Ireland Travel Answers

change location
suesue25's Profile Photo

Ireland for 1 week

by suesue25 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I will be traveling to Ireland in late 2013 and will be staying for 1 week. Looking for some ideas on what to do and where to stay. I will be renting a car and also will have my 19yr old daughter and 72yr old father. My daughter is very interested in Saint Brigit so we are wanting to explore Kildare as well. I am wanting to explore the south west area so not when to make a home base or just stay someone new each night. All sugestions will be appericated

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Ireland for 1 week

by ukinsurance Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I think you should visit this link for more information, irishcentral.com/travel/Top-...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Re: Ireland for 1 week

by RickinDutch Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM

"Late in 2013" sounds like the winter which is a great time to visit Ireland as most of the sites are uncrowded and you can take your time.
    Driving can be tricky as many of the roads are fairly narrow and driving on the left can be tricky, especially intersections and round abouts. Takes a while to get used to looking the opposite direction and shifting with your right hand. If you aren't used to it, might think about renting an automatic. One less thing to worry about.
    So much to see and do I don't know where to start. Dingle is a favorite, especially in the off season.
    What we love about Ireland is the people and their gift of language and conversation.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM

A book I found really helpful in planning our two trips was Frommer's Best Loved Driving tours as it gave me some idea of what to combine with what and an idea of how long it took to get from point a to b, you might look for a guide book like that to help you out. The Irish roads are, as mentioned, narrow and in many cases much slower than you might be accustomed to in the US. What worked for us was moving just about every night, except for Dublin I don't think we spent more than 1 night in each place.

We did rent a manual both times but unless you are confident driving one, I'd highly recommend an automatic as well. You are shifting with your left hand in addition to having to remember to drive on the opposite side of the road while dodging sheep, tractors, and farmers. Not to mention the Irish drivers who seem to like to position themselves on your bumper.

As to where to go, in the southwest part most people take a day or two to drive the Ring of Kerry but equally enjoyable for us was the Beara Peninsula which is sort of the same concept. Cork is a lively town and is close to Blarney which has a castle worth stopping at. If you are dead set on kissing the Blarney stone, we got there right when it opened and no lines at all

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Everyone is right - driving in Ireland can be tricky if one is from the U.S. Trips take much longer than they would seem to by looking at the map.. twisty, slow roads but the views are wonderful. Don't miss Galway, and the Ring of Kerry, too, is well worth seeing. We were over in Dublin in November and luckily had some warmish and clear weather, but be prepared for the opposite. :-)

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM

7 days on the ground is not much any time of year. It comes down to working out what you want to see then wittling it down to what you can actually see, This is especially true as your farther may not want to move every day. If you are looking at just a couple of bases they need to be Hubs not out on a spur.
    Have a look through the various forums for itineraries others have done these might give some guidance. What do you call Late? September is the end of the season October can still be quite reasonable but the days start to get shorter and the weather colder. It can be wet anytime so thats not a factor.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations