I am trying to decide between flying or taking the ferry to the Westman Islands. My travel guide says that flying can be "sometimes terrifying" with planes knocked around by the winds, and that flights are "regularly canceled" due to the weather.
This raises several questions for me:
1. How often are the flights canceled (once a week, twice a week, etc)?
2. If a flight is canceled, are all the flights for that day usually canceled?
3. How hard is it to get booked on the next non-canceled flight?
4. Are the flights really scary/bumpy?
We will be renting a car regardless. I am considering two scenarios:
1. Fly from Reykjavik to Westman Islands
2. Fly from Westman Islands, to Reykjavik, to Akureyri
3. Rent car in Akureyri, drive clock-wise back to Keflavik
1. Fly from Reykjavik to Akureyri
2. Rent car in Akureyri, drive clock-wise back to Keflavik
3. Take ferry to/from Westman Islands
If we do the 1st scenario (flying to Westman Islands), we rent the car for 2 fewer days.
I appreciate any advice you might have!