Inverness Travel Answers

change location

Best route Carlisle to Beauly

by warmley Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 9:44 PM

Hi,

I am driving up to Scotland for a holiday. I have planned to overnight at Carlisle.
Can anyone give me the best route from Carlisle to Beauly. I will be travelling Saturday 18th June leaving Carlisle at about 10am needing to be in Beauly by about 3-4pm.
Looking on the map, M74 towards Glasow A725 / 726 around Glasgow across Erskine Bridge then A82 all up past the Lochs looks an excellent choice, on the map at least. Is there a better route or will this one see me sat in hours of traffic at this tile of year?

Thanks for any information.

W.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Best route Carlisle to Beauly

by q8ian Online Now Jun 15, 2005 at 10:00 PM

Hi,
    Your proposed route is scenic but slow. The quickest way is up the M74 then across the M73 to the M90(? that might be wrong I'm speaking from memory)- head for Stirling and then Perth and up the A9. This will probably be very busy all the way but you will keep going. At Inverness go straight through over the Kessock bridge and turn off at Tore for Muir of Ord and Beauly.
    If you want to take the scenic route up Loch Lomond side I would go straight through Glasgow on the north side. This will take longer though. I doubt you'd make Beauly by 4pm by this route.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ali&Steve's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Best route Carlisle to Beauly

by Ali&Steve Online Now Jun 16, 2005 at 4:28 AM

If you go to www.theaa.co.uk, you can enter the start and finish points of your journey and get a step by step route (well, road by road, but you know what I mean). You can choose a route that avoids motorways or uses them, and any possible traffic black-spots will be shown.
    I've used the website to plan several journeys in the past, and it's never let me down yet.
    Ali

• RE: RE: Best route Carlisle to Beauly

by warmley Online Now Jul 11, 2005 at 1:00 PM

Your suggestion is exactly the route that I took thanks.

I took the scenic route on the way back.

It certainly is that, very scenic.

Also very long, and tiring. But worth the effort I would recommend it.

W

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines