Ilha Grande Travel Answers

change location

Life on Ilha Grande- Feedback from those who live on this wonderful island !!!

by TorontoGirl11 Online Now Jan 11, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Hello Everyone,

After spending 11 years in Toronto, Canada i have decided that it is time for a change. A couple of my friends and i are thinking about taking a year off to travel and of course we would like to spend most to all of our time on Ilha Grande.
What are the possiblities of gaining work on the island ( if any)? When i was there in November i observed that there was ample accomodations so that shouldn't be a problem.
What i really want to know is there a possiblity of teaching english or attaining any sort of job on the island? I have decided to enroll myself into Portuguese classes up here to get a head start.
Please provide me your most honest feedback as i would like to know if my dream could become a reality.

Obrigada,
TG 11

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

RE: Life on Ilha Grande- Feedback from those who live on this wonderful island !!!

by bahiana77 Online Now Jan 13, 2007 at 5:00 AM

Honest feedback? OK. This question comes up frequently on various Brazil forums from naive travellers smitten with Brazil.

Brazil is a country with a huge problem of unemployment and under-employment of its own citizens. Those who can manage to get jobs are often happy to have them at the official minimum wage, which, by the way, is hardly enough to sustain life in a favela/slum. Many others don't even earn that minimum and do anything they can to get by. These include people with education, including those who speak a second language fluently and can teach it (and explain the grammar). Also an official work visa for a gringo/a costs the employer lots of money to procure. So employing a local is cheaper and easier.
    Under these conditions, why would anyone choose to employ you?

If you decide to go, take enough money to sustain yourself for the full time you intend to be there. Perhaps after some time, when you make local connections, you may be able to supplement this by teaching a private English class or two,--- if you are fluent, can explain grammar and have teaching skills.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Life on Ilha Grande- Feedback from those who live on this wonderful island !!!

by anthea-ib Online Now Aug 28, 2009 at 11:40 PM

I am a new graduate SCUBA instructor and I was wondering if these unemployment issues also effect the amount of foriegners hired in tourism possitions, such as diving.
    I was hoping to work in Ilha Grande as either a instructor, guide or underwater photographer. If anyone has any information concerning how to get in contact with Dive centers it would be a great help, as so far i can't seem to find any shop websites.
    I was lucky enough to go diving there while traveling in Brazil and I know that the internet is expensive on the island but I thought it would be a margeting disadvantage to not advertise on the World Wide Web! :D

Thanks

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines