Independant State of Samoa Travel Answers

change location

buses

by snow-white Online Now Dec 7, 2005 at 2:35 PM

hi,
I will be in Samoa in Febuary and as a single female who doesnt drive- i just want to know if the buses are ok?
any other suggestions how to get the real samoan experience would be gratefully received!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bijo69's Profile Photo

RE: buses

by bijo69 Online Now Dec 8, 2005 at 5:03 AM

just a bookmark :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • eenelfje's Profile Photo

RE: RE: buses

by eenelfje Online Now Dec 8, 2005 at 4:38 PM

I travelled as a female alone too in Samoa in May this year.

The busses ARE the real Samoan experience and they are fine but dont run frequently. So take your time when taking a bus !! The busses are cheap and you pay when you get out. Just knock on the wood when you want to get out (if you dont know where just tell the busdriver, there is always a man "helping" him and he will tell you where to get off the bus.

But there are a few rules on the busses in Samoa.

The busses can be packed !

ALWAYS stand up for an elderly person.
    The Samoans sit on each others lap to fit in everybody
    Also when schoolchildren are coming in the bus its normal to take a kid on their lap.

They wont sit on your lap automaticly as the Samoans do amongs theirselves because you are a tourist but dont be surprised if a Samoan woman says its ok to sit on her lap its normal. And for the schoolkids just tell him or her its ok to sit on your lap and they will gladly do it. You will see how much the Samoans appreciate your gesture !

Its a fun but timeconsuming way of travelling and perfectly safe.

Actually Samoa is very safe for a woman travelling alone !

For a real Samoan experience.

Stay in Seipepa Travel Home in Apia, in the fales at Lalomanu Beach and the fales on Manase Beach on Savaii.

Rent a car on each island as you cannot get to all the sights by bus.
    A rental car for one day on each island is enough to see everything. But be aware....there are only gasstations in Apia and in Savaii near and in Salelolonga and Manase Beach.

You will love Samoa !!

• eenelfje's Profile Photo

RE: RE: buses

by eenelfje Online Now Dec 8, 2005 at 4:38 PM

I travelled as a female alone too in Samoa in May this year.

The busses ARE the real Samoan experience and they are fine but dont run frequently. So take your time when taking a bus !! The busses are cheap and you pay when you get out. Just knock on the wood when you want to get out (if you dont know where just tell the busdriver, there is always a man "helping" him and he will tell you where to get off the bus.

But there are a few rules on the busses in Samoa.

The busses can be packed !

ALWAYS stand up for an elderly person.
    The Samoans sit on each others lap to fit in everybody
    Also when schoolchildren are coming in the bus its normal to take a kid on their lap.

They wont sit on your lap automaticly as the Samoans do amongs theirselves because you are a tourist but dont be surprised if a Samoan woman says its ok to sit on her lap its normal. And for the schoolkids just tell him or her its ok to sit on your lap and they will gladly do it. You will see how much the Samoans appreciate your gesture !

Its a fun but timeconsuming way of travelling and perfectly safe.

Actually Samoa is very safe for a woman travelling alone !

For a real Samoan experience.

Stay in Seipepa Travel Home in Apia, in the fales at Lalomanu Beach and the fales on Manase Beach on Savaii.

Rent a car on each island as you cannot get to all the sights by bus.
    A rental car for one day on each island is enough to see everything. But be aware....there are only gasstations in Apia and in Savaii near and in Salelolonga and Manase Beach.

You will love Samoa !!

• ktthorn's Profile Photo

RE: buses

by ktthorn Online Now Dec 26, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Hi... I will be there as well in February.. I have been to Samoa 21x.. and have never gone on a bus..(lol).. Can't really tell you the reason .. other than they are a bit intimidating. Packed... like sardines.
    My friends have gone on the bus.. and laugh about their experiences.
    I find traveling in a taxi .. (which is not costly) the way to go.. if you are staying in or near town.

If you take the bus.. to the Alepata side of the island.. be sure to know where you are going.. and when the bus will come back

Go to my site to get tips on where to go.. and stay.

YOU MUST go to Savaii. .It's soooo beautiful. Regina's.. is a place where you can totally live like a Samoa.. and be safe.. and well cared for.

Call my friend Carol.. she is a local..a nd will guide you on where to go.. stay..eat..etc..

I will be there sometime after the 29th of Jan.. thru the 22nd.. because I am going there to sing at a Christian rally.

Have a great trip... CALL Carol once you get there... 777-1914. Tell her Kristin told you to call. God bless.. ktthorn@aol.com Kristin

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Independant State of Samoa Travel Answer Locations