India Travel Answers

change location

Rishikesh -> Shimla -> Dharam Sala / Mcleod Ganj -> Leh itinerary

by simontalbot Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Looking for some advice on how to travel from city to city. From Delhi to Rishikesh or Shimla is fairly easy, but how would you suggest linking up Rishikesh, Shimla, Dharam Sala / Mcleod Ganj and Leh ?

Looking ideally for the best cost / time ratio.

Thanks !

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Rishikesh -> Shimla -> Dharam Sala / Mcleod Ganj -> Leh itinerary

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Hi - the MustSeeIndia site is really good for comparing the various modes of transportation. For example see - mustseeindia.com/how-to-reac.... Once you decide on the mode (based on time it takes from one point to another), then you can check the prices.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

You failed to mention if you are returning to Delhi or some other destination after your visit to the north. This could determine the route you take. There is no easy way but i would head to Rishikesh first, then get to Dehra Dun via Hardiwar by bus. From Dehra Dun there are buses to Shimla. From Shimla there are buses to Mcleod Ganj/Dharammsala and from there there are buses to Manali where you can catch a bus to Leh.
    I suggest you buy a cheap air ticket to return to Delhi to avoid the long uncomfortable bus ride.

• milosstojanovic's Profile Photo

by milosstojanovic Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Hello. I read a great article related to Dharam Sala and traveling through various places in India so here it is: backpackingtravelpages.com/?...">backpackingtravelpages.com/?...
    I hope I helped you make a decision :)

• Re: Rishikesh -> Shimla -> Dharam Sala / Mcleod Ganj -> Leh itinerary

by viewtheworld Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Bookmarked :-)

• Re: Rishikesh -> Shimla -> Dharam Sala / Mcleod Ganj -> Leh itinerary

by oldbones Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Hello, we did a similar trip a couple of years ago, we went from Rishikesh to Shimla by private car and driver hired from memory from an adventure tour shop, from Shimla we took the bus to Dharam Sala. Again by local taxi and driver to the train station on the plains to catch the train to Amritsar,not a direct journey but we found it an interesting trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular India Travel Answer Locations