Iceland

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Samsung Lenses or Adapter + Compact Flash Cards

Iceland Dec 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Hello, I made a massive mistake and forgot a Nikon - Samsung NX adapter at home for my Samsung camera. I am currently in Iceland and I'm looking for someone that sells Samsung NX lenses or might have the adapter.

I do have a back up camera but it takes Compact Flash cards. Are there any retailers in Iceland that sell compact flash cards and memory card readers?

I greatly appreciate any help!

Jeremy

more
    • Iceland Car Hire with Sand and Ash Protection

Iceland Dec 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I'm off to Iceland in October, and one of the insurances available is sand and ash protection. In Iceland, they can have storms that will literally strip the paint off the car and that is what this covers. We're planning on travelling down the south coast to Vik and therefore feel this insurance is worthwhile. I've only found the Hertz.is website that quotes a price for it, and the base car hire price for the Icelandic website is significantly higher than prepaying on the UK one. Hertz itself is more expensive than some of the other options available. What I don't want to do is think I am saving money by booking in the UK only to stung on insurance when picking up the car.
      Has anyone booked car hire in Iceland and who did you go with? Any suggestions?
      Thanks.

more
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Suggestions.

Iceland Dec 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM

If I was to opt for a trip to Iceland, is it better to take a regular multi-day tour or can I put together a plan by basing myself in Reyjavek and take tours from there, which I have seen?

I am single and do not drive, so I cant simply rent a car.

more
    • AlfredoG3's Profile Photo

Thoughts / Suggestions / Additions to Itinerary

Iceland Dec 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Hi everyone!

I'll be in Iceland March 5-14, and I would LOVE some advice on our current rough itinerary :)

We're eager to see the lights (last time I came, I caught a very mild showing, and can't wait to hunt them down again)

There will be 6 of us, and we are planning on staying in Reykjavik between Mar 5-9 (Airbnb booked) and a vacation home near Lake Thingvallavatn Mar 10-14 (Vrbo booked).

Reykjavik - Fri-Mon

Fri-Sun - Explore and walk the city! Museums, food, nightlife, swimming pool

o Restaurants / Bars:
      o Hot Dogs
      o Fiskfelagid Fish Company or the Fiskmarkadurinn Fish Market (must try raw fish in Iceland!)
      o Microbar Beer Tasting
      o Dillon Whiskey Bar

Mon – Pick up car rentals, go to Blue Lagoon (45 minutes away)

Countryside – Tues-Sat

Tues – check into Selfoss Home

o Day: Open
      o Hot tub + chase Northern Lights

Wed – “Golden Circle Tour” (3 hours total drive)

o Selfoss Geyser
      o Thingvellir Tectonic Plates snorkeling?
      o Gullfoss Golden Waterfall *better when it’s sunny out – Snowmobile, Walk on glacier

Thurs – Free day

Fri – Vik and Ice Cave (6 hours total drive)

o 7 a.m. Leave for South Iceland tour!
      o Stop by Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, Black Sand Beach, on the way
      o 1:30 departure - Skaftafell Ice Cave (3 hours)
      o 5-6 p.m. – Eat and depart for Selfoss

Sat – Check out, return rental cars, fly home!

=

1. How does this look?
      2. Based on the current itinerary and the fact it's in March, should we rent a 4x4?
      3. Any suggestions on car hire places? I've heard nightmare stories from Sixt, but they're the cheapest!
      4. How are:

- Dog sledding
      - Snorkeling between tectonic plates
      - Superjeep
      - Snowmobiling

5. Any tips on hunting for the lights?
      6. Any other crazy random ideas?

Thank you so much :)

more

Car Rental from SIXT or CarsIceland.com

Iceland Dec 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hey guys,

Has anyone rented from SIXT before in Iceland?

I've heard mixed reviews, but they're exponentially cheaper than the rest of the agencies.

Cars Iceland -
      Vitara 4x4 w/ GPS for $489
      Duster 4x4 for $505.

SIXT -
      Chevy Trax w/ GPS for $400.
      Chevy Captiva w/ GPS for $458.

Both companies include unlimited mileage and winter tires.

I thought Sixt might be fly-by-night, but they actually have multiple locations worldwide. In fact, they have a location down the street from me here in New Jersey.

Thoughts please?

Thank you :)

Alf

more
    • Samsung Lenses or Adapter + Compact Flash Cards

Iceland Dec 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Hello, I made a massive mistake and forgot a Nikon - Samsung NX adapter at home for my Samsung camera. I am currently in Iceland and I'm looking for someone that sells Samsung NX lenses or might have the adapter.

I do have a back up camera but it takes Compact Flash cards. Are there any retailers in Iceland that sell compact flash cards and memory card readers?

I greatly appreciate any help!

Jeremy

4 Answers Dec 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM

Car Rental from SIXT or CarsIceland.com

Iceland Dec 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hey guys,

Has anyone rented from SIXT before in Iceland?

I've heard mixed reviews, but they're exponentially cheaper than the rest of the agencies.

Cars Iceland -
      Vitara 4x4 w/ GPS for $489
      Duster 4x4 for $505.

SIXT -
      Chevy Trax w/ GPS for $400.
      Chevy Captiva w/ GPS for $458.

Both companies include unlimited mileage and winter tires.

I thought Sixt might be fly-by-night, but they actually have multiple locations worldwide. In fact, they have a location down the street from me here in New Jersey.

Thoughts please?

Thank you :)

Alf

9 Answers Dec 12, 2014 at 3:48 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Suggestions.

Iceland Dec 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM

If I was to opt for a trip to Iceland, is it better to take a regular multi-day tour or can I put together a plan by basing myself in Reyjavek and take tours from there, which I have seen?

I am single and do not drive, so I cant simply rent a car.

5 Answers Dec 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Thoughts / Suggestions / Additions to Itinerary

Iceland Dec 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Hi everyone!

I'll be in Iceland March 5-14, and I would LOVE some advice on our current rough itinerary :)

We're eager to see the lights (last time I came, I caught a very mild showing, and can't wait to hunt them down again)

There will be 6 of us, and we are planning on staying in Reykjavik between Mar 5-9 (Airbnb booked) and a vacation home near Lake Thingvallavatn Mar 10-14 (Vrbo booked).

Reykjavik - Fri-Mon

Fri-Sun - Explore and walk the city! Museums, food, nightlife, swimming pool

o Restaurants / Bars:
      o Hot Dogs
      o Fiskfelagid Fish Company or the Fiskmarkadurinn Fish Market (must try raw fish in Iceland!)
      o Microbar Beer Tasting
      o Dillon Whiskey Bar

Mon – Pick up car rentals, go to Blue Lagoon (45 minutes away)

Countryside – Tues-Sat

Tues – check into Selfoss Home

o Day: Open
      o Hot tub + chase Northern Lights

Wed – “Golden Circle Tour” (3 hours total drive)

o Selfoss Geyser
      o Thingvellir Tectonic Plates snorkeling?
      o Gullfoss Golden Waterfall *better when it’s sunny out – Snowmobile, Walk on glacier

Thurs – Free day

Fri – Vik and Ice Cave (6 hours total drive)

o 7 a.m. Leave for South Iceland tour!
      o Stop by Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, Black Sand Beach, on the way
      o 1:30 departure - Skaftafell Ice Cave (3 hours)
      o 5-6 p.m. – Eat and depart for Selfoss

Sat – Check out, return rental cars, fly home!

=

1. How does this look?
      2. Based on the current itinerary and the fact it's in March, should we rent a 4x4?
      3. Any suggestions on car hire places? I've heard nightmare stories from Sixt, but they're the cheapest!
      4. How are:

- Dog sledding
      - Snorkeling between tectonic plates
      - Superjeep
      - Snowmobiling

5. Any tips on hunting for the lights?
      6. Any other crazy random ideas?

Thank you so much :)

8 Answers Dec 12, 2014 at 3:56 AM
    • Iceland Car Hire with Sand and Ash Protection

Iceland Dec 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I'm off to Iceland in October, and one of the insurances available is sand and ash protection. In Iceland, they can have storms that will literally strip the paint off the car and that is what this covers. We're planning on travelling down the south coast to Vik and therefore feel this insurance is worthwhile. I've only found the Hertz.is website that quotes a price for it, and the base car hire price for the Icelandic website is significantly higher than prepaying on the UK one. Hertz itself is more expensive than some of the other options available. What I don't want to do is think I am saving money by booking in the UK only to stung on insurance when picking up the car.
      Has anyone booked car hire in Iceland and who did you go with? Any suggestions?
      Thanks.

4 Answers Dec 12, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    • imstress's Profile Photo

Diesel vs Petrol, Car Rental, Supermarkets location

Iceland Nov 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Is diesel also widely found at all gas station?
      is the pricing the same as petrol?
      any website that shows the gas station and supermarket south of iceland (Skaftafell to Snaefellsnes)?
      Any discount code for www.carsiceland.com?

Will be in Iceland from 24 Nov-5 Dec.

3 Answers Nov 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM
    • Ahidyn's Profile Photo

Going to the Ice Cave

Reykjavík Region Oct 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Is there one day tour to the ice caves?

3 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 1:57 AM
    • Car Rental and Place to Stay in Iceland

Iceland Oct 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to visit Iceland this year end during Dec/23 to Dec/30 and I am planning to visit Reykjavik, Southern, and Golden Circle.

Please suggest:

1.) Car rental company, I am planning to rent 4x4.
      2.) Place to stay in Reykjavik and to the south, specially during Christmas.

Any other things that I need to be considered while traveling through this time?

Thank you very much everyone for your information in advance.

8 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    • All-you-can-eat places in Reykjavik, Iceland?

Reykjavík Oct 24, 2014 at 5:55 AM

What all-you-can-eat restaurants with an open buffet are recommended in Reykjavik? I might be traveling through there on a semi vacation next March. Good food and lots of it enhance the experience.

2 Answers Dec 2, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    • travelincousins's Profile Photo

Any Icelandic Experts?

Iceland Oct 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM

What recommendations do you have for a first time traveller to Iceland in November?

9 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    • Snorkeling Tours? Are they worthy?

Iceland Oct 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Hey everyone! So I was wondering if anyone has some insight on the snorkeling tours. Are they worth it? I'll be there in November and I know they said they still have them going on and sometimes combined with caving. Anyone have first hand knowledge? Appreciate the input! Thanks!

-Matt

3 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    • WallaceW's Profile Photo

Want to know more people in Iceland.

Iceland Oct 22, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Hello all of you, I am coming to Iceland for a month in start at 18 November 2014. Want to met some new people and get more information from the local people. planning to write a book about life style, food, party , music, Fashion etc....
      Many thanks

3 Answers Oct 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    • Lost Hat

Reykjavík Oct 18, 2014 at 5:53 PM

My in-laws recently returned from a trip from Reykjavic, Iceland. They stayed at the Centerhotel Plaza and purchased a hat at the store next to the hotel. It was a blue baseball cap with Iceland and a patch with a sheep on the front that was made from real sheep wool. He wore that hat everywhere since they came home a few weeks ago. Until today. He was volunteering to pack food and medical supplies for third world countries. Someone there stole his hat from his work station while he was in the restroom. Tonight I have a heartbroken kiddo on my hands. Can someone help me find the name and email of the store?

2 Answers Oct 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    • Must See Iceland Suggestions!!

Iceland Oct 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Hey guys and gals! My Iceland trip is fast approaching (Nov. 11th - 17th) and I'd like any must see or must do attractions. I know there are a lot of ideas in Reykjavik but I was wondering if there are some experienced travelers that highly recommend some other places or ideas! I will be traveling by myself so I'll be looking to make friends along the way and also open to anything and everything. As a side note I'm 28 years old and in good shape so I'm up for the easy going ideas but also the highly adventurous ideas. Looking forward to your input!!

6 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 5:48 AM
    • PaulW85's Profile Photo

Ice Caves in Oct.

Iceland Sep 21, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Any chance of getting in to see some ice caves sometime between oct. 4 - oct. 18? I've read that they typically open mid November, but was hoping some area might possibly be open. Any help would be appreciated.

2 Answers Oct 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    • Whole Iceland in 3 days?

Iceland Sep 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Just kidding :)

My wife and I will be in Iceland for three days in the very end of September. After reading forum posts I came up with the following plan. Can someone comment?

Day 1. Arriving to KEF at 6:50 am. Renting a car, out by 8 am. Driving towards Blue lagoon but by a longer route, along the shore on Southern Peninsula (Rt 41/425), stopping at the Bridge, geothermal area (where else?). Arriving to Blue lagoon around 10:30. Soak for 3 hours, leaving at 1:30, in Reykjavik by 2:30. Check-in, go see the city while everything is still open.

Day 2. Drive Golden Circle. If we leave early and have time, are there some nice places that we can include outside the circle route that are within reasonable distance and do not require 4x4?

Day 3. Here I have 2 options. Either drive to Borgarfjörður, then around Snæfellsness and back, OR go to Reykjadalur valley for hot springs, then to Sólheimajökull glacier.
      I plan to check weather in the morning and if it is better in one place, go there. If it is sunny in both places, or raining in both places, I don't know which one to choose. Advice?
      If we get to the glacier, are there any places to rent crampons and/or to join a guided walk on the glacier?

Fly out early morning on day 4.

Also, one of the evenings we would do drive somewhere to see the auroras. How to figure out where to go and how far from the city? What time do they usually start? Do they last for hours or is it a short "performance"?

How wrong am I in this plan? Is a small sedan enough for these trips (really cheap at $50/day at the airport).

Also, can someone recommend a truly romantic, not very expensive restaurant?

9 Answers Sep 16, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    • mbriito's Profile Photo

Blue Lagoon without tickets

Iceland Sep 12, 2014 at 2:35 AM

Well I was planning to go to Blue Lagoon (without enter in the water) but I was wondering if you can visit the area (I mean, only see the lake) without those (expensive) tickets...

4 Answers Sep 12, 2014 at 4:44 AM
    • Glacier in winter time

Iceland Sep 11, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Hi all,

I am planning to go to Iceland in mid-nov as well and I am interested in visiting glacier.

Just wondering, are glacier tours gonna close in mid-nov? And what else will be closed around that period of time? Any other things need to be consider while traveling in the time?

Thank you so much.

Cheers,
      Young

9 Answers Oct 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM
    • This volcano is called what?

Iceland Sep 10, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I wanted to ask. volcanoes in this video is called what?
      youtube.com/watch?v=aRsPeDQw...

1 Answer Sep 10, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    • Traveling Solo to Iceland in Early-Mid November!! Any Solo Trip Ideas?

Iceland Sep 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Hey Everybody!

I had a thread on here previously about coming in October with some friends but due to some unforseen circumstances I will be traveling to Iceland now in the beginning of November instead BY MYSELF! I'll be coming for 5-6 full days and since I will be by myself I'll be looking to do some fun excursions along with being in areas where there are a lot of people to meet.

1. Any must do suggestions for November (besides blue lagoon, which I'll be doing)?
      2. Are there any good hostels in Reykjavik? Always seems to be the best way to meet fellow travelers..
      3. Are excursions to the ice caves worthy and which is the best to go on?

I would like to fill every days with as many activities as possible so I'm still short a 3-4 days of activities :).

Appreciate any feedback you can give!

7 Answers Sep 8, 2014 at 2:54 AM
    • PaulW85's Profile Photo

October 4-18th travel plans

Iceland Aug 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Hi all, I have a trip planned for the dates above. And have a few questions. I've identified a couple of trips on Frommers:

frommers.com/destinations/ic...
      frommers.com/destinations/ic...

The rough plan will be to land. Rent a car and amalgamate the two trips to do the full loop around Iceland. My questions are about the time of year and the costs.

- In the second trip, the author ventures off the ring road and into the northwest coastal region. Will that still be feasible in October?
      - Are there any obvious choices to skip in that road trip? As my 13 days need to get me all the way around Iceland.
      - Approximate cost for a 4x4 for 12-13 days and suggestions on where to book.
      - Approximate cost for hotels/hostels in these areas, and if I need to book prior (i'm hoping it not being peak season should make it easy)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1 Answer Sep 4, 2014 at 5:16 AM
    • KseniaV's Profile Photo

Urgently searching for an accommodation

Reykjavík Aug 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Hello,

My name is Ksenia and I come from Estonia,Tallinn. I'll be studying as an exchange student at the University of Iceland for one semester. Couple of days ago I arrived to Iceland and temporarily staying at my friends place. But I am urgently searching for a room to rent! I am looking for a room or a person who is looking for a roommate or something that would locate more enough close to the university of Iceland and cost maximum about 300-350 eur per month. It is really hard to find a room now, because of the high season period. Is there somebody who knows smthing about this?
      My email is reitachan@gmail.com
      Looking forward for your replies,

Ksenia

7 Answers Sep 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    • 3 days in Iceland

Iceland Aug 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I will be in Reykjavik for 3 days in the middle of September. What is the best way to spend these days - to see a lot, to experience a lot? Where to go? Does it make sense to rent a car? Is there something that will warrant staying there overnight rather than returning to Reykjavik?

I will be with my friends but they might have their own itinerary, not sure yet.

9 Answers Sep 4, 2014 at 5:51 AM
    • Bardarbunga Volcano

Iceland Aug 28, 2014 at 6:52 AM

What's the current situation with the tourist attractions due to volcano, Bardarbunga, possibly erupting? Are MOST tourist sites closed, are ALL closed or ONLY the area where Bardarbunga volcano is? We travel out next week on Sept 2nd to Reykjavic, Iceland (we are planning to do lots of hikes, caves, hot springs and volcano excursions). i'm considering on cancelling this trip because of the possible eruption.

48 Answers Sep 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    • Cheap Campingstore

Reykjavík Aug 18, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Hay! I'm going to travel to Reykjavik. I'm planning on camping all the time. I need to get to a campingstore in Reykjavik for some supplies. Anybody has a place for that?
      Also: they say wild camping is prohibited in Reykjavik... Is it easy to do wild camping? Is there space? What should i look out for when wild camping (locationwise). Thanks!

3 Answers Sep 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    • briantravelman's Profile Photo

What is this place in Iceland?

Iceland Aug 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I found this place on Google Earth, completely by accident, and now I can’t find it again. It was this place were the ground was covered with moss, and there were several small lakes, and the lakes had some rocks and islands. It was in a pretty remote part of the country.
      I remember I was looking for places where there are forests, so it must be somewhere in or near a forested area, which should narrow it down quite a bit. I think it was in the north of the country, but I’m not 100% sure. The areas was also flat, no mountains. It might’ve been a national park or reserve. It was REALLY REALLY green. Like ridiculously green. It looked like something from Lord of the Rings. I’ve never seen any place like it before.
      Any ideas?

15 Answers Aug 22, 2014 at 4:03 AM
    • Late October Iceland Trip - Good Time of Year?

Iceland Aug 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Hey All!

I'm looking to travel to Iceland in late October for about 5 days and was curious to know if this time of year is worthy of the trip. I know a lot of excursions talk of Summer or Winter being the best time of year but October sort of falls inbetween. Just so you know, my friend and I are in our late 20's and like to not only see things but DO things as well. So any insight you can provide on adventurous tours or excursions will be appreciated as well. Looking forward to hearing advice from all of you experienced Iceland travelers! Thanks!

18 Answers Aug 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    • Road to Askja

Iceland Aug 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM

What is the current status of the road Askja for 4x4?

3 Answers Aug 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    • pkhrjhdh's Profile Photo

Keflavik between flights

Keflavík Aug 10, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Hi - We have 5 hours (8 hours in total - just allowing for checking in and out) between flights and just wondering best way to get into Keflavik town for a couple of hours for lunch and stretch our legs - we have been to Keflavik before, we stayed in a B&B overnight as we had an early flight back home, so we know what to expect. - and before anyone says - no, we do not want to go to Blue Lagoon!
      Also is there a place to leave our luggage while we do this?

1 Answer Aug 11, 2014 at 3:05 AM
    • Early october : Pre-book or not

Iceland Jul 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

We are going to iceland for 16 days in early october.
      Would do it counter clockwise.

Or otherwise depending upon weather.

I am wondering, do we need to book in advance.
      Our plan is to take cottages with kitchen 3-4 nights in
      South,
      South-east
      Myvatn
      Northwest
      West
      And the back to Reykjavik

5 Answers Aug 7, 2014 at 7:00 AM