Inverness Travel Answers

change location

activities

by dreiliterbembel Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 3:52 AM

Hi there!
We got just a few questions...
Are there some possibilities to do horseback-riding and walking tours in or nearby Inverness?
What can we do at night? Do you know the best pubs and places to go and have some fun?
Thanks for your help! Regards, Katja and Isi

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: activities

by q8ian Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 4:18 AM

Hi,

I stay near Inverness (Nairn)- though at the moment I'm in Kuwait!

Yes there are lots of places to do these activities - though I doubt you'd be able to book on line. You could try the "visitscotland" website to find riding stables - there are quite a few round Inverness though not being into that sort of thing I have never taken part.

As to walking - I doubt you'd find any tours as such but there are lots and lots of places you can walk round Inverness from forest walks to really serious mountaineering. Its a pretty big thing. There is no restriction on access so it is basically up to you where you go. For forest walks try looking at the Forestry Commission website - it is subdivided into regions so you should find something. All national (Forestry Commission) forests are open to walkers although some are more worth the effort than others. I can suggest you try - Aigas or several others in Glen Affric, the Culbin between Nairn and Forres with lots of marked trails and there are many others. If you want something more serious just go to the west - towards Ullapool or Gairloch - park the car and go - half an hour or so from Invernes and you can be in some serious country. A word of warning - the weather can be very unpredictable in Scotland (at any time of year) so if you are going any distance off the road make sure you have the right clothing and footwear.

There are lots of pubs and clubs in the centre of Inverness but except on the weekend you'll probably find them quiet. Inverness is not big so I'm sure you'll find what your looking for - if its there! There is a Spanish tapas bar on Castle Street - looking at the castle - which is very good (sounds tacky but its not). Otherwise most of the pubs etc are on Academy Street and off it - where the train station is.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: activities

by dreiliterbembel Online Now Jun 12, 2005 at 10:14 AM

Thank you very much, i think we will find something with your help.
    Although i hoped there would be a kind of "walking - group" where i could join in. I´m quite a bit scared to do this all alone.
    Hope you are not much home sick (i would be and i was as we left scotland last year, althoug we are german :))in Kuwait. Regards, Katja

• Jinty37's Profile Photo

RE: activities

by Jinty37 Online Now Jun 14, 2005 at 12:21 PM

I've just returned from walking The Great Glen Way, from Fort William to Inverness - 73 miles in total. It was great. I'm not suggesting you do the whole walk unless you've got 5 days to spare, but the 8 mile section from Fort Augustus to Invermoriston is good and has spectacular views over Loch Ness. Fort Augustus is a nice place to visit with a few shops,restaurants, pubs by the canal locks, boat trips on Loch Ness, and is on the bus route from Inverness. The route is well marked and the walking is not too strenuous but as before, the weather can be unpredictable so waterproofs and suitable footwear is necessary. The food was lovely and reasonably priced.

These links should be helpful for you.

www.rivercafeandrestaurant.co.uk - We had lunch here, Very good and reasonably priced.
    www.scotland-inverness.co.uk
    www.greatglenway.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines