Iceland Travel Answers

change location

Is it necessary to have 4x4 car?

by barneyx Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Hi
I'm hoping to travel to Iceland in mid-April. I intend to hire a car and tour the Golden Circle and possibly other areas (any suggestions?). I will have 4 or 5 full days and don't intend to go to Reykjavik. Do I need a 4x4 car to see all the sights on the Golden Circle at this time of year? Will there be any snow on the roads at this time and are the roads paved or gravel to get to the 'sights'? I also want to go snowmobiling so hope to be able to drive to wherever this starts. Can I do this in a small car? The cheapest car appears to be a Hyundai i10. This is exactly what I drive at home but is it adequate in Iceland in April?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Is it necessary to have 4x4 car?

by ValdiSig Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM

No, it is not.
    A 4x4 is necessary to travel on the highland tracks but they do not open until summer so there is no point in hiring one.
    The roads to the sights on the golden circle are all paved and a Hyundai is quite adequate.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Re: Is it necessary to have 4x4 car?

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 6:59 AM

With 4 - 5 days you will get to see quite a lot. As above, you do not need a 4WD but the weather will be changable and unpredictable - clear, sunny, blue skies one minute and then a blizzard is possible the next. It is advisable to carry food, drink and blankets in the car at this time of year and to take care driving. It is abeautiful time of year to visit.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Iceland Travel Answer Locations