Indonesia Travel Answers

change location
JulieHassing's Profile Photo

Bali - Sulawesi - Borneo

by JulieHassing Online Now Mar 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Hello,
me and my friend are going to Bali in August and are planning on taking a ferry to sulawesi, and then another ferry to Borneo. Two weeks in Bali, two weeks in sulawesi and two weeks in Borneo.
Can anyone tell us about the ferry rides? How easy is it to take a ferry from the various places, and how long will it take? We read that pirates are very frequent in Indonesia. Is it safe?
Thank You for Your help!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • sukalejong's Profile Photo

Re: Bali - Sulawesi - Borneo

by sukalejong Online Now Mar 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Hi,
    boat journey can be done with Pelni boat. Pelni is the name of government passenger ship company who operate sea transportation, and we in Indonesia not calling it ferry because another company run the ferry operation and called ASDP. Their service is channel crossing. OK, that's for your information. This is the link if you want to know about sea transportation in Indonesia balitouring.com/link/index2....

However, I just wondering why do you want a sea journey instead of flying? Because flying in Indonesia nowadays cost the same price as sea trip or land trip. In your case, it will be easier too because you don't have to match your journey plan with boat schedule (this is the link to Pelni ship schedule pelni.co.id/scheduleresult.p.... Moreover, to take a ship to Sulawesi, you have to go to Surabaya since ship to Sulawesi not come to Bali sea port.

Flying in Indonesia maybe is not as good as in Europe or US, but it meets Asian standard. Maybe our flight is often late due to our airport is so old so they are overwhelmed with the increasing number of air flight.

I hope this will help you to plan your trip

Cheers

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I also suggest about plane instead of boat, beside Bali to Sulawesi it's a long trip.
    while you're there I suggest to visit also Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park
    about Sulawesi you may go also to Toraja but I do not raccomend to cross Sulawesi on land from north to south, or viceversa, get a plane from/to Makassar to/from Manado.
    If you were scuba divers there are many places in North Sulawesi and Togian.
    Also, if you were scuba divers, do not miss Sipadan [Malaysia] while going to Borneo, but keep at end otherwise you won't like so much any other dives.

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

by Daihappydai Online Now Mar 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I would have to agree with the last two replies - take a flight, especially the Bali - Sulawesi leg. If you really want to experience Pelni, you could do the Sulwesii - Borneo leg. There are a coupe of ferries that travel from Sulawesi to Balikpapan - they are infrequent, weekly or fortnightly depending on how big their route is. And, as already mentioned, it is difficult to get a 'firm' copy of the schedule more than a month ahead, so at times ferry transport is hard to fit into tight tourist scehdules.
    I have been to Sulawesi twice in recent years and really love it. There are quite a number of tips on various Sulawesi travel pages on VT, but whatever you do, I highly recommend several days in Tana Toraja/Rantepeo. Traditions/culture are totally different to other parts of Indonesia and there are many easily accessible sights.
    If you are into snorkelling or diving, the Togean Islands are great but hard to get to - travel times overland in Sulawesi require a lot of patience.
    An alternate diving/snorkelling spot is Pulau Bunaken in the north, just off the coast from Manado. If you do travel to the north, take the time to go to Tangkoko National Park/Batu Putih to see the tarsiers - an incredible experience.
    Back to transport - there are several flights a day from Denpasar/Bali to Makassar/Sulawesi and if you book in advance they are relatively inexpensive. I've flown Bali - Makassar on Lion Air three times in the last five years and haven't had a problem. Makassar to Toraja is an eight hour bus trip - usually overnight, good buses. If you decided to head north, I'd return to Makassar and take another flight to Manado rather than trying to reach Manado overland. Alternatively, it is possible to go by public transport from Rantepeo to Ampana, catch a ferry to the Togeans, a ferry onward to Gorontalo and then bus north to Manado - lots of travel time but the Togeans, especially outside the resorts are beautiful.
    I haven't had the good fortune to get to Kalimantan yet, so I can't help you there.
    Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

• JulieHassing's Profile Photo

by JulieHassing Online Now Mar 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Thank You all for Your help!

If we choose to go by plane, can we wait booking the planes untill we get there?

And also: Can anyone recommend some cities in Bali that are nice to stay in? We want to stay somewhere where we can party and stay at the beach at first. Wich city would You recommend?

• DennyP's Profile Photo

by DennyP Online Now Mar 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Lovina in the north of Bali is a great little town by the beach for a place to chill...The beaches are clean the accomodation is varied and inexpensive..Some tourists but nothing like the south...plenty of good restuarants..and easy to get to.(please checkout my pages on Bali and Lovina- Singajara...enjoy your stay..

• Re: Bali - Sulawesi - Borneo

by wentbytrain Online Now Mar 22, 2012 at 3:43 AM

re plane booking: yes, of course-it is still quite common to treat them as a bus; go to aiprot and buy ticket. BUT: nowadays Indo is also slowly changing ovet to the well known concept of budget flights-the earlier you book-the lower the price-but many of such airlis are VERY hard to even access from out of Indo and do not take foreign (for them) cards. AirAsia is very limited in schedule here. Also check LIONair and the national carrier Garuda-not the cheapest. Local agnets know far better who flies where (as there are many changes every day) and also know some ways to gain better fares-pay cash there.
    These PELNI boats are slowly dying-they all do 2-week circuits, but on busir routes, tehre will be more as 1 circuit- but still not daily.
    Indo is firmly 3d world-and westerners MUST realise that this means much more risk as they are used to-in about anything. After all you wanted tp escape the nanny state you now live in.

• sukalejong's Profile Photo

by sukalejong Online Now Mar 23, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Hi,
    check these links to get the picture of air flight ticket price, so you can make a better plan.
    Garuda Indonesia http://www.garuda-indonesia.com/
    Lion Air www2.lionair.co.id/Default.a...
    some travel agents website:
    Vayatour: http://www.vayatour.com/index.php
    Dwidaya: http://dwidayatravel.com/

I suggest to wait until you arrive in Bali, and check it at some travel agents.
    Enjoy planning!

Cheers

• revivals's Profile Photo

by revivals Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

hi lot of beautiful place to visit in bali and you can ask for others hidden beach the have really pure nature less tourist and really awsome place. for party you can visit kuta or seminyak

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Indonesia Travel Answer Locations