Interlaken Travel Answers

change location
annas223's Profile Photo

what is the best way to travel in interlaken?

by annas223 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

i'm thinking of going there with train, but both of my friend who had been there suggest me to go by car, since i can stop along the way, where the view is beautiful. any suggestion?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: what is the best way to travel in interlaken?

by globetrott Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

this depends where you come from, but if you have a car, take it !
    when you drive from Thun or spiez you will have a great view but hardly any place to park your car on the way to interlaken !

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

From your profile it appears you are coming from Germany. I think what you might want to consider is what you want to visit along the way. If you take a train you can obviously get some type of weekly or monthly pass and stop at various points along the way. From your stops you obviously can visit areas within a couple of kilometers of the train station. You will be tied to the train schedules, but you also be able to view the scenery around you better.

Is Interlaken your final destination or do you want to go farther into the mountains from there. My wife and I (from the United States) did not have a car and took a train into Switzerland from Paris. We ended up staying 3 nights in the Lauterbrunnen area (a 20 minute train ride from Interlaken). From there we took cable cars and trains into the surrounding mountains.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: what is the best way to travel in interlaken?

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

If you travel by car you can indeed stop along the way to enjoy the view. However when travelling by trains you don't have to stop. You enjoy the view while moving.
    Don't forget that you will have to buy a freeway sticker, and that free parking is scarce in Switzerland, so it might end up being a lot more expensive than coming by train.
    If you are indeed coming from Germany you might be able to get some cheap tickets from where you are to Interlaken for 49 or 59 euro.

by nob-in Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM

If to travel by train, then would suggest to take a Zentralbahn train from Lucerne to Interlaken, that way it's much more picturesque compared to more usual Spiez-Interlaken route

• kathymay1's Profile Photo

by kathymay1 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

You might want to keep in mind that if you stay in Interlaken you are often provided a free bus pass along with the cost of lodging. We have always found the buses very handy.

by globetrott Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I have never heared of such a bus, but if that still is available for local guests it will be just a bus INside of interlaken and nowhere else.

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 7:20 AM

There are of course buses linking Interlaken with surrounding places. However, what is unheard of in Switzerland is a "bus pass". In Switzerland many regional public transport passes exist, but as public transport is integrated these passes are never specific for a particular mode.
    When you stay in a hotel in Interlaken you get a "Guest Card". This card entitles you to a lot of reductions for transport and attractions, and does indeed allow you unlimited travel on public transport with Interlaken. Any public transport, so catching a train from Interlaken Ost to West is allowed.

by globetrott Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM

something that I remember to have seen in the low seasons is a "package" that you get when booking certain hotels and you get a ticket for the trains of the Jungfrau-region for some days included in that package. But that applies only for the lowest seasons and a restricted time.

by globetrott Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM

and such a packet can be booked only through the tourist-office and never in a hotel directely or through an internet-platform like venere etc.

• kathymay1's Profile Photo

by kathymay1 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Dear All,
    Sorry to have confused the issue. I was refering to the guest card mentioned above. We usually had a Swiss rail pass and used the buses in the area to get back to home base (we stay in Unterseen) when we were either tired or were carrying groceries. Very handy when you are using a flexipass and don't want to spend a day from it. It is also handy if you are in a hurry to get to another form of transport when a last minute decision is made to make a trip up to Murren for lunch or whatever.
    We did rent a car one time and while we got to a few locations we'd not seen before, it was a pain in the neck to find and pay for parking for almost every stop. I live in the midwest and public transit is so rare here that I relish it in Europe!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines