India Travel Answers

change location

The Jains

by owl999 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Where is in India we can find small town/village, easily accessible by flight from KL/Singapore to see the lives of Jain community, see their temples, worships, rituals in feeding the monks, taste their food, etc?
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • adx's Profile Photo

Re: The Jains

by adx Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM

pilgrimagetourtoindia.com/ja...

If you tell me which part of India you want to visit Jain temple, I can help u with.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mehulraj's Profile Photo

by mehulraj Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Jains are basically you will find in two states of india..i.e Rajasthan and Gujarat. I prefer to visit Rajasthan to have rich culture of their life but Rajasthan will be too touristy for this kind of travel. Gujarat will be ideal choice here as far as I am concerned as you want to see lives of jain community and in gujarat place called "Palitana" is ideal choice

Rajasthan is easily accessible by flights if you fly to mumbai or delhi. in case of gujarat you have to travel a bit to get to the above said place.

their monks live in temple or separate facility provided by their community..you wont be allowed during worship hours of monk as far as remember..you are allowed in temple but not in monks place..they dont eat potato,onion,milk, they are vegetarian of different kind. I hope you know these things as their food is very simple and these monks dont cook!!!!!!

I have lot of jain friends but they like closed community its really difficult to get so close to them if you are not from their community..I found it really difficult even living in gujarat for 23 years. But there are educated people too,lil or more conservative too..I hope you will better suggestion from VT members too about their experience

1 member found this helpful

• Re: The Jains

by owl999 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM

What I look for is small town/village where majority are Jains (digambaras and shwetambaras) so I can see their local lives, their daily rituals and worships, nuns and monks, the food. Not temples and pilgrimage sites.

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I totally agree with Mehulraj, Rajasthan and Gujarat are the cities where you can find them. I went to a Jain Temple near India Habitat center in Delhi and found many staunch Jains visiting the temple there. Ranakpur in Pali district of Rajasthan in my opinion is a good choice to visit.
    Hope this helps,

by mehulraj Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

ok understood in that case I suggest you visit these major "touristy" place and you can join group of monks during their travel so that you will have better insight of their culture..but it will be really difficult task..first to get accepted by them to allow you to join them and then they dont use any vehicle or any other transportation mode to go to any places ..they just walk during their entire life...

or you can ask suggestion from monk too..may be they help..if you are destined for something great....

I am not getting other ideas here...

by owl999 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Thank you for your answers... Seems a bit difficult for a foreigner and non-Jain like me to see how their religious lives are... I didn't find any difficulty in Buddhist and Hindu community.

by mehulraj Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I cant say its difficult..I never tried it even though I was living between them for so many years..thanks for you input here may be I will try you idea sometime in future..and dont give up I am sure you will find sth if you give it a try...we are just suggesting here without knowing the out put of your effort you are going to put in...just thoughts...
    and enjoy india..Jains are great people,great businessman...

by mehulraj Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I suggest you should go ahead..I read their books even my mom contributed writting one of their religions book..few monks are extraordinary educated..I am sure you will get help..and if you get success then please do update your experience on VT so that fellow members will get sth new experience..

by owl999 Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM

@Mehulraj:
    So what place do you suggest for what I am looking for? Can we see both sect there, digambara and shvetambara?

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM

vpas wrote:
    I totally agree with Mehulraj, Rajasthan and Gujarat are the cities where you can find them. I went to a Jain Temple near India Habitat center in Delhi and found many staunch Jains visiting the temple there. Ranakpur in Pali district of Rajasthan in my opinion is a good choice to visit. Hope this helps,

Vpas- I totally agree about Ranakpur. When we visited there the town seemed filled with Jains,   Easiest way to get there from Singapore is to fly to either Delhi or Udaipur, preferably Udaipur. Ranakpur is not far from Udaipur. 

by mehulraj Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I have never been to Rajasthan so I dont want to talk about it here. I prefer to go to Palitana in Gujarat state..here I am adding on of the website which has its office in Mumbai, you can mail them they may arrange accomodation for you if everything goes fine..its like a hotel or guesthouse where you will find only jain community people..so I hope you will have better insight of their life..if they allow you to stay with them..just contact them and I hope sth positive comes up for you,

jaindharmashala.com/contact-...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular India Travel Answer Locations