How is life on Inishmore?

by Seamus7 Online Now Nov 22, 2004 at 8:54 AM

How is life on Inishmore?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: How is life on Inishmore?

by globetrott Online Now Nov 23, 2004 at 12:09 PM

it is pretty rough and plenty of big stones in your cabbage-garden behind the house.... In summer it is full of crazy tourists and all of them head the same way to the old stone-fort and back again to the port, do some shopping and leave again. when the tourist-boats are gone in the late afternoon Inishmore will be a really peacful place

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: How is life on Inishmore?

by Seamus7 Online Now Nov 23, 2004 at 1:10 PM

It seems you have been there for more time than the few hours the 'crazy tourists' are there, to go to the fort Dun Aengus. Did you actually live there? To grow cole behind a house there, you have to work hard, I suppose.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Nov 23, 2004 at 3:09 PM

I have been there just for 1 day, just a crazy tourist as well. But I saw an old and rather famous film : the "men of Aran" and there they show, how the wifes of the fishermen collected the sea-weed at the coast and put it into their gardens in order to get a least some sort of a fertile soil. Connemara is just a few miles away, on the mainland and that would be a place I would like to spend some years.

by Seamus7 Online Now Nov 24, 2004 at 4:29 AM

Connemara is beautifull. I was on Inishmore 5 times and stayed there most of the times for a week. So I'm another kind of crazy tourist. I would like to live there in winter, but...

• Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

by Jennyjump79 Online Now Nov 24, 2004 at 11:50 AM

I can't comment of daily life there, but I can tell you how great it is to take a trip there. I was there two weeks ago, and I definitely recommend going off-season. The weather was still mild (although very wet) and the people who are still there in November (mix of gap-year travellers, long-term visitors, Irish weekend tourists and locals) were a lot of fun and probably more laid-back than the summer crowd. Some restaurants and shops may be closed for the season, but you'll still be able to rent a bike, visit Dun Aengus and most of the ancient churches, do a horse-cart tour (if that's your thing) and visit the woollens shops. November really gives you an idea of the harshness of the island and also it's remoteness. There is nothing like standing alone at Dun Aengus, with not another human being in sight. A final bonus of a November visit: chance to try hot whiskeys and Irish coffees around a roaring fireplace after a long day outdoors!

by Seamus7 Online Now Nov 25, 2004 at 6:43 PM

You are absolutely right, Jennyjump! Thanks for your reaction.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines