Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Anastasia_131's Profile Photo

To Iceland by camper

Iceland Mar 24, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Hi everyone!
      We, a company of 6 (maybe 5), are going to explore to Iceland for 2 weeks in June. We will rent a motorhome or a camper. I've already been to Iceland, however it is my first experience with campers. So,
      1) What is a difference between a camper and a motorhome (except that a motorhome is a big camper), what is better for not too whimsical travelers?
      2) Which company to choose? This one - Campervan Iceland (www.campervaniceland.com) - attracted us with prices and very helpful attitude, however I didn't manage to find any reviews about it.
      3) All kind of tips appreciated!
      Thank you =)

more
    • Reykjavik hotels?

Iceland Mar 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I would appreciate a recommendation for nice, reasonably priced hotels in Reykjavik city-center for a middle-aged couple arriving in July 2015. thanks for your assistance. mark

more
    • Alternatizm's Profile Photo

Blönduós or Varmahlíd for 1 night stay in Sep

North Iceland Mar 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Hi!,

I have the Iceland trip (for 14 nights which will be around the island) in early of Sep. I'm thinking for staying 1 night at Blönduós or Varmahlíd. I'll be coming from Akureyri and will go to Westfjords. The two small villages are on the way.

Understand that they are difference; one is on the hill and another next to the coast. Which one would you recommend to stay? I look for the scenic view.

PS. Prior to this, I will have experience on staying in villages located next to a coast at Vik, Hofn, Seyðisfjörður.

more
    • SujataM's Profile Photo

public buses outside reykjavik

Iceland Mar 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM

hello everyone. me and my friends group will visit iceland on this may. but since no one in the group knows how to drive we have to depend mainly on public transport. what about visiting the main tourist spots outside reykjavik? is public buses available outside reykjavik?

more

Stay Neskaupstadur Or Seydisfjordur?

East Iceland Mar 4, 2015 at 6:31 AM

I planed a trip of Iceland in this Sep (4-18) by driving a small car (not 4WD).

My question is I'll be driving from Höfn to Seydisfjordur (inspired by Walter Mitty). Originally I planed to overnight at Seydisfjordur, however later by seeing Dr Watson'sTravel Trip map, it pointed out Neskaupstadur. So is it better to stay at Neskaupstadur?

more
    • Vanity666's Profile Photo

Renting a car without credit card

Iceland Yesterday

I have a question, we're travelling to Iceland and while trying to to rent a car through the rental agencies and all of them are asking a credit card for payment (or at least for a deposit).
      Unfortunately, we don't have a credit card and getting one in 2 weeks here is impossible (already asked).
      So, we're stuck with debit cards and cash.

Do you know of a rental agency that would accept all payment with debit card? Or maybe a private person who rents a car?

We're quite in a hurry because flight is in two weeks and we already booked all accommodations in various places.
      In the end, the thing we thought will be easiest turns out to be the hardest.

Thank you in advance

more
    • Vanity666's Profile Photo

Renting a car without credit card

Iceland Yesterday

I have a question, we're travelling to Iceland and while trying to to rent a car through the rental agencies and all of them are asking a credit card for payment (or at least for a deposit).
      Unfortunately, we don't have a credit card and getting one in 2 weeks here is impossible (already asked).
      So, we're stuck with debit cards and cash.

Do you know of a rental agency that would accept all payment with debit card? Or maybe a private person who rents a car?

We're quite in a hurry because flight is in two weeks and we already booked all accommodations in various places.
      In the end, the thing we thought will be easiest turns out to be the hardest.

Thank you in advance

5 Answers 13 hours ago
    • Reykjavik hotels?

Iceland Mar 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I would appreciate a recommendation for nice, reasonably priced hotels in Reykjavik city-center for a middle-aged couple arriving in July 2015. thanks for your assistance. mark

2 Answers Mar 28, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    • SujataM's Profile Photo

public buses outside reykjavik

Iceland Mar 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM

hello everyone. me and my friends group will visit iceland on this may. but since no one in the group knows how to drive we have to depend mainly on public transport. what about visiting the main tourist spots outside reykjavik? is public buses available outside reykjavik?

3 Answers Mar 27, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    • Anastasia_131's Profile Photo

To Iceland by camper

Iceland Mar 24, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Hi everyone!
      We, a company of 6 (maybe 5), are going to explore to Iceland for 2 weeks in June. We will rent a motorhome or a camper. I've already been to Iceland, however it is my first experience with campers. So,
      1) What is a difference between a camper and a motorhome (except that a motorhome is a big camper), what is better for not too whimsical travelers?
      2) Which company to choose? This one - Campervan Iceland (www.campervaniceland.com) - attracted us with prices and very helpful attitude, however I didn't manage to find any reviews about it.
      3) All kind of tips appreciated!
      Thank you =)

1 Answer Mar 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Blönduós or Varmahlíd for 1 night stay in Sep

North Iceland Mar 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Hi!,

I have the Iceland trip (for 14 nights which will be around the island) in early of Sep. I'm thinking for staying 1 night at Blönduós or Varmahlíd. I'll be coming from Akureyri and will go to Westfjords. The two small villages are on the way.

Understand that they are difference; one is on the hill and another next to the coast. Which one would you recommend to stay? I look for the scenic view.

PS. Prior to this, I will have experience on staying in villages located next to a coast at Vik, Hofn, Seyðisfjörður.

2 Answers Mar 10, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Stay Neskaupstadur Or Seydisfjordur?

East Iceland Mar 4, 2015 at 6:31 AM

I planed a trip of Iceland in this Sep (4-18) by driving a small car (not 4WD).

My question is I'll be driving from Höfn to Seydisfjordur (inspired by Walter Mitty). Originally I planed to overnight at Seydisfjordur, however later by seeing Dr Watson'sTravel Trip map, it pointed out Neskaupstadur. So is it better to stay at Neskaupstadur?

3 Answers Mar 10, 2015 at 3:58 AM
    • gullfoss by car and the ring road

Iceland Feb 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Can I reach Gullfoss waterfalls with a normal car? is the road fully paved? and the ring road is all paved?

14 Answers Mar 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM
    • Traveling without reservations in early september.

Iceland Feb 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM

we are planning to drive the ring road (or parts of it) in early september. we would like the flexibility of going without reservations so that we can stretch or shorten our stay in any given place as we go. there are three of us, so we'd generally need two rooms. camping out would be far, far from optimal. are we likely to find easy availability at the last moment?
      if not, do any of the tour companies who help to plan self-drive trips offer a service that would allow us to contact them and have them rearrange stays as we go if the mood strikes us?

9 Answers Feb 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    • LarryN3's Profile Photo

Iceland self tours (independent)

Iceland Feb 15, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Looking at all the travel sites in Iceland and wondering what to do. We are interested in doing a 2 week independent tour but having trouble getting help from websites. Seems there are some questionable sites and their practices. Can anyone help with my dilemma. Just want car rental, hotel accomodations info and some tips.
      Thanks in advance for any help.

11 Answers Mar 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM
    • Krossárfoss

Iceland Feb 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM

There is a Krossárfoss in my map and I supposed it's the small and awful (look at the tubes at each side of the falls) here enclosed. But looking for "Krossárfoss" I found pictures of which for sure is Foss á Siðu. What's wrong concerning this?

6 Answers Feb 11, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    • Southern Ring Road waterfalls

Kirkjubæjarklaustur Feb 9, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Hi there,
      Driving eastwards along the Southern Ring Road I found three waterfalls with apparent no name between Kirkjubæjarklaustur and Foss á Síðu. Two of them are very similar but not the same one, they are also of the Foss á Síðu type. Does anybody know the names of these falls if they have one? Shoukd like to add the pics but I don't know how to do it (if possible).
      Thanks.

8 Answers Mar 8, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    • ANZAC Day Dawn gathering

Iceland Feb 8, 2015 at 1:54 AM

Hi

We will be in Reykjavik for ANZAC Day and wonder if any other Australians and Kiwis who will be there, or have been there, for ANZAC Day know of any dawn gatherings for the occasion?

Cheers

Andrew and Judy

1 Answer Feb 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM
    • Geothermal Pump Stations

Reykjavík Feb 7, 2015 at 6:25 AM

Im looking for the locations of each of these (archdaily.com/90406/geotherm...) Geothermal Pump Stations by PK Arkitektar. I wondered if you guys could help me with this information as I can't find any online. I need to know how many there are and their locations. Any more information about the hot water wells in Reykjavik would be a great help.
      Thanks
      Adam

9 Answers Feb 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    • Looking for HIkers

Iceland Jan 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM

I am going to hike the Laugavegurinn Trail from Landmannalaugar to Skogar in the first half of July 2015. I am planning on going by myself (I am an experienced hiker), but if there is anyone who is going alone or in a small group that is interested in hiking together, please contact me: jdcal64@gmail.com

John C.

1 Answer Feb 1, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    • changing money

Reykjavík Jan 26, 2015 at 3:45 AM

I realise that rates fluctuate but in general am I better changing my money in the UK or am I likely to get a better rate in Rekjavic? Many thanks.

11 Answers Feb 4, 2015 at 9:25 AM
    • Suggestions at Keflavik

Keflavík Jan 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM

My wife and me will be passing through KEF at end of April to early May. Would love to spend 4 to 5 days at Iceland. Need some suggestions of want to do for two 65 years old couples.

11 Answers Jan 28, 2015 at 5:15 AM
    • transportation

Reykjavík Jan 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Hi. We are 4 adults. What are the options and costs of getting from the airport to the centre? We are staying at the Hotel Fron and will arrive on a Saturday afternoon. Many thanks.

9 Answers Jan 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM
    • TravelingSue's Profile Photo

Questions about Reykjavik

Reykjavík Dec 31, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Will be in Reykjavik for 4 days in February. Main purpose is to hopefully see the Northern Lights. How much light will we have during the day and what do you recommend to see other than Golden Circle Tour? Thanks.

5 Answers Jan 1, 2015 at 5:30 PM
    • nikooru_who's Profile Photo

Info needed!

Iceland Dec 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Hey me and my partner both age 24 are planning a short trip to Iceland 3-4 days ish.

I'm interested in the general touristy things such as lights, whale watching, blue lagoon.

What's the best time to go/ best to get a tour?/hotels.. Any tips or info would be greatful, never been on a cold holiday before but always wanted to go :)

Thanks ! X

7 Answers Feb 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    • Backpacking in Iceland

Iceland Dec 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Iceland this upcoming July. We are spending the first day in Reykjavik, and then we have 4 days that we can backpack before we have to travel to the Blue Lagoon for a night and back up to Reykjavik to catch our flight back to the US. We know for sure we want to spend some time on the Landmannalaugar, other than that we have no idea of what we want to do or how to go about doing it. So our questions fall into these general catagories.

How is Iceland on open ground camping?
      We are 23, how do we go about renting a car or should we? Alternatives?
      Best places to backpack that we can park our car overnight in the parking lot?
      Nicest hotels around the Blue Lagoon?
      How is the language barrier?

Any and all advice is appreciated as this is our first international travel experience. Thank you!

4 Answers Jan 5, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    • TOUR TO ICELAND

Iceland Dec 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hi. I'm a traveler-photographer. I'm going to Iceland in April 7-12.15, my italian friend will be there and guiding us for Photography in a good places.
      I just need 2-3 friends to share the expences of Jeep renting, fuel, guide (not salary) and rooms in hotel.
      For more details don't hesitate to write. Waiting for meeting crazy traveler-photographers.
      Hrach

5 Answers Jan 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM
    • Samsung Lenses or Adapter + Compact Flash Cards

Iceland Dec 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Hello, I made a massive mistake and forgot a Nikon - Samsung NX adapter at home for my Samsung camera. I am currently in Iceland and I'm looking for someone that sells Samsung NX lenses or might have the adapter.

I do have a back up camera but it takes Compact Flash cards. Are there any retailers in Iceland that sell compact flash cards and memory card readers?

I greatly appreciate any help!

Jeremy

4 Answers Dec 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM
    • AlfredoG3's Profile Photo

Car Rental from SIXT or CarsIceland.com

Iceland Dec 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hey guys,

Has anyone rented from SIXT before in Iceland?

I've heard mixed reviews, but they're exponentially cheaper than the rest of the agencies.

Cars Iceland -
      Vitara 4x4 w/ GPS for $489
      Duster 4x4 for $505.

SIXT -
      Chevy Trax w/ GPS for $400.
      Chevy Captiva w/ GPS for $458.

Both companies include unlimited mileage and winter tires.

I thought Sixt might be fly-by-night, but they actually have multiple locations worldwide. In fact, they have a location down the street from me here in New Jersey.

Thoughts please?

Thank you :)

Alf

10 Answers Dec 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Suggestions.

Iceland Dec 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM

If I was to opt for a trip to Iceland, is it better to take a regular multi-day tour or can I put together a plan by basing myself in Reyjavek and take tours from there, which I have seen?

I am single and do not drive, so I cant simply rent a car.

6 Answers Dec 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM
    • AlfredoG3's Profile Photo

Thoughts / Suggestions / Additions to Itinerary

Iceland Dec 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Hi everyone!

I'll be in Iceland March 5-14, and I would LOVE some advice on our current rough itinerary :)

We're eager to see the lights (last time I came, I caught a very mild showing, and can't wait to hunt them down again)

There will be 6 of us, and we are planning on staying in Reykjavik between Mar 5-9 (Airbnb booked) and a vacation home near Lake Thingvallavatn Mar 10-14 (Vrbo booked).

Reykjavik - Fri-Mon

Fri-Sun - Explore and walk the city! Museums, food, nightlife, swimming pool

o Restaurants / Bars:
      o Hot Dogs
      o Fiskfelagid Fish Company or the Fiskmarkadurinn Fish Market (must try raw fish in Iceland!)
      o Microbar Beer Tasting
      o Dillon Whiskey Bar

Mon – Pick up car rentals, go to Blue Lagoon (45 minutes away)

Countryside – Tues-Sat

Tues – check into Selfoss Home

o Day: Open
      o Hot tub + chase Northern Lights

Wed – “Golden Circle Tour” (3 hours total drive)

o Selfoss Geyser
      o Thingvellir Tectonic Plates snorkeling?
      o Gullfoss Golden Waterfall *better when it’s sunny out – Snowmobile, Walk on glacier

Thurs – Free day

Fri – Vik and Ice Cave (6 hours total drive)

o 7 a.m. Leave for South Iceland tour!
      o Stop by Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, Black Sand Beach, on the way
      o 1:30 departure - Skaftafell Ice Cave (3 hours)
      o 5-6 p.m. – Eat and depart for Selfoss

Sat – Check out, return rental cars, fly home!

=

1. How does this look?
      2. Based on the current itinerary and the fact it's in March, should we rent a 4x4?
      3. Any suggestions on car hire places? I've heard nightmare stories from Sixt, but they're the cheapest!
      4. How are:

- Dog sledding
      - Snorkeling between tectonic plates
      - Superjeep
      - Snowmobiling

5. Any tips on hunting for the lights?
      6. Any other crazy random ideas?

Thank you so much :)

9 Answers Dec 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    • Iceland Car Hire with Sand and Ash Protection

Iceland Dec 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I'm off to Iceland in October, and one of the insurances available is sand and ash protection. In Iceland, they can have storms that will literally strip the paint off the car and that is what this covers. We're planning on travelling down the south coast to Vik and therefore feel this insurance is worthwhile. I've only found the Hertz.is website that quotes a price for it, and the base car hire price for the Icelandic website is significantly higher than prepaying on the UK one. Hertz itself is more expensive than some of the other options available. What I don't want to do is think I am saving money by booking in the UK only to stung on insurance when picking up the car.
      Has anyone booked car hire in Iceland and who did you go with? Any suggestions?
      Thanks.

4 Answers Dec 12, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    • imstress's Profile Photo

Diesel vs Petrol, Car Rental, Supermarkets location

Iceland Nov 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Is diesel also widely found at all gas station?
      is the pricing the same as petrol?
      any website that shows the gas station and supermarket south of iceland (Skaftafell to Snaefellsnes)?
      Any discount code for www.carsiceland.com?

Will be in Iceland from 24 Nov-5 Dec.

3 Answers Nov 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM
    • Ahidyn's Profile Photo

Going to the Ice Cave

Reykjavík Region Oct 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Is there one day tour to the ice caves?

3 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 1:57 AM
    • Car Rental and Place to Stay in Iceland

Iceland Oct 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to visit Iceland this year end during Dec/23 to Dec/30 and I am planning to visit Reykjavik, Southern, and Golden Circle.

Please suggest:

1.) Car rental company, I am planning to rent 4x4.
      2.) Place to stay in Reykjavik and to the south, specially during Christmas.

Any other things that I need to be considered while traveling through this time?

Thank you very much everyone for your information in advance.

8 Answers Oct 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    • All-you-can-eat places in Reykjavik, Iceland?

Reykjavík Oct 24, 2014 at 5:55 AM

What all-you-can-eat restaurants with an open buffet are recommended in Reykjavik? I might be traveling through there on a semi vacation next March. Good food and lots of it enhance the experience.

2 Answers Dec 2, 2014 at 6:45 AM