Ieper Travel Answers

change location

Need help getting to Ieper - have two options and need advice please

by christina.hunt Online Now Feb 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Hi, I have two options to visit Ieper and I need advice. First option is to go from London for a full day only (I.e. 5am-10pm etc). I will be in London for 4 days in May and thought about taking a full day to do this but come back late at night as I've already booked and paid for accom in London. Whats the best method of travel for a day trip - train/ fly??

Second option is to go from Brugge as this is the last stop of a tour I'm doing in June, but they can't guarantee what time we'll arrive in Brugge. I know there are trains to Ieper but i cant book anything until that day. I can stay overnight in Ieper however the next day I depart London at 4pm for New York and am worried about missing my flight if trains are delayed etc.

Advantage of the first option is theres no worry about my flight in June, however I would miss out on the last post in Ieper unless there's a super late train from Ieper to kortrijk to Lille to London etc ... And then the second option's advantage is I can stay overnight but don't know what time I'll get there on the day depending on my tour plus making sure I get on a train to be back in London by midday next day.

So confused and stuck on which option to take, please help! Thank you :)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Greggor58's Profile Photo

Re: Need help getting to Ieper - have two options and need advice please

by Greggor58 Online Now Feb 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

You've got a small dilemma...can you not change the outbound flight from London..to go to Ieper for a few hours is kind of sad because you simple need more time to experience what this small historical city offers.

Given that you'd be so close being in Brugge...Id roll the dice and train from there...its about an hour and a half rail journey if my memory serves me correctly.I think this is what I would do...but first Id try to change your flight from London and this problem disappears.

Here's a link for Belgian train if you haven't checked it out already..

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bartw's Profile Photo

Re: Need help getting to Ieper - have two options and need advice please

by bartw Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Hi Christina,

I think Bruges is your best bet.
    First of all, there is no need to book your transport from Bruges to Ieper in advance. Just get your tickets at Bruges station on the day of your trip.

There is an hourly connection between Bruges and Ieper, involving a change at Kortrijk. It works as follows :
    Brugge 10h32 - Kortrijk 11h12 (40 minutes)
    38 minutes waiting time
    Kortrijk 11h50 - Ieper 12h20 (30 minutes) (train to Poperinge)

... or at the same minutes past each hour throughout the day.

Depending on the time of day there are quicker possibilities combining train and bus, but the gain of 15 minutes are not worth the discomfort IMHO.

After your overnight in Ieper we need to get you back to London.
    However, you will have to let me know on what day this is because schedules vary a lot between weekdays, saturdays and sundays.

Kind regards,
    Bart

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines