Ios Island Travel Answers

change location

is it necessary to book accomodation in advance?

by traceyknowles Online Now Mar 7, 2003 at 7:29 AM

is there an airport on the island? i have heard that there are ferries from Santorini and Athens to the island, i would like to know how often. is it an expensive island? i am just a poor student traveller afterall! is it a PARTY ISLAND?! is it necessary to book accomodation well in advance? i have heard that accomodation is cheaper before the middle of July, is this true? are there any flights directly from ireland,preferebly dublin airport, to santorini or athens? which is nearest the island? thanx a lot, hope to get feedback soon! :-)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • TravelerM's Profile Photo

Party island

by TravelerM Online Now Mar 7, 2003 at 8:05 AM

Yes, Ios is a party island!! If you come from Germany or other European country, taking the flight to Santorni then ferry to Ios would be the fastest way. Don't worry about booking the accomodation. There will be people at the dock asking you to stay at their guest houses no matter how late you arrive. You can bargain the prices, but starting from the end of June thruout July and Auguest is the peak season. Maranda

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Mr_Furious's Profile Photo

by Mr_Furious Online Now Mar 7, 2003 at 8:40 AM

I spend alot of time there back in 2001: - There are 2 daily slow ferries from Athens and Santorini. There some extra fast services but these are much more expensive. Santorini is closer and if you're lucky you might get a cheap charter return ticket, otherwise flights to Athens tend to be reasonably priced. - Yes, this is a party island, there are no package tourists, only backpackers!! Reason: there's no airport so the touroperators don't offer it in their guides, so no-one knows it) - NO, it is not necessary to book in advance, not even in high season. There will always be plenty of touts waiting for you when you get of the boat. - Yes, it is fairly expensive, but not outrageous.If you want to save money camp and get drunk on beer from the supermarket before you hit the bars !! Anyway, it's a great island and I can recommend it, it's big fun

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

accomodation in advance?

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 7, 2003 at 9:20 AM

From Ireland you would have to get a flight to Athens instead of Santorini, unless a travel agent there was offering a charter flight direct to the island. Paros, Naxos, Santorini and Ios are all close to equidistant from each other. By Ferry, Ios is closest to Santorini.

• boii's Profile Photo

Re: accomodation in advance?

by boii Online Now Mar 7, 2003 at 3:27 PM

ios is definatley a rockin' party, although i've found in the past 2-3 years, the world is really out more so then ever and it's becoming a little bit insane with travellers. i think the cheapest (and most wild) place to stay is far out camping ground, though i'd highly recommend francescos in the square which is fairly cheap too. definatley depeding on what time of year your going (end july or august) it couldn't hurt to plan ahead because as i mentioned, the island gets packed. i got there by ferrying from italy to corfu, then taking a bus/boat to athens and then another boat to ios. but obviously there's an airport in athens which i'd recommend over the one in santorini as i personally found that hectic, packed boat ride part of the experience. enjoy. party hard. cheers. ken (by the way, lagos in portugal [the algarve] is also a backpacker's party point, water isn't as warm, but it's a damn good time if you're on that side of europe).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines