Idaho Travel Answers

change location
uk2usa's Profile Photo

Fly drive through Idaho

by uk2usa Online Now Jan 16, 2005 at 1:29 AM

Hi, I'm thinking ahead to the summer and have a very outline plan that takes in two famous roads that I have an ambition to drive along. This is just a pipe dream at the moment. I'd appreciate any comments on things to see around this route that any of you know about. Day 1 Fly into Salt Lake City (I can get reasonably good flight connections from the UK to there) Day 2 Drive up to Idaho Falls Day 3 Drive up to Yellowstone and overnight in West Yellowstone Day 4 Drive on the Bear Tooth Highway to Billings MT (Road 1) Day 5 See Custer Battlefield Monument Stay Billings Day 6 Drive to Great Falls MT Day 7 Drive the Going to the sun road through Glacier NP (Road 2) to Kalispell Day 8 Drive to Coeur d'Alene Day 9 Drive to New Meadows (See Hells Canyon ?) Day 10 Drive to Sun Valley Day 11 Drive to Salt Lake city I need to pad this out to 14 days. Is there anywhere en-route I should stay an extra night because there is a lot to see ? How long should I spend in SLC ? Any help will be much appreciated. This is mostly new territory to me (I've been to Yellowstone twice before, both times approaching from Denver through Wyoming). UK

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • JetlagCity's Profile Photo

Re: Fly drive through Idaho

by JetlagCity Online Now Jan 18, 2005 at 3:15 PM

Hi, You must really love driving! When you're in the Sun Valley area, I would recommend driving over Galena Summit to the little town of Stanley. The Sawtooth Mountains are there and they're just spectacular. I don't know if you're a hiker or not, but if you are, this is an awesome place to go hiking. If not, the scenery is still beautiful, and keep an eye open for herds of gazelles in the valleys by the road. Also, surely you would want to spend at least one or two days in Yellowstone National Park - it's such a huge park, you can hardly see it all in one day. Food for thought - have a great trip! Jane

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Idaho Travel Answer Locations