Ireland Travel Answers

change location
Weaslebeee's Profile Photo

Help with flights to and from Dublin

by Weaslebeee Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

My husband and I are traveling through Europe for a month this coming May and will begin and end our trip in Dublin. We will at some point need to get from Dublin to London and Paris to Dublin.

Can anyone reccomend a cheap airline or website to book these flights?

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Help with flights to and from Dublin

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Why are you ending your tour in Dublin? Is it just because you think you have to enter and leave Europe from the same city? Or do you have some final tourist business there?

Normally, not knowing more about your situation, I would say (1) fly to Dublin, (2) fly to London, then (3) fly home from Paris. This is called an "open jaw" ticket, and is likely no more expensive than paying to fly back to Dublin, then flying home...of course, like everything in life, "it depends".

Second, I would price a multi-city fare with three segments. I assume that you are planning on taking the Eurostar train from London to Paris (very nice, if pricey, although advance purchase can reduce the fare a lot). From California, this means that you are likely to find solutions on "legacy" airlines. While it's true that there are discount airlines in Europe that are very good for Europeans, they sometimes have much stricter baggage requirements than the legacy airlines, which means that the luggage that went free or cheap across the pond now will cost you a lot of money.

I can't guarantee, of course, that a multi-city arrangement will be cheaper, but it may be simpler, and there is always something nice about keeping with the same airline or airline group on a trip (if something goes wrong, they are more likely to take care of you).

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Weaslebeee's Profile Photo

by Weaslebeee Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Thank you Bill! We did look into open jaw tickets. (I really didn't want to have to start and end in the same place) however, after months of pricing tickets it turned out to be cheaper to do it this way. Anyhow, I did not consider the extra baggage requirements. I will definitely watch out for that. Thanks again!

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I would recommend flying easyjet.com and bmi.com. Did you want to fly into Heathrow or Gatwick? Best web site I use for comparing cheap flights is kayak.com.

• stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I agree, Easyjet or BMIBaby.

Ryanair are very very strict with their luggage stipulations and 1 or 2 ml oversize will cost heaps.

Budget airlines, as said before are great if you reside in the area they operate, but coming from overseas, the restrictions on free baggage allowances can cripple, especially if you are traveling for a while. Also cabin bag restrictions are far more severe, usually 1 bag each person, no more that 7kg, no deviations from that, and generally size restrictions as well.

An open Jaw ticket may well end up the cheapest way out for you in the long run unless you travel very very lightly.

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Both Aer Lingus and Ryanair offer reasonably priced flights in and out of Dublin. While Ryanair may appear cheaper initially there can be a lot of add-ons ( eg baggage, not checking in online,adjacent seats, etc,)also they tend to use out lying airports which necessitate extra costs for buses/trains to the city centre. Aer Lingus flies directly to the main European city airport, eg Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Schiphol etc.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I found a really good fare a couple of years ago between Dublin and London on Aer Lingus. Ryan Air has a lot of add ons, so be careful when comparing ticket prices

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I have been unable to find an open-jaw ticket from the US that didn't cost way more than just going back to the point of origin and staying there in a hotel at the airport for one night.

I've flown Aer Lingus and wasn't that impressed, and my daughter often flew Ryan Air when she lived in England. There is a website that compares air fares from various airlines.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Hi MZ, Wait a few weeks and I suspect some of the across the pond airfares will be heading down. Try looking at Dublin to say Glasgow, and you can find some really low cost flights. Karl

• Re: Help with flights to and from Dublin

by WineBuffTraveller Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Don't forget that between London and Dublin, you're not forced to fly...

Simply buy a SailRail ticket, for journeys starting in Dublin at www.irishferries.com/ie/sailrail.asp for 45 euros on any date, any day, starting in London at www.raileasy.com (select 'Dublin Port (Irish ferries) as destination and 'London (mainline stations' as origin) for £38 any day, any date.

The best service leaves Dublin Port 08:05 by luxurious cruise ferry 'Ulysses' to Holyhead with a train connection arriving London 17:38.

Or leave London Euston 09:10 (08:50 Sats, 08:15 Suns) for Holyhead by train, then the cruise ferry 'Ulysses' to Dublin Port arriving 17:25.

No airport stress, no check-in, departs and arrives in central London at Euston station, not an airport 15-30 miles outside Town. And great scenery all along the North Wales coast, past Conway Castle and Chester city walls.

by WineBuffTraveller Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Oh, in case it wasn't clear, the ticket (at those cheap prices!) covers both the ferry AND train.

Top tip, pay an extra 18 euros on board the Ulysses for access to the VIP Martello Club Lounge, with great views forward over the ship's bridge of the coast approaching, and complientary red and white wine, smoked salmon canapees, tea and coffee.

by WineBuffTraveller Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Oh, in case it wasn't clear, the ticket (at those cheap prices!) covers both the ferry AND train.

Top tip, pay an extra 18 euros on board the Ulysses for access to the VIP Martello Club Lounge, with great views forward over the ship's bridge of the coast approaching, and complientary red and white wine, smoked salmon canapees, tea and coffee.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations