Iquitos Travel Answers

change location
waltinsocal's Profile Photo

Piranha fishing

by waltinsocal Online Now Feb 16, 2008 at 8:35 AM

I am going to Iquitos in September and am especially interested in piranha fishing. Does anyone know of a good tour that does such a thing, and how far from Iquitos one must travel to do this in terms of time. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: Piranha fishing

by cassiovieggore Online Now Feb 16, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I'm brazilian but Iquitos is around 850Km far away from Lima/Peru. Iquitos is on the peruvian Amazon. The most near brazilian city to Iquitos is Santa Rosa do Purus. I believe the best way to reach Iquitos is by Lima. I'm listing some nice links to you. I know they will not answer all your questions. Iquitos is on a amazon region, very distant of comfort and technology.
    lonelyplanet.com/maps/south-...
    krolltravel.com/stories/Braz...
    pescamazon.com.br/htm/peixes...
    Cassiovieggore

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by cassiovieggore Online Now Feb 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM

This another link may help you in choosing your glimpse tour:
    travel.peru.com/travel/engli...
    Cassiovieggore

• johnmperry's Profile Photo

Re: Piranha fishing

by johnmperry Online Now Feb 16, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I was in Iquitos in 2002. Interesting place. I'm sure you know it can be reached only by air or by river.

We took a "jungle" tour. That included piranha (piraƱa) fishing on the Amazon. Allegedly. We sat in a boat with lines and hooks baited with good steak. We could feel the fish taking the meat, but the hooks were way too big to catch any but the stupidest fish. Net result (pardon pun), was about expenditure = nearly half a kilo of steak, income = about half a dozen little fish. Piranha are really small fish, about the size of your little finger. It's only when there lots of them together they become a threat. If you're brave/silly enough, you can bathe with them, and they will come and clean your mouth out!

flickr.com/photos/john37perr...

• nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Feb 16, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I never went to Iquitos but yes, the most convenient way to go there is by air from Lima.
    For piranha fishing there I suggest you have a look at the pages of my friend Ken, kzapanta.

• kzapanta's Profile Photo

by kzapanta Online Now Feb 19, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Noel!!

Yes, I have first hand knowledge of fishing for piranha in the Amazon near Iquitos. The fishes we caught were not finger sized but about the a foot long but they do bite fingers. (as one of my tips show you how to do so correctly.)

Poster, if you ever read the answers, you can vtmail me directly and I see you are close by from me.

Ken

• waltinsocal's Profile Photo

by waltinsocal Online Now Mar 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my original question. I am not able to visit this forum often but I do sincerely appreciate everyone's help!! Happy Travels...

by 7wowtravel Online Now Aug 5, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Try www.junglelodge.com. This Lodge is 3 hours from Iquitos. I have used them 3 times and they are GREAT!!!

by 7wowtravel Online Now Aug 5, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Try www.junglelodge.com. This Lodge is 3 hours from Iquitos. I have used them 3 times and they are GREAT!!!

by 7wowtravel Online Now Aug 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I have eaten lots of piranha. The ones I catch and keep are about 6 inches long and they are about 3 inches tall. Anything smaller than that you will use as bait. They are the kind of fish that the second you feel them on your line you jerk up to catch them or they will just get all the meat off of your line. Chicken and piranha are the only bait I have ever used.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Iquitos