Indonesia Travel Answers

change location
AlbaV's Profile Photo

Where to go for a clinical exchange??

by AlbaV Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Hi! I'm a medicine student and I'm going to be at Indonesia for one month in the summer, I have many options to choose and I don't know wich place will be better for me. I'm a spanish young girl who likes to discover other cultures, prefers big cities (but I think Jakarta is maybe too big and chaotic), do shopping, make friends, visit interesting things, art, love photography...

My cities are:
Banda Aceh, Universitas Syiah Kuala
Bandung, Universitas Padjadjaran
Jakarta, Universitas Indonesia
Malang, Universitas Brawijaya
Padang, Unversitas Andalas
Riau, Universitas Riau
Semarang, Universitas Islam Sultan Agung
Surabaya, Universitas Airlangga
Surakarta, Universitas Sebelas Maret
Tangerang, Universitas Pelita Harapan
Universitas Islam Negeri Syarif Hidayatullah
Yogyakarta, Universitas Gadjah Mada
Yogyakarta, Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta

Thank you very much for your attention!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • theo1006's Profile Photo

Re: Where to go for a clinical exchange??

by theo1006 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Hello Alba,
    I am not sure what your intention is with "clinical exchange", as you will be coming on a tourist visa. People here are easy-going and you will find it easy to make acquaintance with students and some staff on campus; and have an informal peek around. But for any serious acadamic activities you would need to come on a cultural visa. Perhaps on a first visit you can find a host willing to invite you for a cultural visit.
    Having said that, I think your best choice is Yogyakarta. This is a cultural centre where people are accustomed to communicate with all kinds of foreign visitors, And there is much to do as regards shopping, art, interesting sites.
    Of the two Universities you mention, Gajah Mada is state-owned and the most famous. Whereas Muhammadiyah is of muslim signature.
    Theo

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I would also choose Yogyakarta as there are many places to visit in the surrounding area such as Borobudur, Pramberan (not sure if i spelled it correctly). There are many museums, temples and art galleries to visit as well as courses in batik, yoga.
    My second choice would be Padang on the west coast of Sumatra, famous for its food. From there you could visit Bungus Bay, the Metawai islands, Bukittinggi, Kerinci Seblat park.

• cokes's Profile Photo

by cokes Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I would agree with the rest of the Answer here as Yogyakarta is the cultural capital of Indonesia. Lots to see and do there and they have a rich history there from the Temples and checking out the Sultans old palace to shopping for some Batik. Love the atmosphere there in Malioboro drive ,taking the horse and cart or rickshaw in the city. The people there is very nice and friendly.

The train ride in Ambarawa Railway Museum is also a really fantastic way to see rural Indonesia as the train rides through the rice fields ,villages and pass by some lake where people is working making fertilizer and farming mussels from the lake with Mount Merapi in the back ground

• tanamay's Profile Photo

by tanamay Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Go for Yogyakarta.
    It is considered to be center of education for its numerous universities.
    Center of Javanese culture.
    Big city but not as chaotic as Jakarta.
    Shopping - try Malioboro Street especially at night.
    Lots of interesting things around - Kraton, Borobudur, Prambanan.
    Photography - Borobudur, Prambanan.

• Ubudian's Profile Photo

by Ubudian Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM

No question, Gadjah Mada in Yogyakarta should be your first choice. It is the top rated medical school in Indonesia and has been for a long time. Second choice, Padjadjaran in Bandung, western Java. Bandung is as much a “college town” as is Yogyakarta and the area is awesomely beautiful as well as enjoying a far more pleasant climate than Yogyakarta.

No worries about needing a social visa here anymore. For a one month stay you could come here on a visa on arrival…good for 30 days and renewable at any immigration office for another 30 days.

• meiyergani's Profile Photo

by meiyergani Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Hi Alba....one month is long enough ....it would be better if visit three locations ....first you'd better go to Banda Aceh, Universitas Syiah Kuala for your first week, they have a good academic experience in Natural Dissaster Medicine in Reliefing Tsunami victim which happened in Banda Aceh in December 2004, then Padang-West Sumatra, Unversitas Andalas with nice view of beach, mountain and culture and the rest Yogyakarta, Universitas Gadjah Mada....it would be better if you could contact each of University officially...Regard from Gani Bogor

• Re: Where to go for a clinical exchange??

by ChrisPatton Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 4:45 AM

If you'd like to avoid the true mess of Jakarta, but stay close to the capital, it sounds like UPH in Tangerang might be your best bet. UPH is a very highly regarded university located in Karawaci, a very nice suburb. It's about an hour or so away from Jakarta city centre, and has everything you need to be happy. Good luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Indonesia Travel Answer Locations