Interlaken Travel Answers

change location
MaheshSamtani's Profile Photo

2 Days in Interlaken

by MaheshSamtani Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I will be travelling to Interlaken for a couple of days from Zurich. I would appreciate tips on what to see, where to stay, an escape to Luzerne (probably), transport ( any cards that could be savers) etc., Dates - end of october. Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: 2 Days in Interlaken

by Agraichen Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I'd escape a bit further and head to Laterbruunen and tour the Jungfrau

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: 2 Days in Interlaken

by gary99 Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM

A few years ago we took the day trip up to Schillthorn, up the hill from Interlaken. It involved train,funicular, and cable cars. Great fun for a top of the mountain experience if you don't want to go all the way to Lucerne.
    Gary

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Lauterbrunnen is beautiful and only 20 minutes further on from Interlaken. Trains run very regularly (like twice an hour or more). Interlaken is still close enough to explore and this can be don on foot in an afternoon. There are two very lovely churches right next to each other, the river is lovely to just stand and watch. It's an amazing colour> Of course lots of nice cafes, bars etc. Lauterbrunnen on the other hand is a quiet little village that will make you feel that you've stepped into the pages of "Heidi". It is quite beyond description. I stayed there at the Hotel Schuetzen last month and can thoroughly recommend it. There are not many restaurants there but you can still eat in Interlaken if you so wish. I also loved Wengen and Grindelwald which are both also on the way to the Jungfrau from Interlaken. Both have the most amazing views and also have plenty of hotels and lovely little restaurants and shops. The trouble with Switzerland is that you don't know where to start and where to stop, it is the most breathtaking country and I for one can't wait to get back. Have a wonderful time!

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Oct 10, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Instead of staying at Interlaken proper,it would be good if you could stay at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.Do take a look at my pages.You should visit the villages of Wengen and Murren too.Though Jungfrau is a much sought after place,I felt it is too crowded and overrated.Also vist the Trummelbach falls.
    Have a good trip

• kathymay1's Profile Photo

by kathymay1 Online Now Nov 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

We stay in Interlaken almost every year and never get tired of it. There are so many things that you can do so take your pick. Rent a bike at West station and ride out to the Thunersee. If you cross the tracks and stay on that main road as it curves to the left and goes out of town all the way to the swimming beach. From there follow path along the water that will lead you to a bridge to your right to cross and then go left on the path back into town. If you skip the bridge the path in front of you will also take you back into town and you will end near the station on one side or the other of the river.

We really enjoy lunch in Murren if weather is good. Eat outside a enjoy the mountain views. When you leave the station walk up the hill to your left and you'll go right up into town all the views are on the left side up there.

The funicular called Harder Kulm is a nice ride and a good place for lunch or desert at the top. You can see town, both lakes and all the mountains.

We really enjoy walking along the rivers anywhere in town. Hope you love the area as much as we do.

• MaheshSamtani's Profile Photo

2 Days in Interlaken

by MaheshSamtani Online Now Nov 2, 2009 at 11:35 PM

My thanks to all of you for the tips., I am just back from our trip and we did have a great time. We stayed in Interlaken and did visit places like Wengen &
    Lauterbrunnen. The weather was fantastic. I hope to be posting my experiences and some pictures soon.
    Best regards from Valencia
    Mahesh

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 8:35 AM

hi mahesh,
    good to know that you had a good time.will look foward to your pages.keep me posted when you add your pages,
    regards from India

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines