Ilha Grande Travel Answers

change location
SheenB's Profile Photo

Small Wedding Ceremony in Ilha Grande

by SheenB Online Now Jul 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Does anyone know of anyone who is able perform my wedding ceremony in english on the island?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

Re: Small Wedding Ceremony in Ilha Grande

by bahiana77 Online Now Jul 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

What passport do you hold? What passport does your fiance hold? If you both have foreign passports, I don't think you will be able to marry in Brazil, the difficutly being the paperwork required. If your fiance is a Brazilian citizen, he should enquire at the cartorio where he intends to register the paperwork and the marriage, usually one near his residence. If he is Brazilian and thinks a cartorio may allow him to get married in another location, he should check with a cartorio in that location. Outside major cities, you are probably going to have a porblem finding a cartorio willing and able to do a ceremony in English. Most marriages (at least in larger cities with more demand) are in a cartorio, and in a large group of other couples getting married at the same time, and usually not many friends/family members attend. Perhaps if you pay enough, some cartorio functionary on Ilha Grande would do a ceremony when and where you want, but I wouldn't expect one in English. Or perhaps you could do the ceremony in the cartorio where you Brazilian fiance lives and do some sort of non-official/legal ceremony for your family and friends on Ilha Grande.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines