Ios Island Travel Answers

change location

Crete to Ios transportation?

by irenegirl Online Now Mar 29, 2006 at 9:49 PM

Hi everyone. We're going to be in Greece for a month May 2006. In our excitement over booking hotels, we forgot to make sure we could travel between our chosen islands and are having trouble connecting buses and ferries.

1. Has anyone travelled in may ( may 18th for us)from Crete to Ios? I found a KTEL bus to take us to Heraklion for 8am, then a Blue star ferry 8:15am to Piraeus, and later to Ios to arrive at 1:05am on the 19th. I'm worried about having only 15 minutes in Heraklion before the ferry leaves... is this possible to do? How much in advance do we need to be at the ferry terminal? Is there a better, more direct option? I'd be grateful for any advice on this!!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Spincat's Profile Photo

RE: Crete to Ios transportation?

by Spincat Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 8:32 AM

I have, sort of, done this journey but we went via Santorini where there were far more ferries - we went to Santorini from Crete (daily ferries) and tehn from Santorini to Ios (we didn't need to go to Piraeus at all) . So we didn't have the anxiety of meeting tight ferry connection (and yours do sound tight). We also had the benefit of seeing santorini, which is always a bonus. That was some time ago so you would need to research current connections.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Crete to Ios transportation?

by NatassaPL Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 12:56 PM

There is travel agancy in Heraklion "Paleologos travel ag." they run all boat departures from crete and they know very well what are the plans of the shiping companies. Call them!
    tel: +30-2810-346185
    www.paleologos.gr

• RE: Crete to Ios transportation?

by Ouzone Online Now Mar 30, 2006 at 6:38 PM

You need to go to Heraklion then a ferry to Ios, which is roughly 4x/week Hellenic Seaways. You will need to check while on Crete for the correct days.
    cretetravel.com/To_and_from_...

• RE: RE: Crete to Ios transportation?

by irenegirl Online Now Apr 16, 2006 at 6:09 PM

you've been very helpful, thanx!! we switched our hotel for one day to one in Heraklion, and are lucky the ferry will travel on the day we need! thanks again!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines