Idaho Travel Answers

change location
Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Last minute trip - looking for suggestions?

by Camping_Girl Online Now Aug 4, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Hi everybody,

Well, I think my hubby's ex-wife is finally done ruining our summer vacation plans and, with that in mind, we are trying to plan a vacation (for the third time!) for the last 2 weeks of August.

We have made reservations at Farragut State Park for Aug 21 to 24, and will be visiting Silverwood during 2 of those days. The rest of vacation is still open and all suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

We will travel south into US at either Montana or Idaho crossing on August 20th. Will be in Farragut by late afternoon on the 21st, and have to be back in Canada (in either BC or Alberta) by Sept 1st or 2nd.

We have considered spending some time exploring in the Priest River and/or CDA areas, as well as possibly heading west into Washington. We want to spend at least 8 days south of the border, for our maximum duty-free allowances. (We will definitely spend at least one day in Sandpoint!)

We are outdoorsy sorts, travelling in our RV with our dog, and we will have 2- 13 year olds in tow, one boy & one girl. We love great scenery, friendly people, good food, moderate hikes (hubby is a trucker - can't make him walk too far!), unique places, shopping, camping, etc.....

I am also wondering about fire bans in the area. Our mountain areas are currently tinder-dry and most of eastern BC is on fire, so we have extreme fire restrictions right now. A lot of the provincial recreation areas are closed altogether. I like to do a lot of cooking over a fire, so I would like to know in advance whether that will be an option, since it will determine what type of foods I pack.

Thanks in advance for your time & input!

- CG

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • cottonwood's Profile Photo

Re: Last minute trip - looking for suggestions?

by cottonwood Online Now Aug 15, 2007 at 4:21 PM

CG, If you ever get on this trip, north idaho is great. Sandpoint is a fun town on a beautiful lake. A definite must. C'dl is also a great town on a very beautiful lake. If you do get to C'dl, I think they still do a fun river boat ride on the lake for both the lunch time hour and dinner timeish. I spent many summers there and saw it going all the time. Preist lake is also very nice. But if your hubby ain't a walker, then I won't recomend the hike to upper preist lake from lower. There's a great day hike to upper preist that is worth doing just to go up and have a picnic lunch and hike back. let your hubby decide that. As for fire burning, forget it, don't even think about it. I live in southern idaho and we are on fire every where around here. Fire restrictions are in affect I think for the whole state of Idaho. Now if you can go into eastern Washington state, Spokane is worth seeing, but the lakes of northern Idaho are more worth the stay than Spokane. Trust me, I grew up in Spokane. Don't forget Glacier park in Northwest Montana as an idea. hope this helps. elwood

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Idaho Travel Answer Locations