Interlaken Travel Answers

change location

4 days in Switzerland, what do do?

by SatishHG Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I have 4 days in Switzerland, travelling from Paris towards Milan. The only reason I want to go to Zurich is to visit Rhine Falls, and the rest of the time I want to spend in and around Interlaken. I've excluded Berne and Geneva because I was told that it is a commercial city (unless I want to visit the UNO building). Can somebody suggest must see places for the rest of the 3 days in Interlaken.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: 4 days in Switzerland, what do do?

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

When are you going?

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen (a 20 minute train ride from Interlaken) in early October, 2008. We enjoyed our trip up to Schilthorn for breakfast in a revolving restaurant and taking in the sights below and the trip to the top. We enjoyed walking through the Lauterbrunnen valley and the in the mountain waterfalls at the end of the valley.

We walked around Interlaken for a day and went on a memorable paragliding experience. We did not get a chance to visit the other small towns around the lakes which we would have like to do.

We arrived after spending an afternoon walking the streets of Bern and visiting the Bear Park and taking in the numerous statues and fountains around town. On our last day we took the train up to Lucerne and enjoyed walking along the old city walls above the city and along the river.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: 4 days in Switzerland, what do do?

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Switzerland is a small place, that is easy to travel around in. You can take advantage from that by staying in one place.
    If you want to spend time in the Berner Oberland (around Interlaken) just base yourself there for your four days. You can travel to the Rheinfalls from anywhere in Switzerland, you don't need to stay in Zürich for that.

• sombat_ch's Profile Photo

Re: 4 days in Switzerland, what do do?

by sombat_ch Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Hi, from my swiss trip in 2011 , Interlaken was the midway for lake-trip Brienz and thun .It nice to visit Thunbeckfall in Laterbrunnen , visit upper valley of Murren . spend a day in Jungfraujoch and Grinderwald . Bern is worth for visit but geneva nothing so interested thing there.

by SatishHG Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I'll be there in the 1st week of April. Planning to do Zurich -> Lucerne -> Interlaken -> Zermatt -> Milan. A day at each place, moving from North to South, and travelling by train. From preliminary research, I've planned as follows.
    Zurich (Rhine Falls, Lindenhof, & Alstadt)
    Lucerne (Lake, & ??)
    Interlaken (Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen, Kleine Scheidegg)
    Zermatt (I believe TÄSCH–ZERMATT–TÄSCH train is good)
    I was told that the train ride from Interlaken to Murren (Eiger Pass) to Milan is awesome. I'm trying to incorporate these into the itinerary.

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Eiger is a mountain, not a pass. And it's not on the route from Interlaken to Milano...

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I would suggest you use www.sbb.ch to have an idea about the time it takes to get between those places. Your plan seems to asume instant transportation between places of interest. Unfortunately this has not yet been implemented in Switzerland.
    The Rhine Falls for example are generally considered a day trip from Zürich. Going up the Jungfraujoch will also consume a day. Then there is getting from one place to another, checking in to hotels etc...
    So have a look at the timetables first.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines