Ireland Travel Answers

change location
CaptainLarry's Profile Photo

Lodging in county Laois

by CaptainLarry Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

My First Mate and I wish to spend a couple of nights in July in County Laois. We specifically want to visit in and around Mountmellick. Any suggestions for lodging in that area?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • tony2phones's Profile Photo

Re: Lodging in county Laois

by tony2phones Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:13 AM

The only place near the town I can think of that side of the Slieve Bloom is Barrow View but its a little bit out from town
    goireland.com/laois/barrow-v...
    looking in the phone book Margaret Farrell is listed under B&B phone number will be sent as a message..
    Is there a reason for Montmelick or would Birr on this side or Portlaoise come into the ball park?

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Here’s a link to what seems to be the only B&B near Mountmellick: goireland.com/laois/barrow-v...

If you want to stay in a hotel there are several in nearby Portlaoise. I’ve stayed in the Portlaoise Heritage, which is right in the centre of town and is fine. On the outskirts of town is the Killeshin Hotel (highly recommended by my sister) or the Maldron Hotel, a little further away from Mounmellick. If you want luxury there is the Heritage Golf and Spa Resort at Killinard. Just Google any of the above for further information.

• CaptainLarry's Profile Photo

by CaptainLarry Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Thanks, Tony. Mountmellick is an ancestral home. I will be renting a car at Dublin Airport so using Portlaoise or, probably, Birr as a base and driving to Mountmellick would probably be satisfactory,

Be the first to rate this answer!

by CaptainLarry Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Ann Marie, thank you also. I will check the reverences you recommend. I had already determined that Portlaoise was the most likely location for our lodging.

by CaptainLarry Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Sorry, I wasn't paying close enought attention to my typing. I left the "e" off of Anne and hit a "v" instead of "f" in references. But you probably understood what I meant.

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM

You're welcome Larry, and don't worry about the typos, so easy to hit the wrong button! Hope you find somewhere nice, get back to me if you have any further questions and I'll try to help. Anne Marie

by CaptainLarry Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

After looking over the possibilities I booked a room for two nights at the Killeshin Hotel in Portlaoise. I will be renting a car (Vauxhall Corsa or equivalent) at Dublin Airport from Enterprise Rental Car.

Now I just need a few suggestions about the route from DUB to Portlaoise and return. Specifically, am I likely to encounter tolll roads? What are the tolls and what coinage will I need to pay the tolls?

How convenient to DUB are the petrol stations for topping off the tank before returning the car?

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Hi Larry,
    Glad to hear you've made a booking, I'm sure you will be very comfortable at the Killeshin.
    On your departure from the airport you will have to pass one toll on the M50 but it’s barrier free.
    The cost is €3.10 and you can pay by ringing 1890 50 10 50 or by logging on to www.eflow.ie and go ‘to pay toll as an unregistered driver, you must do this by 8pm. You can also pay in a shop that displays the ‘payzone’ sign.
    The best way to work out the route is on www.aaireland.com, make sure you have ticked ‘Ireland’ as opposed to UK or GB and put Dublin airport in the start box and Killeshin Hotel, Portlaoise in the destination box. The journey is very easy, about 60 miles and will take a little over an hour.
    For a map of petrol stations near Dublin airport:
    thrifty.ie/aboutpetrolstatio...
    Just enlarge the map and choose one in Finglas or Ballymun, there are none actually on the M50 so you will have to slip off for a slight detour and then get back on the airport route.
    All the best,
    Anne Marie

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Missed out a bit of that website address: thrifty.ie/aboutpetrolstatio...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ireland Travel Answer Locations