India Travel Answers

change location

Traveling alone in India, in search of tips and companion!

by mariasundq Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Hi, I'm planning a trip to northern India in may (I know, the hottest month) and am wondering if anyone has any useful tips to share? I'm flying from Colombo to New Delhi on the 6th of may and am planning to visit Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur, Mumbai and then northern Goa. Since I'm a fairly young girl, 25, traveling alone in India for the first time I'm a bit worried, especially about visiting the larger cities. Any parts of New Delhi or Mumbai that should be avoided? All tips are welcome!

Also, if you too are traveling in India around this time, please feel free to contact me and maybe we can meet up somewhere, share a train ride etc.!

Thanks!
Maria

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling alone in India, in search of tips and companion!

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Firstly- I think that travelling in India in May is a VERY bad idea. Especially since a) its your first visit b) you are travelling alone
    There are no specific parts of thise cities to avoid- usual precautions should be observed.
    I travel in India (alone) and avoid dark alleys at night, avoid engaging conversation with strangers etc etc.
    I recommend that you read my India travel page...........there are a number of useful links. Just click on links for info

"Reflections of an Unapologetic Indiophile" - India by lynnehamman

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

By the way, Rajasthan and Mumbai get even hotter than Delhi

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Perhaps you should head up to Himachal Pradesh to the mountainous area as the weather will be cooler and there are lots of places to see, such as Kullu Valley, Manikaran, Parvati Valley, Shimla, Dharamsala, Manali. Great if you like nature.

If you are going to Rajastan i would also take time to visit the desert fortress of Jaisalmir, a magnificent place to visit with wonderful architecture and you can even find guest houses inside the fort. Udaipur and Jaipur are well worth visiting but the huge cities of Mumbai and Delhi are not for me. And it does get extremely hot at that time of the year.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Oh, and if you are travelling by train don't even think about travelling 3rd class!!!
    Second Class a/c is the way i traveled when i was in India. As for safety i am sure you will get wonderful information from Lynne who is the Indian Travel Expert, particularly helpful for female travelers!!!

• Re: Traveling alone in India, in search of tips and companion!

by ukinsurance Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Well hats off to you, choosing to visit warmer parts of India during summer. Instead you should be heading towards Himachal Pradesh, Utarakhand, Coorg and Munnar.

You should be very cautious in Delhi, as it is not safe for girls, Mumbai is relatively lot safer.

Though I would advice you to give the places you mentioned a skip, as it is going to be very hot and you are going to regret.

• Re: Traveling alone in India, in search of tips and companion!

by mariasundq Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

lynnehamman wrote:

Firstly- I think that travelling in India in May is a VERY bad idea. Especially since a) its your first visit b) you are travelling alone There are no specific parts of thise cities to avoid- usual precautions should be observed. I travel in India (alone) and avoid dark alleys at night, avoid engaging conversation with strangers etc etc. I recommend that you read my India travel page...........there are a number of useful links. Just click on links for info

"Reflections of an Unapologetic Indiophile" - India by lynnehamman

Thank you all for your thoughts and tips!

There seems to be a big consensus on me not going to India in may... Maybe I should skip India or change my travel route - the only thing is that I'll be working in Sri Lanka march, april, and june so may is the only time possible for me to go there and it has been a dream for a very long time.

However, lynnehamman, when you say that visiting India in may for me would be a VERY bad idea is this mainly due to the weather, the hot temperatures and the resulting lack of tourists? Thank you again. 

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Lol David- not exactly the Travel Expert- but I agree about travelling 2nd air-con. it's the only way to go

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Hi - yes India will be hot, hot, hot in May, especially Mumbai and Goa. Goa's season is only Oct-March so a lot of it will be closed up - the markets, beach shacks, etc. Mumbai is considered one of the safest cities in India for women (it was just voted #1). That's not to say you won't have any annoyances or hassles, but it's much better than Delhi, which is THE worst city for women (even Indian women). Please see my warning tips (members.virtualtourist.com/m.... I've lived in both Mumbai and Goa and have been to Jaipur and Agra if you'd like to take a look at my pages. Plenty of info of where to go/what to do. If possible, I would reconsider the time of year though. It's really difficult (read: not fun) to travel in the heat (in Goa you just don't go out at least between 12-4) or the monsoon!

By the way, a great site to find travel partners for India is indiamike.com (indiamike.com/india/india-tr.... There ARE people who travel to India that time of year just because that's the only time they can go so you won't be alone!

• Jramakrishna15's Profile Photo

by Jramakrishna15 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:43 AM

See until you are in good comfort place , can travel in South places like Andman etc alone without any difficulty including Goa . I would suggest to go for a shadow place like forest region type to get more enjoy - simply Havelock. Can go for diving , fress food , no pollution and good people.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular India Travel Answer Locations