Inverness

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 3 nights in Skye VS 2 nights in Skye + 1 night in Inverness

Isle of Skye Apr 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM

My husband and I are arriving into Edinburgh on July 8th. We spend 2 nights there - and then rent a car and the plan is to drive to Skye on the 10th. We have 3 nights booked in Skye at the Rowan Cottage Tree House. We then have a flight out from Inverness to London on the 13th at 2PM.

My question is do you think we should do 3 nights in Skye or should we spend the last night in Inverness since we have a flight out from there on the 13th afternoon.

Also any suggestions on good routes from Edinburgh to Skye and any recommendations for what distilleries to visit perhaps on the way to Skye? My husband really enjoys Scotch where as I can be the designated driver.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

more
    • Isle of Skye

Isle of Skye Apr 10, 2014 at 1:46 AM

What is the most beautiful remote area of the isle of skye. we want amazing sea views with the possibility of seeing whales, dolphins,seals otters etc.

more
    • Isle of skye for 2 days

Isle of Skye Apr 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Is it better to hire a Isle of skye tour or one can roam around the whole area with public transport?

more
    • 8 days in Scotland

Isle of Skye Mar 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I am planning my family's first trip to Scotland. We will be there for 8 days. I am wondering if I should include the Isle of Skye? My children are 12 and 9 (my son turns 10 while we are there). So far I am planning 2 days in Edinburgh, 2 days for Perth and the surrounding areas, 2 days in Inverness and the surrounding areas and I was just wondering where best to spend the other 2 days. Thanks

more
    • Canny Tours

by DeCarr Online Now Feb 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Is Canny Tours (Inverness) still in business?
      I tried to email them from the address on their website, however it was returned to me as undeliverable.

5 Answers Feb 20, 2014 at 3:45 AM
    • Waiting for transport in Inverness

by IanB7 Online Now Aug 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM

What pubs/restaurants would be open between midnight and four am midweek

2 Answers Aug 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    • Yantilley's Profile Photo

Something different to do in and around Inverness

by Yantilley Online Now Jun 8, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Can anybody think of anything fun to do in Inverness area on a warm Saturday,I normally do lots of mountain hiking/climbing,skiing now finished,am bored mountain biking,any ideas please

4 Answers Jun 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM
    • tartanboro's Profile Photo

Wimbledon final on Sunday

by tartanboro Online Now Jul 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

can anyone recommend a pub/club that will be showing the Wimbledon final live on Sunday afternoon?

• paulafrapp's Profile Photo

A new VT member in Inverness May 31 thru June 5 2011

by paulafrapp Online Now Feb 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Hi there!
      I'm new to VT and thought I'd introduce myself and perhaps post a "meet" if there is interest. I will be in Inverness - the second stop of my trip and thought it would be great to see if other VT'rs might want to meet for beer/drink/soda/coffee? I've been reading all the great posts, tips, photo's, planners etc. but I think meeting folks in person is the best way to learn and understand the area, but more importantly - meet new friends :) I'm only going to be walking and taking public transporation and will be staying "minutes away from all Inverness has to offer" and "right in the heart of Inverness" at a B&B. So I wanted to see if there was any interest and if so - get suggestions on where and when to meet. Thanks to all and hope to be meeting some of you! Paula

11 Answers Apr 25, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    • Looking for suggestions on places to see around Inverness

by tvmaly Online Now Jul 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I finally booked my place to stay in Inverness. I will be in Edinburgh for the first part of my stay in Scotland. I will be taking a few day trips out of Edinburgh to see the surrounding area. On August 4, I will be taking a train up to Inverness to stay till August 7. There seems to be many wonderful places to see in the Highlands. I would love to be able to see the most scenic places during my short visit. Could someone suggest a few must see places in the region surrounding Inverness?

Best Regards

Ty

14 Answers Aug 10, 2010 at 1:31 AM
    • anitpotter's Profile Photo

nokia coast to coast scotland. mtb advice sought

by anitpotter Online Now Jul 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM

scotlandcoasttocoast.com/rou...

hi, im doing this challenge. theres little info on the offroad section which runs 25miles south from port augustus on the northern side of the loch, any one around who knows the off road section involved and can tell me whether its a trail path, rocky, loose? any info please to help me with tyre choices would be great or links to local mtb forums so i can post there
      thanks
      tina

2 Answers Jul 19, 2010 at 12:02 AM
    • Rodaroo's Profile Photo

Taxi Tariff from Inverness to Fort Augustus

by Rodaroo Online Now Jul 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Does anyone have any idea, of the tariff charge for a Taxi from Inverness to Fort Augustus?
      I realise that there is Public Transportation to and from for about 9:00gbp
      Thanks for your help! (again)
      Rod in Canada!

3 Answers Jul 15, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    • Places to stay outside of Inverness

by tvmaly Online Now Jul 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I will be traveling to Edinburgh on August 1 taking a few day tours. On August 4, I wanted to head up to the highlands around Inverness by train and stay until August 7. However, I really do not know where to stay. The hotels in Inverness are a little pricey this time of year. I would not mind staying outside the city or possibly in another town. Can anyone suggest a safe clean hotel or B&B for around 60-75 pounds per night?

Best Regards

Ty

8 Answers Jul 22, 2010 at 4:17 AM
    • Inverness transportation

by makes3 Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 5:59 PM

My son will be travelling the UK in July and will be leaving Inverness on 7/7, then travel to Dublin to fly out from there on 7/9. Can someone provide me with information on the cheapest, most reliable mode of transportation to get from Inverness to Dublin on those dates? He will be staying at the Inverness Youth Hostel and going to Isaac's Hostel in Dublin.

Thank you in advance.

3 Answers Jun 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    • need a hotel near Muirtown Locks

by MarkBev Online Now Apr 16, 2010 at 7:42 AM

We need to stay in a hotel near Muirtown Locks for one night before our tour starts. Can anyone suggest a hotel?

1 Answer Jun 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    • JudithToy's Profile Photo

traveling next july & august

by JudithToy Online Now Nov 10, 2009 at 6:11 AM

How can we get from Dublin to Inverness by train? We will be leaving Dublin late July and wanting to return to Dublin mid-August. Thanks!

8 Answers Nov 11, 2009 at 12:05 AM
    • Inverness to Carliff

by JoAnnP Online Now Oct 27, 2009 at 3:00 PM

We need to get from Inverness to Carliff in July, we want to go the most convenience and not too expensive.
      Thanks

10 Answers Oct 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    • Coming to Inverness!

by kitty_09 Online Now Mar 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM

hello,

I am coming to inverness mid august, and will be there for a month, what is there to do there? I will be traveling to other places but most of my time will be spent there, i wont need accomodation just some good places to shop, and see some of the beautiful country!

3 Answers Mar 10, 2009 at 11:59 PM
    • clausito's Profile Photo

Whisky-Tour in april

by clausito Online Now Mar 1, 2009 at 12:14 AM

4 older Danes plan a Whisky-Tour in april

2 days in Edinburgh - 4 days on the road (rent a car) and 1 night in Edinburgh on our way back

3rd day go and stay in Inverness and from there explore Speyside (Whisky)

Any suggestion where to go, stay and eat on our Whisky-Tour

Expensive? We would really like to spent a night on a real castle - any suggestions?

13 Answers Apr 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    • Open call for help.....

by TNRonin Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Hey I just thought I would ask. I did this for a young Frenchman who came to visit Tennessee. I helped the young man with our language, customs, and locations in middle Tn. We became good friends and I look forward to his return. Would anyone be willing to meet with my daughter, a good friend of mine, and myself in July to possibly get some pointers on what to see and do in Inverness? We plan on kicking around Inverness for about two weeks starting on the 15th of July. We are going to stay in a hostel (student hotel, if possible) and just use it as a base of operations and sleeping location.

I'm particularly interested in the local customs and life. I'm a teacher and I have summers basically off. I have hopes that I can bring my wife back on a regular basis to visit so IF I can make some friends in Inverness that would be great. I am going to do my best to get to know the people in Inverness.

So anyway, it is late here, and early where you will read this. We would greatly appreciate it if someone would take the time to help some intrepid travelers.

Mitchell

5 Answers Mar 1, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    • iaint's Profile Photo

dolphins

by iaint Online Now Dec 9, 2008 at 11:21 PM

I'm thinking of a trip to Inverness at the end of the month which could involve an overnight trip.

I'd love to see the Moray Firth dolphins, but as my friend gets seasick easily, a boat trip is out of the question.

That leaves Chanonry Point on the Black Isle to see them from the shore.

Questions -

anyone know if there's a particular time of day or state of the tide when the chances are better?

is the time of year relevant - for example would our chances be better in summer?

7 Answers Dec 30, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    • civic1500's Profile Photo

Help! where can i find a public car park near Inverness castle!

by civic1500 Online Now Sep 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Hi,

I am now in Inverness just checking in a b&b and will leave in tomorrow. Just want to know where can I find a public car park for my car during my visit to the castle tomorrow before I leaving. Anyone can give a hint would be much appreciated.

thanks,

3 Answers Sep 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM
    • Caravan Tourist

by dancingchappy Online Now Aug 5, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Thank you Uncle Andrew for your very helpful advice, my wife and I plan to tour Scotland in September for the very first time, to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary,we intend to visit Culloden and stay at the Caravan Club site there, then travel South from Inverness to the Isle of Skye, is the route given, B582, to Fort Augustus suitable for Car and Caravan outfit, your help would be very much appreciated, and may save me some embarrassing many thanks.
      A Chapman

2 Answers Aug 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    • A B&B

by Blacksta Online Now May 6, 2008 at 6:33 AM

Does anyone know the Ivor Villa B&B in Kenneth Street.
      Is it OK? If not can I have another suggestion.

1 Answer May 6, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    • KIRKWALL HELP

by vickyjf11 Online Now May 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Hi,
      we will be in Kirkwall for a few hours. I cannot find information on hop on hop off bus. Can someone inform me ABOUT THIS. ALSO HOW FAR IS THE CENTER OF TOWN FROM THE SEAPORT. THANK YOU

2 Answers May 2, 2008 at 8:21 AM
    • Arriving in a cruiseship

by vickyjf11 Online Now Apr 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM

We will be docking at the Inverness seaport, and would like to get information as to where do we catch the hop on- hop off bus.Also the best places to visit. Will be in Inverness for about7 hours.Thanks

4 Answers May 6, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    • Inverness to Orkney - Scrabster or John O'Groats?

by penerod Online Now Apr 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Hi,
      I was just wondering if it is easier to get from Inverness to Orkney via Scrabster or John O'Groats?
      I have no vehicle so will be getting around by train, bus and ferry.
      I see the ferries from Scrabster go to Stromness and the JOG ferries go to Kirkwall, which is the best base for traveling around the islands, boat and bus?
      Thanks for any help:-)

3 Answers Jun 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM
    • Should I Book

by Blacksta Online Now Mar 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM

We intend to be touring the Highlands in June /July (school holidays) will I need to prebook my B&Bs, Hotels etc. or can I take the chance.

7 Answers Apr 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM
    • Distance

by emmzy Online Now Mar 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how long it would take to get from Lochgoilhead to Inverness? and also from Inverness to Isle of skye? Thanx.

3 Answers Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 AM
    • Highland Country Bus Fare

by Raahat Online Now Mar 26, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Hi,

I need to go to the Inverness Airport on the 7th of April and after looking online I found out that I can take the Highland Country Bus Service No. 11 to the Airport quite easily from Falcon Square. What it doesnt say anywhere online is the cost of the ticket. Does anyone know what an Adult One Way (Single) Fare would be for this?

Thanks

1 Answer Mar 26, 2008 at 1:04 AM
    • has anyone any tips about spean bridge

by sophydog1 Online Now Mar 14, 2008 at 10:01 AM

will be staying there in april would love to know what the surrounding area is like any tips what are the roads like

7 Answers Mar 15, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    • Weather or Not

by Blacksta Online Now Mar 5, 2008 at 2:34 PM

We will bw touring Scotland to the north of Inverness for two weeks June into July. I expect the weather to be "changeable" . Could I have some idea of what to expect from an experienced traveller or local. I understand that "layering' is a good way to cope with the change. Is there any clothing that is a must take?

9 Answers Mar 17, 2008 at 11:49 PM
    • columbus756's Profile Photo

Scottish Highlands and Islands

by columbus756 Online Now Feb 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I am considering an Elderhostel trip titled "Land, Sea and Skye: Scottish Highlands and Lislands"

Have anyone done this trip? Experience with Elderhostel. The main place we will stay is Aigas Field Centre and House of Aigas.
      I am traveling by myself & outside the US for the first time. Sinlge & 65. I want be able to walk and visit small villages and stay out of cities.

9 Answers Mar 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    • Gay man moving to Inverness??? good or bad mover

by frenchlondon Online Now May 10, 2007 at 5:07 AM

HI, i know this forum is for people needing travel info rather than info about moving to a place but i can't find the info i need anywhere else.
      Anyway as my name suggest, i live in London and after 11 years of a crazy life here i need to settle down and i want to stop the rat race. I need somewhere quiet and a lot cheaper than London. However i am gay and although i am not looking for a gay scene (been there done that), i still want a place where i could be safe and accepted. I considered moving to Glasgow as accomodation is dirt cheap compared to London but i have been advised again because of the violence issue.

So my question are: What is Invrness like ? What is the job situation? Is it a safe city with a very good quality of life as i ve ben told? Would i get bored or is there enuff stuff to do to get busy and have a good social life?
      Is it true the people are friendly and welcome (dont answer this one if u are a local lol!) ?

Many thanks.

7 Answers Dec 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM