Iceland Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay on golden circle and how long does it take?

by billywinston Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I want to drive round the golden circle and see everything there is to see on this route. I am thinking of staying at Selfoss. From Selfoss how long would it take me to drive round the circle. I don't want to rush and I can stay up to 3 days in this area if I need to. Is Selfoss a good place to base myself, returning here at the end of the day's driving or would it better to spend perhaps 1 night in Selfoss and then drive for a while and spend another night elsewhere on the circle, if so, where would be another good place to stay?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay on golden circle and how long does it take?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The Golden Circle is a day trip out of Reykjavik and you can do it quite easily in half a day, or you can stretch it out to a full day. It is only about a 45 minute drive from Reykjavik, so there is no need to stay anywhere else if you don't want to.

Selfoss is not a terribly interesting place to stay (we stayed there after doing the Golden Circle); actually just east of town at Eldhestar, where we went for a 1/2 day ride on Icelandic horses the next day. Selfoss is perhaps a 30 minute drive from Reykjavik.

http://www.eldhestar.is/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I agree with Grumpy Driver. The Golden Circle is small, a spit from Reykjavik so not really any point staying anywhere within it. How long are you in Iceland for? Will you go to any other places. My opinion would be to leave Reykjavik in the morning, do the Golden Circle and then, in the afternoon, move on towards your next destination. The Ring Road is the direct route to most stops and sights around Iceland, it is free of traffic and, as Ieland is pretty small, it is easy to get around. To give you some idea I left Rykjavik, did the G.C in the morning and then drove to Kirkjubaejarklauster to stay overnight. I had a relaaxed and leisurely day, stopping at various other places en route.
    A fantastic country to see and explore - have fun! :-)

• Re: Where to stay on golden circle and how long does it take?

by billywinston Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Thank you, your replies are very helpful.
    I was thinking of staying somewhere on the Golden Circle because I will be driving from the airport and this will be be my first night in Iceland. As I leave the UK very early in the morning (and arrive in Iceland at 8:45 a.m.) I may be tired, which is why I don't want to plan to drive too far on my first day. After the Golden Circle I intend to travel further along the south coast. I have 5 days in total. I don't really like cities so I'm not sure I want to go to Reykjavik or if I do it will be at the end of my stay. I've seen on the map that the airport is further away from the Golden Circle area than Reykjavik is. Can anyone tell me how much extra time coming from the airport would add on to my first day's journey?

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

The airport is about a 45 minute drive from downtown Reykjavik, and Selfoss is around 20 minutes further than Reykjavik. You won't run into too much trouble avoiding cities in Iceland if you plan to avoid Reykjavik, as it is the only city there. Anything else along the south coast will be small towns or villages with limited accomodation and dining.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Iceland Travel Answer Locations