Independant State of Samoa Travel Answers

change location
prrl's Profile Photo

What to take / not to take?

by prrl Online Now Jun 28, 2006 at 8:01 PM

I'm headed solo to Samoa in September '06. Is there anything I should be sure to have? Anything that people normally travel with that would be better left behind? I like to travel light but effectively.

PS Anyone want to share a car rental then??

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

RE: What to take / not to take?

by brotherleelove Online Now Jun 28, 2006 at 8:16 PM

More than likely your room will have a mosquito net, but I always take one anyway when travelling in the tropics. When I was in American Samoa I needed it and was extremely glad I had it. I made it by sewing several lengths of lightweight small-mesh fabric netting together to make a big square about 18x18 ft. sq. I took along some eye hooks and nylon twine to tie it off in my room over my bed. Saved me from being eaten alive. It only weighs a few ounces and compresses into practically nothing so it wasn't a space-waster in my bag. Also be sure to take along plenty of mosquito repellant. I make my own. I buy 2 1oz. bottles of 100% DEET at WalMart in the Sporting Goods section and mix it in a 8oz. squeeze bottle with 6oz. isopropyl alcohol to make 8oz. of a 25% solution. This lasts about a month. Wear white clothing, it's less attractive to the little buzzers. Don't sleep in an enclosed room with burning mosquito coils, they'll ruin your throat and make your eyes all puffy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • prrl's Profile Photo

RE: RE: What to take / not to take?

by prrl Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 4:05 PM

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Independant State of Samoa Travel Answer Locations