Inverness Travel Answers

change location

Inverness transportation

by makes3 Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 5:59 PM

My son will be travelling the UK in July and will be leaving Inverness on 7/7, then travel to Dublin to fly out from there on 7/9. Can someone provide me with information on the cheapest, most reliable mode of transportation to get from Inverness to Dublin on those dates? He will be staying at the Inverness Youth Hostel and going to Isaac's Hostel in Dublin.

Thank you in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Re: Inverness transportation

by johngayton Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM

It depends what he wants to do in Dublin. If he's only using Dublin as a transit stop and is in no particular hurry then I'd suggest going by bus from Inverness to Stranraer (via Glasgow and either Ayr or Dumfries) and then getting the ferry from there to Belfast. Then from Belfast take the train (or bus) down to Dublin. All-in it's a long day's travel (about 14 hours or so depending on route and connections) but a fun trip if you enjoy travelling.

For the Scottish bit - www.travelinescotland.com For the ferry bit - www.stenaline.co.uk For the Belfast to Dublin bit - (by bus) www.translink.co.uk (by train) www.irishrail.ie

There's loads of routes including overnight possibilities and of course there's always flights.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Cheapest air fares are booked well in advance but they are a feasible option for your dates as it's a short hop.

www.skyscanner.net will list options, carriers and 'from' fares for that date.

I don't think there are any direct flights to Dublin from Inverness but there are flights to Belfast with Flybe www.flybe.com

From there, bus or train to Dublin.

Or coach

www.nationalexpress.com

or train

www.nationalrail.co.uk

from Inverness to Edinburgh then fly to Dublin with either Ryanair (hold baggage 15kg....remember to check charges carefully before booking) www.ryanair.com or Aer Lingus www.aerlingus.com

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

by Richard.GVA Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I would probably opt for www.ryanair.com from Dublin to Glasgow-Prestwick Airport, then continue from Glasgow (Buchanan rail and bus station) by bus or train to Inverness.

Richard

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines