Ios Island Travel Answers

change location
JCTraveler's Profile Photo

3 days and in need of suggestions!

by JCTraveler Online Now Aug 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM

My traveling partner and I will be in Ios for 3 days in mid Sept. We are looking for suggestions of where to stay and what to see while there. We are 2 females in our mid 20's and enjoy daytime relaxation or sight seeing but also enjoy a nightlife atmosphere.

What are the best areas of the island to stay in?

Is it best to reserve a hotel or figure that out upon arrival?

Any other suggestions on restaurants, bars, sights, etc.

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: 3 days and in need of suggestions!

by Ouzone Online Now Aug 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM

There's really only one area to stay in on Ios and that is:
    Port - Chora - Mylopotas Beach.

I always stay in the Port area which is away from general melee of the Chora where most of the nightlife is.

You can walk up the path to Chora in 15 mins. Up to about 24:00 depending on season is a bus running Port > Chora > Mylopotas Beach.

You should be able to gat a decent room for around 30 Euros or so.

There's nothing much in the way of sights except Chora and the many beaches and of course the nightlife.

There are a few decent Greek Restaurants, but it's mainly fast food places.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DvaSrca's Profile Photo

Re: 3 days and in need of suggestions!

by DvaSrca Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Hello, I stayed in Mylopotas four years ago, in the morning it has a lively (and lovely) beach and in the evening it's really quiet and calm, without many passer-by's. So I guess it's a good option, the port is way too lively in the morning and way too dead in the evening for my tastes. As far as bars etc. are concerned, the only one that was really different from the others and memorable was one close to the church at the entrance of the Chora, I cannot remember the name but it was a small ouzeri (that means traditional bar with ouzo and other local drinks/food) where a company of young local people played live music and sang almost every night without even being paid for it, they just liked to gather there and have a good time. We really had a good time there and visited the place twice, it was really easy-going and everyone was so friendly and genuine. Definately NOT a tourist trap. Most of the restaurants/bars/clubs in Ios are not really worth mentioning, since the island is really touristy, unfortunately.

• Re: 3 days and in need of suggestions!

by boxerdogheidi Online Now Aug 12, 2010 at 4:43 PM

We always stay on Mylopotos Beach. The bus goes every 15 minutes, from beach to town to port and back. The views are great. But if you plan to be partying really late, you'd have to take a taxi back to your room. So in that case I guess it would be better to stay in the town, where you could walk to bars, and take the bus to and from beach during the day. In September I would just get a room when I got off the boat. There's always lots of people renting rooms when the boats come in. We like to stay at Manthos Place on Mylopotos Beach.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines