway through. So I don't know that you have enough planned for day 5. We drove the Beara Peninsula the next day but some would find that too much driving over 2 days.

The HOHO bus in Dublin is good, I'd definitely recommend getting off at Kilmainham Gaol if you enjoy history, they have a nice tour there.

If you have time on day 4 in addition to Cahir you can also visit Cashel or Jerpoint Abbey which is a little south of Kilkenny.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

You will love Ireland. You do not say where you are from but remember to drive on the LEFT. Also depends where you pick up your car and where you stay but Dublin traffic is no fun especially at peak hour.
    Some roads are very narrow in the countryside and you might find sheep on the road....we even saw a tractor or two leaving the local pub but this was further north than you are going.

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The problem you have day 3 is heading north to the airport to collect the rental and a fair drive then over Glendalough and Wicklow. This combined with a full day 4 limits possibilities. St Canice's Cathedral closes at 5.30 as does the Castle.
    Day 9 is a full day but perfectly possible, just consider that Loop Head if combined with the cliffs of Kilkee walk is a big lump of the day. Still possible though with an early start and aim for good pub meal in Brogans or Poets Corner (Old Ground) about 7pm.
    Other than those comments the plan looks good.

• Re: 10 Day Ireland Itinerary

by Rpfrantz Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Thank you for the comments so far.

Wise23girl: We will be coming from the US, so yes driving is going to be interesting. I am loading up on the insurance though, so that I have some peace of mind.

Tony: I was hoping to avoid the airport when picking up the car. I see that Hertz has a location that is south of Dublin city center, so I'm looking to pick up there. That should help with the time it takes to get going Day 3.

With our current plan it sounds like Kilkenny is basically a place to get some dinner and sleep for the evening. I initially had 2 nights in Kilkenny, but wanted to make sure that we had enough time in Killarney for Muckross House, Torc, the National Park, and the Gap of Dunloe. I think that I am willing to give up any sites in Kilkenny to make sure that we have enough time in Killarney.

Good to hear that day 9 is doable, and thanks for the pub recommendations in Ennis.

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

City collection will save 2 hours on the airport (hour up then back) but don't know the location. Heading down the N11 towards Bray and right turn towards Powerscourt (might be worth the 2 hours you saved) and Glendalough. The Heather should be out crossing the Wicklow moors so adds a bit of colour. My regular bars in Killarney would be Connors and Tattler Jacks for a mix of locals and tourists.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations