Iquitos Travel Answers

change location

Bad idea to head straight from Lima to Iquitos?

by dingdong001 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Ok, I'm assuming this is an awful idea, and would almost certainly result in altitude sickness without being able to acclimatize first, but has anyone done it/have any input?

The only reason I'm asking is that I wish to be in Iquitos on particular dates for the festivals there, but am going at such a time that visiting everywhere I want to in southern and central Peru will result in arriving at dates after this.

So, I was wondering in a kind of hectic panic would going straight to Iquitos from Lima be such a bad idea? I've heard from someone (not sure how reliable) that it's not a good idea, but from what I've seen Iquitos isn't at the same altitudes as say Cuzco.

Input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Bad idea to head straight from Lima to Iquitos?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Depending where you are in Lima, it can be at a higher altitude than Iquitos. You won't run into any altitude related issues at either. We flew straight from Lima to Iquitos, before heading up the Amazon River.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • melosh's Profile Photo

by melosh Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM

You, or your informant, are confused in either the name of the city you want to visit or the altitude of Iquitos. Iquitos, the city in the Amazon, is only about 100 meters above sea level. Therefore, there is no altitude sickness risk. Lima to Iquitos by air is no problem. (By land plus boat is a slower, more complicated possibility.)
    Good luck.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM

and in addition to Meloshs answer Lima is low and doesnt need any acclimatising to start with (its so low there are warning signs all over the place to tell you where to go if theres any earthquake and ensuiing tsunami!

• Re: Bad idea to head straight from Lima to Iquitos?

by dingdong001 Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Ok, you see that's what I logically thought; that it was more towards Cuzco that had the altitude problems. But seeing as how the person who gave me this information has actually visited Peru, I naturally took their advice. I'll have to think twice about their info in the future!

Thank you all for confirming this, it's both really helpful and also wonderful news for me!

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM

http://wikitravel.org/en/Iquitos

maybe the person was thinking about Quito...which is not Peru anyway so thats probably an unlikely mix up - but do take care that you are sorted with anti-malarials - we went through Peru, Chile and Bolivia but did not need anti-malarials because we did not go to the Amazon or any rainforest area.

when you do go up to the heights of Peru its recommended that you have 2nights in Cusco - theres a lot to do and see there anyway - to have a good amount of time to acclimatise and I would definitely recommend going to the Inca sites at Pisac and Olyantaytambo as well on your way to Macchu Picchu - if you have time I reckon Olyantaytambo was such a lovely spot 2 nights there would be lovely - so also was Aguas Calientes which is the town below Macchu Picchu...loved Peru very much and would love to go back and see more of it.

and for sure Id recommend you make sure you have a good guide book such as the Lonely Planet or Footprints so you really make the most of your precious time there!

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Iquitos in not only in the malarial area, it is in the yellow fever area as well, so a trip to the travel medicine clinic prior to going is highly advisable.

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

but in case you are interested i went with tour company www.gadventures.com and they were really like a tour thats not like youre on tour stuck in a tour group - was very positive and not expensive - they have some excellent Peruvian tour leaders and really good for places that are not so easy to get to

• dansak's Profile Photo

by dansak Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

As you can see, Iquitos is in the jungle not in the highlands. The best way to go from Lima to Iquitos is by airplane.

1 member found this helpful

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

When we did it, the flight dd not take very long; perhaps 75 minutes. Our flight to Iquitos had a short stop somewhere in the middle, so it took around 2+ hours but the flight back was direct.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Iquitos