Igoumenitsa Travel Answers

change location

Igoumenitsa to Athen bus/coach

by Georgia83 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Hi!
Will be travelling from igoumenitsa to Athens (return) in June and am hearing/reading lots of horror stories about the journey! Things like, the route takes you on very narrow mountain roads that have no barriers and huge drops, unsurfaced roads etc. The KTEL buses are said to be awful (no air-con, packed, dirty etc).

Its been suggested we get the ferry from igoumenitsa to patra but that would be a last resort as my friend suffers seasickness. Also, flying is out! (pretty awkward!)

Can anyone shed any light on the things I've heard (state of roads, KTEL or alternative company etc) I would be really greatful if so.

:)

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • mindcrime's Profile Photo

Re: Igoumenitsa to Athen bus/coach

by mindcrime Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

-buses are modern, clean and have air condition, from Patras you may even see a double decker bus.

-the roads are just ok but yes they are narrow on some parts (very scenic though) but have in mind that the route Patras-Athens isnt the best too with never ending constructions the last 3000 years...

-Greek drivers are as bad as most in the mediteranean area

-KTEL is the only option from Igumenitsa but you'll be fine, dont worry

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Igoumenitsa to Athen bus/coach

by Georgia83 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Thank you very much for your help. It is really appreciated. If the worst stretch is Patra to Athens , do you think taking the train on that bit might be a viable option?

by mindcrime Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

taking the train is unreliable these days in Greece and I dont think it will get better in June, there are lots of delays and several cancelations due to strikes.

Go with the bus and you'll be fine, it's not an excelent highway like the ones you see in Central Europe but still a good one in most part of it.

by Georgia83 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thank you :)
    I saw one bus that looked to go to Patras after Igoumenitsa, then went on to Athens, although someone has now informed me that the bus goes direct to Athens.... Dunno if that makes any difference route-wise (?)
    Anyway, it's got to be done so I'm just going to have to brave it either way :)

Lastly, any ideas if the KTEL can be booked in advance?

by mindcrime Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

there are also direct buses to Patras from Igoumenitsa but cant be sure if they continue to athens (I dont think so)

we usually go to the local KTEL offices and buy the tickets with no problem, a day before is just fine unless its high season for reason (day before the elections, easter etc). Some greeks make reservation by calling them and pick up the tickets an hour before the departure at the bus station.

so if you are at Igoumenitsa some days before just go there and buy the tickets to be on the safe side.

by Georgia83 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

We're travelling from Italy to igoumenitsa so will only get there the day of travel. I'll ring up in advance and book them; just to make sure :)

Thank you again for all your help :)

by Ouzone Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Just get the ferry from Italy to Patras, why fiddle about going to Igoumenitsa and all this fussing about buses.

The last bit from Igoumenitsa to Patras is the most sheltered bit of the journey anyway, and they are large ferries, so unlikely to get seasick.

The KTEL intercity buses are modern and comfortable and have been for sometime.

You must have read some very out of date guide books.

You can fly from Corfu to Athens, ferries Igoumenitsa to Corfu are about every hour and the airport is closeby.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM

As there has been many passengers that have taken the trip, myself included, I do not see the need to worry. Just leave the driving to them.

cheers tommy x

by Jay24 Online Now Nov 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

We travelled this road in May 2008. It was absolutely atrocious. I'm only on here to see if the promised (in three years) motorway has been built since. If you value your sanity, find another route. And as for doing the route by bus?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

by Jay24 Online Now Nov 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

The Monoan 'cruise' from Venice to Igoumenitsa was just wonderful.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Igoumenitsa