India Travel Answers

change location
lucy321's Profile Photo

trekking in Ladakh

by lucy321 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Hello! I'm going to Leh for the first two weeks of September. I'll be acclimatising for 3 or 4 days and then want to do some trekking. What do people think about the pros and cons of booking ahead with a company (e.g. Ladakhi Women's Travel Company) or just waiting until I get there? Any comments on the arranging side of things at all? I'll be a solo traveler.

Also, in Leh I had planned to stay in a hotel but now I'm thinking about staying in a guest house because some of the guest houses sound lovely and also interesting (again, going by reviews). Would anyone like to share a quick comment about their experiences staying in Leh?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: trekking in Ladakh

by davidjo Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM

You should find it cheaper to book with a trekking agency once you are there, and yes, stay in the guest houses as some are exceptionally nice with good ambiance, friendly hosts and great places to meet other people.
    Check VT destinations and hotel section for recommendations.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM

1. Book ahead with a company of your choice. You can then check out who your fellow trekkers will be.

2. By September, it will start getting cold. Had been there in mid-Sep., 2 years ago.

3. Guest Houses will definitely be cheaper than hotels. We had stayed in our colleague's Mess.

4. As a solo female traveller you may need to take more than necessary precautions. Do let the FRRO (Foreigners' Registration Regional Officer) know the full details of your itinerary and let everyone in your group know that you have given him/her your complete itinerary. The FRRO is the local police chief.

3 members found this helpful

• aadil's Profile Photo

by aadil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM

It will almost be off season by the time you are there in September so many places start to shut down by then. Book a hotel for your first couple of nights and then see the guest houses once you are there and then decide which one you wish to stay in. The agency you mention is supposed to be fine but is a bit high priced. Compare some others before you book a trek with them once you get there. Check if they also have other women trekkers and guides when you are going. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Aadil.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

by goutammitra Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Please follow the advice given by Anil Pradhan and David. No booking is necessary as when you book they will be asking a card rate. There are a lot of trekking/ travelling agencies there , who are just waiting for new guests. Since , you will be acclimatising for a few days , you will have time to find out with the trek organisers, who will be your co-trekkers and where all they will be going! Please find out all details and then book. May be your hostel/ guest house can guide you better. Please also buy a local SIM for your phone, in case of emergency , you can at least make a call but in Ladakh getting signal outside Leh is also a problem.

Please try to see the registration list, who will be your fellow for next few days. Don't worry, you will get many like minded people.

• Jramakrishna15's Profile Photo

by Jramakrishna15 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM

you can go for a booking with agents , please refer makemytrip.com, yatra.com.
    In addition you can see some of online news papers like hindustan times delhi edition etc where much clasiffieds are available for better info.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular India Travel Answer Locations